Trade Talk 2019: who should we beat our chest like an ape about now?

I’m glad we got Shiel but I don’t think we can say this was a great trade period. We gave two first rounders for him which is I think over the odds — not far over, but over. And we sold Colyer for a fourth round pick, which may not be a loss but may not be a win either.

I hope Shiel turns out well. Very well.

2 Likes

No it hasn’t. Adelaide paid 2x 1st rounders for Gibbs last year. Melbourne paid 2x 1st rounders for Lever. Even Hawthorn paid a 1st and 2nd for a busted and out of contract Omeara. The value isn’t a new thing. It’s what you pay for All australian quality players.
GWS manipulated their trades to ensure they could push the hardest deal for the most valuable guy going out, or keep him. Smart management by them. We might’ve got him for less if they weren’t able to alleviate the cap issue.

1 Like

The competition starts next March… trade week is a load of wank, it ain’t worth ‘winning’

1 Like

Why do people always forget to add the other pick we get back. We get a second back which is exactly what Shiel is worth, in contract. Things got a bit crazy with the Scully trade but that deal is on the money. The bloke is a deadset gun, we have been bemoaning our plodding inside group for 10 years. We just got one of the most dynamic inside mids in the comp and he is 25. Fark me.

16 Likes

We have put all our eggs in the one basket.

Going to be hard to get quality in from now on, so need to hope the list continues to improve.

Collingwood are the big winners out of this. Getting Beams for another crack with plenty of players to return.

May seem odd as we both traded two 1sts, but our list has shown nothing at the business end yet.

I would’ve liked another (later) pick coming back our way, but I can live with the deal as is. If Shiel gives us 100 or 150 quality games, it’s immaterial.
IMO Colyer is neither here nor there, I still think he can play but (like Melks) it never looked like happening here, so take the peanuts and move on.

Has anyone crunched list spot numbers yet?

BJ, Jerrett, Colyer, Green out
McNernan, Shiel in
So… only taking Pick 34 and 62 at this point?

Unless we cut you know who, yep.

Good point. Although out of all those, I still think Shiel is better. Lever possibly but a different position, hard to say. Gibbs is older, and O’Meara is an injury risk.

Worsfold?

Real talk I think and hope this points to Bags staying. I’d cut Long still, but it’s hard to make a case for pick 80??? doing more than Dea, let alone pick 100 odd doing more than Bags.

I’d still look at Lonie too.

1 Like

Watching Beams on tv just now. I reckon I gave him some change in Collins st this arvo.

4 Likes

Pretty sure he’s contracted.

Us bringing in Shiel is like the tigers bringing Prestia, only Shiel is a better player

9 Likes

One thing I like about Shiel as well is he is the utter professional. Preparation is metliculous, similar to Zac. I hope this rubs off on the younger players as well.

9 Likes

Smack upgraded to senior list, so we will have two senior list spots (draft) and a rookie list spot.

And took unders in pay to play with us.

The guy is legit made from the right stuff.

14 Likes

I’m disappointed with the price we have paid.

Shiel will have to help us convince a FA to come from GWS in the next year or two, because he has cost us all our trade currency.

We should manage our list in 2019 in order to find the $$$ to reopen the cap space for a FA…basically, uncontracted players on minimal dollars, upgrade McKernan and Draper, avoid taking picks 102/120…instead, expand the rookie list as needed.

Yep. Exciting isn’t it. Always hope…

29 Likes

Trade period is over and the deal is done. You can if and but and say what could’ve should’ve been done. Thee are two sides in the negotiation and each wants to win or at the very least not get screwed. This one sounds right. We have an excellent player who fills a need. Reckon the focus is on what he brings to the side and how we best utilise him.

3 Likes
  1. Damien Barrett is a absolute flog. If he fell into a bucket of n1pples, he would come out sucking his thumb.
    [/quote]

That is gold. :joy::joy::+1:

4 Likes