Trade Discussion 2018 thread #1 - We’re gonna need a bigger boat for the wave pool!

I reckon he has been treated like crap personally. I’m not totally convinced by him yet but he deserves a decent block of games to prove himself. Too often it has seemed like he is the scapegoat and first one dropped

3 Likes

Ever since I saw him wearing a Bulldogs scarf at the GF I’ve been paranoid about him joining that trainwreck of a club. All of North, Saints, Blues and Hawks would be keen you’d think

I’m with @Clone_Hirdy_Lid_Off in the “looks promising but sitting on the fence as not convinced yet” category. However, I definitely like the vision you’re laying down! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Not atm 4 games in a row, 5 after tonight.

Was he really treated that badly? He got games in 2015 and a chunk in 2016, and then spent 2017 learning his midfield craft in the VFL. Which does seem to have benefited him now.

He was most certainly treated poorly in my opinion.

He spent all of last year in the VFL working on his midfield craft and did everything that was asked of him. In the mean time he was talked up almost weekly as a big body mid and successor to Jobe but was hardly used even though plenty in the seniors were performing poorly.

This year is much the same. Smashing it at VFL level while the senior mids were underperforming.

He should have been getting far more opportunities than what he’s got.

2 Likes

Imo definitely.

1 Like

You have no idea what was asked of him.

He may have been only performing part of what he was asked to do. He may have been asked to play defensive yet was ball watching etc etc.

1 Like

This is true.

I have no idea about whats being asked of the team now or last year either.

From an outsider looking in it doesn’t look like they are meeting the targets though.

Needs a good 15-20 in a row. Let him play with the freedom of knowing he won’t be dropped if he has a poor game

1 Like

Let’s assume he did do what was asked last year

Then it comes down to opportunity and he’d shown nothing as a pure inside mid so as a more inside outside type who was he replacing?

Hep, Zaka, Goddard, Zerrett are a pretty strong group. And Parish was far more competitive over the footy which would have been key to what he really needed to work on. Colyer as a speedy winger was playing poorly but Lang was hardly like for like.

And Stewart was firing as 3rd tall.

In any case he has worked his way into midfield now and then more injuries have allowed some freedom there. Up to him to ensure he becomes a mainstay.

“ We need some of our senior players to take a paycut to get a forward”
“Nah get ■■■■■■”

=

“I have a problem with the coach”

McCartney could’ve been sacked 6 months earlier and the same scenario would’ve played out - as I heard it, anyway.

So you make it sound like he has done a bad thing? Why the hell should he take a pay cut for them to overpay someone else?

I don’t think anything of the sort?
The original starting point was “a (future) bulldogs captain would never leave”, in relation to Bont, when in fact their supposed future captain left, then their actual captain followed.

So was Griffen given an offer below his value or was just he chasing a big paycheck? Given the contract they gave to Tom Boyd it’s entirely possible it’s the former. Probably a bit of both in the end though.

6 years

That’s going to be pretty hard to match

If he wants to come home he wants to come home. $$$/contract only part of it. As per Danger.

1 Like

Paul Connors his manager.

You think clubs won’t offer him 6 here?

I’d think it was already happening hence the WC ‘upping their ante’ comment

Clubs should be offering overs for him so they don’t match and can get him without having to trade.