Trade Discussion 2018 thread #1 - We’re gonna need a bigger boat for the wave pool!

I don’t disagree but I just can’t work out why he kept Jackson Merrett on the list. With our ability to find a Guelfi like gem, it has been a big head scratcher for me. He makes these types of decisions all the time with Kav being another recent example.

3 Likes

so mitch wallis considering deal from bombers…

1 Like

Brisbane have also offered him a contract don’t think he’ll move interstate tho

Tom Morris seems to think he’ll stay a Bulldog. Would love for him to join us though.

My Wishlist would be

• Shiel
  • Beams
  • Wallis

Would be rapt with any of them.

Sounds like he was going to stay but Brisbane and Essendon offering contracts has put a spanner in the works

Dodoro getting ready to put on some jackets

1 Like

We’d possibly have to delist someone underserving to fulfill the minimum list turnover obligations this year if we’d have delisted all the guys who were deemed by many to be lucky to get contracts last year. All of which have played senior footy this year, and in some cases quite well.

2 Likes

“whom”, not “which”. Our rookies are people, not objects.

3 Likes

Some players have been lucky to get extra years because you can’t just go and delist 8 blokes if that years draft doesn’t have the talent to replace the delisted players like Merrett. Had we drafted another 3 or so youngsters last year then we wouldn’t be able to delist them this year due to mandatory 2 year contracts (without paying out their contract and shooting ourself in the salary cap foot). Then we would be forced to delist handy fringe players like Brown, McKernan just so we can use our good picks in this years strong draft. Does that make sense?

Basically, hold onto players like Merrett and Long for depth so we can delist them this year and draft better talent in a stronger draft.

2 Likes

There’s probably some truth in that but I was told last year that the main consideration is whether the resultant draft pick that occurs after that delisting offers more value than the already listed player. FWIW, Jerrett was gone before Morgan left for NM, Morgan got a 2 year deal & we offered one hence Merrett was retained over pick 100+ (given we passed on pick 80 something which became Mynott in the Rookie Draft).

4 Likes

Are you excited

what exactly is a salary cap foot?
@Bomb_Doe if you know, can you post some sort of image to explain it?

Would be wrapt to get him but i also wouldn’t lose sleep if we don’t.

1 Like

If Long hadn’t been kept by then it was used on him. Otherwise, we didn’t pass on any live picks.

But…couldn’t we have gotten rid of Jerrett and Long, and just gone with an expanded rookie list?

We must have still seen some potential in these players…

Jerrett strikes me as a “highly rated internally” type that is loved by the coaches and the playing group. He probably trains hard and does all the extras, shows leadership and looks after the newbies at the club. but at the end of the day, he just cant piece it together on field. probably all the hard work is what afforded him an extra year on the list. if everyone likes you, they want to see you succeed. i doubt it would also have anything to do with list managing an extra spot to delist the year after.

1 Like

I think if he was highly rated internally, he’d be getting a game in the ones week after week and we’d all be frothing at the mouth about it.

See exhibit 1: Myers, D

3 Likes

i would think Myers offers alot more than Jackson does. especially in size and inside mid craft.

No arguments in 2018, but there might have been a bit of … debate about that on here a few years back when Myers was getting a game week in week out and averaging 14 touches or whatever.

Point is, that if the coaching panel rated Jerrett that highly internally (like they did Myers), he’d probably be getting a game - at least once in a while. He ain’t.

being highly rated internally doesent guarantee you a game though.

Sorry aboods, I can’t help here.
@Heather_Mills would be more informed about such matters.

1 Like