Trade Discussion 2018 thread #1 - We’re gonna need a bigger boat for the wave pool!

O’Meara all over again.

So [say] Shiel says he wants to go to the hawks. What influence does carlton’s draft position have in that situation?

1 Like

Hawthorn have to come up with a motherlode trade to get him, or he ends up staying at GWS.

Not necessarily

The factor of losing him as a F/A following year to a compo pick likely late first round only is there.

Carlton position is irrelevant. And Shiel has indicated would be just as happy to stay

1 Like

Wrong.

When Shiel is considering his future as an AFL footballer, he is Not thinking about who has the best draft picks.

He is picking the club which is right for him. From all the trades that have been completed over the last 10 years, if a player says he wants to get to Hawthorn or Essendon. GWS and the new club will make it happen. Draft picks are irrelevant to a player choosing their desired club.

So the quote about Carlton being in the box seat is wrong.

1 Like
1 Like

I accidentally went into that sheet stain of a paper. Apologies.

I’d be happy if we went down the track of offering Goddard a part-time development coach role and play on for another season.

With the understanding that he might only play 12-13 games next season…

1 Like

Please highlight your hypotheticals more clearly.

7 Likes

Fair point. No heart attacks intended.

Interesting reading that Hawthorn have Gaff as there number 1 priority. To be honest if a club comes to me and says we’re interested but only if this other deal falls over I’d automatically say “thanks but no thanks”. Smart by Essendon knocking the Beams rumour on the head. Shiel is our number 1 target it seems. The only thing that worries me is that he was a Carlton kid. Don’t underestimate the fact that some blokes want to play for the club that they supported, especially if it’s on great money.

Not when he turns 26 early next year & they will be lucky to be contending by time he is finishing up.

Crash and bash inside mid isn’t playing well into 30’s.

If he leaves a contender it will be to someone who can contend over next 5yrs IMO

3 Likes

Money would be the only reason he goes to Carlton right now.

Hawthorn will get Sheils and Gaff to go with Omeara, Mitchell, Smith etc

They will have rebuilt their midfield and win more flags the ■■■■■.

3 Likes

This x1000. Is he mates with Dev Smith?

In hindsight, the only reason we had a rookie spot was the Long upgrade, since Draper and Smack were retained as rookies and McNiece promoted from Cat B to Cat A. However, I’m unsure how/when this was all reported, and we definitely didn’t know the status of McNiece for a while.

We don’t have any spare spots on the senior list. We have only the minimum 4 rookie spots allowed (Smack, Draper, McNiece, Mynott). Long was promoted to the senior list and Lavender is Cat B.

For the love of football we must stop Hawthorn! - Essendon 2019 slogan

2 Likes

Honestly, how do we even achieve a Shiel trade? Seems like such a pipe-dream.

Not a pipe dream. Just got to be more than GWS would get via F/A compo.

Top 10 pick in strong draft a prime starting point

They’d get something in the top 10s, surely? I’m all for Shiel coming by the way, he’d be a f**king ridik pick up but I’m not convinced that it’ll get done.