Trade Discussion 2018 thread #1 - We’re gonna need a bigger boat for the wave pool!

Fark trading Smack now, if Hooker is staying back as it appears he is then we need him.

The trio of JD, Stringer, Smack (fwd/ruck) is fantastic. Leaving JD at chf and out of ruck.

IMO he has worked his way into best 22 for us. And we expect to feature high up the ladder in the coming years, so bringing in an 18yr old kid as a 3rd round crap shoot as well doesn’t help us there.

He is a big body & gets strongest defender. Physically in his prime. Throw his weight around in fwd line. A good mark. Knows where the goals are.

Plenty of other players to trade we actually have surplus of like kpd, hbf & hff types.

9 Likes

So we trade Stewart then? Because we can’t play all four in the forwardline, so one of Stewart or Smack would languish in the reserves.

If a club offered a good deal for Smack, I’d take it with no joy. It’d be a wonderful reward for Smack to be a regular senior player with a good contract. A real achievement for him and a win win for both him and the club.

3 Likes

Bad luck. They are very different players anyway.

Stewart has also been bypassed by Brown because he doesn’t actually play like a true kpf nor does he do well pinch hitting in ruck as Smack does. He’s a big guy but with very little physicality.

If the Stringer transition to midfield works then Stewart might get 3rd tall back, until then he is a 2’s player needing to work on becoming an actual kpf with how he contests, leading patterns etc which is what is happening.

1 Like

Agreed + there is a fair chance on at least one of them being injured. It’s a good depth area. If we are going to trade out a player imo it should come from defence.

1 Like

Even if stringer does go midfield predominately, we can’t have Joe, Smack and Stewart in the same forwardline, we get killed on the rebound. I’m glad you mentioned Brown too, as I forgot about him.

Lets say as Clark_Griswold mentioned, Gold Coast will have plenty of picks come draft day and won’t want to use them all on kids. They need to top up strategically with mature bodies to help the kids development.

If they came to us brandishing a second round pick, or was willing to trade us a midfielder like Brodie in exchange for Smack and pick upgrades, you’d have to take that and run wouldn’t ya?

Sorry SW, gotta disagree with you there, defence, while it may look like we have a glut of players there, we lack defenders in that sweet spot of 22-26yo’s. Hooker will be 30 next year, Hurls 29, Dea and Ambrose 27. Then we have a bunch of kids, Ridley, Bezerk, Francis.

So who there would we get value for trade? Hurley, yes, but we’d be mental trading him.

1 Like

I don’t understand the desperate need to trade any of our forward options. We’ve got Daniher, Smack, Stewart and Brown. 2 of them are going to play every week. We need 2 for depth as is seen right now when the original 2 are either out injured or out of form.
All of Stewart, Brown and Smack are cheap fringe/depth options who are young enough to have more than a few years left if they hold form and they can do a job immediately.
I really think anyone thinking we’re going to get any pick anywhere near the top 40 for any of them is dreaming.
We gave up 70 something for Stewart. Yes he’s shown some good signs since then, but he’s also been dropped for an extended period from a team that is well outside the 8. So he’d be worth no more now.

Brown and Smack are older journeymen. Just because they’re in good form right now doesn’t mean clubs will expect it to continue for multiply years.
Clubs would be interested in Smack because they know he’s on the rookie list and if they offer a 2 year contract at anything remotely above the bare minimum contract, he’d potentially jump at it.

2 Likes

To be fair to Smack, Stewart couldn’t get a game at GWS when we offered them that pick in the 70’s, Shaun at the moment is playing regular seniors and contributing goals and taking marks. You’re right that any contract offer would be better than what he’s getting now, but he’s still gotta be traded, and on current form and his ability to play forward and ruck would be appealing for struggling teams that need a mature body that has at least another 5-6 years left in them.

All I am saying, despite my reluctance of losing smack (he’s been a quiet favourite of mine), you’d have to look at any good offers for him.

1 Like

Surely Francis is going to get us something decent,

Stewart def has his ground level pressure / tackling. I’m not sure we lose much if at all on Stringer vs Stewart on that front.

But what Stringer is doing is pinch hitting in midfield. So then it’s LAV vs Stewart for 3rd tall.

AHHH forgot about Lav too. He’s one bloke I don’t want to lose.

I’ve been riding his wave from way before we drafted him, I badly want to see him succeed with us.

4 Likes

All I’m saying is we won’t get good offers for him. Unless you consider a 3rd round pick or most likely worse, a good offer.

1 Like

A third rounder for Smack would be over the odds. He is a rookie ! He will always produce a bit on an irregular basis but 1st or 2nd rounder - No club would be that irresponsible and we would jump at a 3rd rounder if someone was stupid enough to offer it !

2 Likes

Jack Steele could add some hardness.

I think Stewart could make a quite handy defender.

7 Likes

8 Likes

Well as he said - it’s a no-brainer.

5 Likes

I’ve been thinking about this lately.

Tall and mobile enough to go with the new prototype player.

He’s main liability as a key forward is contested marking, but the advantage of playing on defence is you can spoil rather than have to clunk.

I’d like to see it. I reckon he’d be better than Hartly.

What pick should we accept for McKernan
3rd rounder? or is he worth 2nd rounder?