Trade Targets

We were only obliterated because the big bodied players we had were both useless at winning the ball and at pressuring opposition.

In fact the whole team dropped off pressure wise as evident from our tackle stats which went from like 40 in 1st to 9 in 2nd IIRC

You look at Brisbane with Rocky, Beams and Zorko as best mid setup and they still rack up the footy without being remotely close to brutes.

We might not always get first possession with new midfield mix but we sure as hell won’t let them waltz away with it thus causing turnovers / winning ball back.

2 Likes

Opppsed to…?

Agree, and I think we’ll see some gradual improvement in him. But he is still very young and has a small frame.

It’s why I think we’ll see Myers play most games despite him not being the most talented player out there. He’d want to have a ■■■■■■ good pre-season though just quietly. In an ideal world we have a 1 or 2 guys who are of his size but use it better.

It’s why for the last 12-18 months we have all been clinging onto the hope that Langford and Laverde make it as genuine midfield contributors. They may well but there are question marks at this stage.

How is Clarke coming along? another vertically challenged player yeah?

No Clarke is a fairly sizeable unit.

He is 186 (suspect he is a little taller) and 85kg +

He had an interesting year in the VFL where they mostly played him out of position at half forward when he is very much an inside mid. Having said that I think he was still top 5 in the B &F. His kicking is still a problem though it seemed to improve a little.

He is a natural competitor and it will be interesting to see how he develops.

I’d certainly think Kobe Mutch is way ahead of him and though blitz is torn on the issue I think Mutch is a natural enough footballer to be able to evolve an inside game to become a real good inside midfielder. He has the attitude, appetite for the contest and good vision.

3 Likes

Once our useless vfl coach playes Clarke on ball, watch out. Was All Australian for a reason.

Surely was already. Given his kicking cant imagine was played anywhere else.

Also with Hocking done and Bird/Howlett unlikely to get new contracts have to assume will get more time.

He was not played on ball in the vfl. Needs to next year, hence why I reckon his kicking looked ordinary most of his career and was evident this year. In the guts he can dish off the handball Cripps like.

2 Likes

Clarke played a lot of half forward this year.

The middle was largely reserved for bird, the Langford, some Bobcat, Myers when he played.

Mutch for some minutes toward the end if the year.

Clarke had minimal midfield time.

3 Likes

His greatest weapon is his aerobic endurance. The kid is a Forrest Gump. The Tigers had plenty of these running all day types in their premiership winning side. Needs plenty of work, however, fitness won’t be much of an issue.

1 Like

'ken wut?

1 Like

unnamed (2)
At least you’re famous…

Yeah he still cant kick for sh*t. if we play him inside mid though, all he needs is a good handball

I went there…

Credibility takes but a moment to lose …

What if they are playing him on the outside to make him kick more and improve that way?

His inside game was top 20 pick talent.

His kicking was Under 11’s B team level

If he could learn to kick he would play a lot of games in the sash. Think they may be playing the long game…

1 Like

I’m with you on that. I see Mitch being inside.
Begley will play inside mid also, I reckon. Another bigger body.
Parish may be shorter, but his frame isn’t ‘slight’. He’ll physically develop into a strong, shorter mid, like Selwood.
Langford really came on towards the end of the season and another inside mid. Very excited about him.

3 Likes

Yes, me too, but if we get some good development in our ranks he is a player that could transition to outside.

Definitely. Last preseason Bobcat described Begley as our Ollie Wines. Fair to say that excited me. Think he is our best bet actually.

100%. Will be a gun.

I am very excited too. He has all the tools. Now if he could find the instruction manual… Time will tell!

3 Likes

So how much is Wines actually on ?

How much is left after the Rocky, Motlop, Dixon Ryder and Watts contracts.

I don’t know.

I’d been hoping we have been into him for 12+ months…he was my trade period hope. But we seemed to have gone awesome so far.

Because of that I’d guess we wouldn’t have the salary cap room to make a play for him