Training 10/1/2018 What really happened

Hartley is only getting a game if Ambrose is out IMO. Having two players with such limited offensive capacity in the same back line lacks balance.

3 Likes

Hence why Hartley was sent back to the VFL to work on his offensive game. He has the tools to be an offensive weapon, particularly his kicking, and I think that he can become that player within the next year or two. I don’t believe Ambrose can ever develop a offensive weapon (as opposed to making gradual improvement with disposal etc.), and this is where the 2 differ.

2 Likes

Ambrose is terrific player - it takes a lot of skill to not infringe yet still really close down opponents - for mine he is our number one key defender.

I haven’t been much of a Hartley fan - but I agree he has plenty of scope and time to improve his game. Hurley in my view is clearly transitioning into the tall rebounding defender.

4 Likes

And what happens if the opponent has two key forwards?

Hurley is looking less and less an option for that.

1 Like

Yep, it won’t surprise me at all to see Hartley, Ambrose and Hurley all named in the round 1 side. In theory, it works.

When the rest of your back 6 is as attacking as ours, I think you can get away with 2 lock downs.

2 Likes

With such a strong forward line, we can probably allow them more space and play a +1` in defence almost continuously. Typically this is going to be one of BJ, Hepp or Zerret. BJ is best at this role imo.

Personally I hope Zerret spends more time in attack in 2018. He was unreal in the last game in 2017, got 30+ disposals, kicked 4 goals and scored 3 Brownlow points. If Zerret kicks 30+ goals it will propel him into the top 5 players in the AFL.

Saad is a very good defender. Can lock down and run off, but just needs to improve his disposal at the end of his runs. The problem Saad as a running half back is if he runs too far, the opposition defenders have time to man up the forward options. However, Conor has elite disposal and is the running defender who should get last use of the ball approaching the arc.

1 Like

Yes, agreed but a lot of the time he got pinged for a push or incidental high contact because he took his eyes off the ball & physically engaged the opponent. Some of the better defenders get away with stuff like that aka Rance, because they are fixed on the ball. Reckon in that Dreamtime game alone Rance got away with several high contact or arm chops because he was coming in from the side with his eyes fixed on the ball. In that WC game, Hartley gave away two soft frees to Kennedy because he came from side on, firstly looking at the ball, then to JK, before impacting the contest. One of the arm chop frees he didn’t even hit his arm, more the shoulder and it was his body contact that caused the spilt mark but a free was paid. Watching the incoming ball is vital if you’re a defender & possibly it’s why he played some VFL footy, his sole focus was his opponent rather than backing himself and playing on instinct which gives him a better chance to be an offensive player from the back half. It’s one area of Gleeson’s game that’s improved immeasurably the past two seasons IMO.

1 Like

I want to see Ambrose on Danger this year, tagged the life out of him.

1 Like

Great stuff hambo, although there was a bit too much irrelevant guff in your report. Just the above would have sufficed.

5 Likes

My report was real and I reported what I saw which was absolutely nothing!

You go to the effort and this is what you get.

Humbug!

6 Likes

You didn’t even give us a rundown of what tiffany was wearing…

Hurley is still a very good one-on-one player when he actually respects his opponent. Certainly a hell of a lot better than Hartley who seems to lose either his opponent or sight of the ball when it comes in high.

On that topic, I hope Hurley plays a more no-frills game this year. Getting cheap kicks and standing 30m of his opponent is not in the teams best interests IMO. The final against Sydney one such example.

1 Like

Great write up but I prefer the training report from the guy outside by himself in the morning.

2 Likes

The problem is tha Hartley isn’t really great at locking down. Ambrose is.

1 Like

I thought he was ordinary 1v1 last season. Got pushed off way, way too easy

7 Likes

Danger waits for a hospital pass.

BANG!!

Ambrose breaks about four of his ribs.

Not sure why people think Ambrose would be a good midfielder or tagger. Takes a bit more of a skill set than just having good endurance. He’d be diabolical in the midfield imo

6 Likes

WOB. generally Hurls won a lot of ground ball all season 1/1, but towards the end of the season he failed to jump for marks, or was too far away from his opponent and could not spoil. I think he was injured from about R18 onwards

2 Likes

… or just completely mistimed his spoil attempt.