Training 11th of Dec. The Darcy Parish show

Ben Doolan and myself got down to training this morning and watched a spirited and enthusiastic training session.

Bags, ■■■■, Hibbs, Trav, Hocking and Bird sat on the side lines and did various bits an pieces. Cooney looks bigger in the upper body and limped around a few laps but it was great to see Trav running the boundary. I quizzed him about how long til he is in full training and he said “After Christmas mate. Just easing back into it”.

During warm up Hepps partnered with TIPPA! Which was great to watch. After warm ups Francis and Morgan ran 200 Hundreds and 400 Hundreds instead of participating in the main drill. After finishing 4 x 400 Francis was bent over and the fitness guys came over and said “Stand up, it’s all about body language”. As mentioned Francis is a beast. His legs are bigger than Jobes. And to compare he eclipses Myers in height and across the shoulders.

The squad split up into 3 groups. Backs (red), Forward (yellow) and Mids (grey away tops.)
Forwards notable inclusions were Hooker, TIPPA, Dempsey and Kommsy.
Backs had Stanton running around. Perhaps a new role?
Mids included Langford, Laverde, Parish and Hams.

Everything as last week happened in 15 minute blocks. The main drill was the same as last week. Moving the ball from one end to the other. When the other team touched it, it went back to the beginning. Whilst two teams were taking each other on the third team would be “resting” on the other oval doing smaller competitive drill.

Forwards had the ball first taking on the backs. They were great at moving the ball and there was one bit of play bursting through the middle where it went Long, Edwards, Dempsey to TIPPA! It was awesome. Long was super today. Super elusive and creative. He is actually taller than you think.

Joey wasn’t super clean above is head but he was angry today. During this drill he received the ball in the goal square and then kicked it 60 meters though and into the car park. After saying he was ‘shot’ last week, Kommsy was very lively and the kind of player that revs everyone else up and niggles opposition players.
If he can get anywhere near the 2012 form he will be hard to stop.

We looked over to the other oval and saw the setup on Loonyburger, Zerrett, Parish and Jobe practicing tap out and structures. I’m not sure about Ben Doolan but I was half mast. If anyone told me the injury struggles Loony has had I wouldn’t believe them. He is in ripping shape and moves so well for a big man.

Next up the defenders with the ball taking on the mids. They did really well. Marty Gleeson has bulked up a little bit. He’s not massive but he is looking more solid. His ball movement and precision helped the backs move the ball pretty easily. We thought Pears looked sharp but we were all just waiting until the mids got their turn and we could see Parish. Well it was worth the wait.

From half back he kicked 3x 40-50 meter passes that hit the target. One on the left and two on the right. Zerret also dominated this drill. These two together will dominate for years to come.

As mentioned spirits were high. Any talk that Tbell might be effected by Loony being pencilled in as the number one ruckman would be wrong. When the whistle blew for everyone to come in Tbell took off and sprinted in leading everyone to great cheers.

After the main drill they broke off into small groups again. For handball drills before one large ‘practice match style’ game to end it all. Long and Laverde had great presence during this drill. The first year players all watching on from the sidelines.

Most players are being managed. Hepps and BJ came off early to do laps as they have had international duties.

Really happy with how the group is looking and the spirit of the boys.

Ben Doolan will add more once his Christmas shopping is done and I’m happy to answer any questions.

Ben Doolan and myself got down to training this morning and watched a spirited and enthusiastic training session.

Bags, ■■■■, Hibbs, Trav, Hocking and Bird sat on the side lines and did various bits an pieces. Cooney looks bigger in the upper body and limped around a few laps but it was great to see Trav running the boundary. I quizzed him about how long til he is in full training and he said “After Christmas mate. Just easing back into it”.

During warm up Hepps partnered with TIPPA! Which was great to watch. After warm ups Francis and Morgan ran 200 Hundreds and 400 Hundreds instead of participating in the main drill. After finishing 4 x 400 Francis was bent over and the fitness guys came over and said “Stand up, it’s all about body language”. As mentioned Francis is a beast. His legs are bigger than Jobes. And to compare he eclipses Myers in height and across the shoulders.

The squad split up into 3 groups. Backs (red), Forward (yellow) and Mids (grey away tops.)
Forwards notable inclusions were Hooker, TIPPA, Dempsey and Kommsy.
Backs had Stanton running around. Perhaps a new role?
Mids included Langford, Laverde, Parish and Hams.

Everything as last week happened in 15 minute blocks. The main drill was the same as last week. Moving the ball from one end to the other. When the other team touched it, it went back to the beginning. Whilst two teams were taking each other on the third team would be “resting” on the other oval doing smaller competitive drill.

Forwards had the ball first taking on the backs. They were great at moving the ball and there was one bit of play bursting through the middle where it went Long, Edwards, Dempsey to TIPPA! It was awesome. Long was super today. Super elusive and creative. He is actually taller than you think.

Joey wasn’t super clean above is head but he was angry today. During this drill he received the ball in the goal square and then kicked it 60 meters though and into the car park. After saying he was ‘shot’ last week, Kommsy was very lively and the kind of player that revs everyone else up and niggles opposition players.
If he can get anywhere near the 2012 form he will be hard to stop.

We looked over to the other oval and saw the setup on Loonyburger, Zerrett, Parish and Jobe practicing tap out and structures. I’m not sure about Ben Doolan was I was half mast. If anyone told me the injury struggles Loony has had I wouldn’t believe them. He is in ripping shape and moves so well for a big man.

Next up the defenders with the ball taking on the mids. They did really well. Marty Gleeson has bulked up a little bit. He’s not massive but he is looking more solid. His ball movement and precision helped the backs move the ball pretty easily. We thought Pears looked sharp but we were all just waiting until the mids got their turn and we could see Parish. Well it was worth the wait.

From half back he kicked 3x 40-50 meter passes that hit the target. One on the left and two on the right. Zerret also dominated this drill. These two together will dominate for years to come.

As mentioned spirits were high. Any talk that Tbell might be effected by Loony being pencilled in as the number one ruckman would be wrong. When the whistle blew for everyone to come in Tbell took off and sprinted in leading everyone to great cheers.

After the main drill they broke off into small groups again. For handball drills before one large ‘practice match style’ game to end it all. Long and Laverde had great presence during this drill. The first year players all watching on from the sidelines.

Most players are being managed. Hepps and BJ came off early to do laps as they have had international duties.

Really happy with how the group is looking and the spirit of the boys.

Ben Doolan will add more once his Christmas shopping is done and I’m happy to answer any questions.

Yestin?

huh?

“Training Reports” are weekly lid-off threads.

I must admit that I haven’t attended training and haven’t been filled in on what occurred, but I am sure this report is relatively accurate.

Training was held in sunny conditions at the True Value Solar Centre.

There were some notable faces in the crowd. Of particular interest was one, Jason Akermanis. After missing out on the development job, out of sympathy, the club gave access to Jason, so that he could gain some insights into real coaching and club management methods. This experience has already proved invaluable for Aker, who has been able to use his time with our recruiters to find a young chf for his team. Based on our spelling backwards test, Aker was able to identify the lad, who although short and uncoordinated, is a proud dyslexic. He was also able to use the count backwards by 7 test to recruit the new club accountant.

Michael Hartley’s dad was also present, after commuting from Sydney for the session òn his unicycle. He exclaimed proudly to the other onlookers that he was relieved that Hawthorn didn’t pick up his son, as driving to Tasmania would have been a logistical challenge.

Courtney Dempsey is in ripping nick. This is based on a preseason diet. Not the paleo diet like the Dees players have undertaken, but a “Not accepting dinner invitations from Steven Motlop diet”’.

Nick Kommer again joined in full training. It was misreported that Nick was chair lifted out of celebration the other day. This is not entirely accurate. Instead, he was chair lifted as a precautionary measure so he wouldn’t roll his ankle whilst walking from the ground.

Craig Bird has endeared himself to the playing list. Not only has he made friends quickly, but his former teammates have also bonded with our guys. Second year swan, Jack Hiscox, has become buddies with Tayte Pears, to the extent that Hiscox has tattooed a pear on his ankle whist Pears has tattooed a … (nsfw)

Gach is quite the specimen and is very quick. Sure he has no game IQ, is a bit skinny, doesn’t have a tank and lacks competitiveness, but unless your in your 70’s or 80’s you’re going to love watching him one day.

Francis has no tank, but the club have made him a training program with incentives. If he manages to run 400m without blowing up, the club have allowed him to complete his training on a motorised buggy.

All the recruits have settled in really well, with the exception of Mason Redman. Mason has lost a lot of the verve he showed in early sessions and has now become isolated and slightly dejected. This is due to the tirade of abuse he has received from teammates, who have accidentally mistaken him for Goddard.

Yestin is quick and agile and has a great tank. I haven’t noticed this myself, but have read it so many times I feel obliged to pass it on.

Some of the drills today were as follows:

The Giants have decided to go retro and introduce Hula Hoops to training. It seems like we have decided to copy them by reintroducing elastics. These said elastics were procured by ripping apart Tom Belchambers’ hideous Capri pants collection.

Next the players took part in a football version of Piggy in the Middle. Unfortunately the drill didn’t go well, with Michael Hibbard quitting the game prematurely, screaming "Why do I always have to be the pig?’’

Then the players were allocated into 4 groups. The groups were Team Gach, Team Yestin, Team Bird and Team Hams. The point of the exercise was for each team to advance as many puns and play on words based on their team’s name. After a closely fought contest, Team Hams prevailed easily, with each member of the group receiving a Christmas Bertocchi for their victory.

To complete the session, the players did some intense goal kicking practice, with the exception of Marty Gleeson who did some goalpost practice.

I am proud to report that the coaching staff have given the players clean air for the most part. This was slightly eroded with Fantasia’s ill-advised decision to take up Hocking’s offer of pulling his finger.

The crowd were generally happy with the session and with the new make-up of the list, but there was a consensus that Carlisle’s departure has left the club light on for speed, as well as cocaine, Nurofen Zavance and Diet Dr. Pepper.

thanks Ant. nice work.

Great report Ant, thanks. In the 15 minute mini matches what roles do Francis and Brown play?

Francis sat on the sidelines with all the first year players.

Mitch Brown is playing back. We noted how for a player who has had years in the system he doesn’t have any bulk or a lot of muscle definition. He moves well though.

Most important today is how good jobe looks. absolutely beasting the drills, and then smashed the running drills, myers set a good pace but at the end jobe had overtaken him, expect big things.

Parish is class, just moves through packs so well.

morgan has a set of pipes, also plays well.

Langford was going at everything so hard and relentless. him and laverde in the midfield will be awesome.

gwilty, hair.

Guy mckennas drills were good, also heard skipworth swear so theres that.

I used to speed it up when it was time to finish too. Not sure that’s a positive.

Mitch Brown is playing back. We noted how for a player who has had years in the system he doesn’t have any bulk or a lot of muscle definition. He moves well though.

Essendon Wingman Mitch Brown. B)

Essendon Wingman Mitch Brown. B)

Clearly he’s the “New Fletch”

"Training Reports" are weekly lid-off threads.

And the ASAGA thread is the daily lid-on thread

Yestin?!

Trained with the main group the whole time so he is ready fitness wise.
Didn’t notice him that much with the ball but we did notice his work rate and pace.

How’s the Irishman looking? With so much talk about the new recruits he seems to be slipping under the radar a bit. If he improves anywhere near the rate of last season he’s a best 22 player by the years end. BULLISH

Yestin?!

sick tatts.

How's the Irishman looking? With so much talk about the new recruits he seems to be slipping under the radar a bit. If he improves anywhere near the rate of last season he's a best 22 player by the years end. BULLISH

That is how I feel.

In the forward group he is grouped with Jerrett, Yestin, Long, Kommsy, TIPPA and Morgan so all of sudden that HF role is super competitive.
He looks composed enough with ball in hand and breaks the line. It will all come down to how they perform in the VFL.

But competition is good.

How's the Irishman looking? With so much talk about the new recruits he seems to be slipping under the radar a bit. If he improves anywhere near the rate of last season he's a best 22 player by the years end. BULLISH

That is how I feel.

In the forward group he is grouped with Jerrett, Yestin, Long, Kommsy, TIPPA and Morgan so all of sudden that HF role is super competitive.
He looks composed enough with ball in hand and breaks the line. It will all come down to how they perform in the VFL.

But competition is good.

X factory.

So we have a first string midfield of Watson, Heppell Zaka with Stanton and Goddard on the wings. And a second of Myers, Hocking, Zerrett with Langford and Laverde on the wings. And that is leaving out the obvious potential starters in Colyer, Bird, Howlett, Cooney, Jerrett followed by the newbies/unknowns of Parish, Morgan, Long, Hams, Eades… I’m probably missing somebody too.

Midfield depth, come on down!