Training 12/1/18

Great to here Laverde is ripping it up. I’m lid-off for this bloke tbh. Don’t think we’ve seen anything remotely near what he is capable of yet.

5 Likes

There’s something about him that says AFL footballer… I was particularly interested to see his great ability to extract from the contest and balance under strong physical pressure. An astute pick up with a great combination of physical and footy attributes. The challenge will be around production and adjusting to the tempo but on early observation has the traits. Think it’ll be interesting when he starts to bulk up as well.

Gumby tore it up all through his career. Unfortunately it was his hammies, back and the rest of his body that was tearing up.

19 Likes

My observation of Francis was similar hence my comments around him getting an extended run in the seniors to feel part of the group. Appears to be quite introverted. Fingers crossed things things start to turn around.

1 Like

We know nothing about the type of personality Francis is. Yep, could just be the quiet type (possible). Might be a little ostracised because of his apparent desire to go home (not likely). Maybe he’s a little distracted about the desire to go home (unlikely), One thing that stands out though from these training reports is that he doesn’t seem to impose himself out on the ground (shame) which as I understand is opposite to how he performs in the VFL (is that correct?). Francis will be a point of discussion/conjecture for some time yet. Looking forward to the day this conversation is shut down because he’s doing the job in the AFL.

1 Like

He won’t feel part of the group if he’s leaking goals and being exposed defensively that’s the risk. He needs to be given a shot based on merit and his preparedness to do the work. I’d like to see Tommy Bell and Hooksy take him under their wing for the year. Two ripping blokes who are very social, that might force Ranga to come out of his shell but also make him feel as though he belongs. Jesus if I had his ability I’d walking with swagger and amongst it but we just don’t know what’s going on inside his head… Noting that he is only 20, and has faced into lots of challenges that would test anyone’s resilience

4 Likes

He’s quiet st the VFL also.

It’s clearly his personality and I don’t have issue with it.

He and Langford are in a similar boat. They need to build that confidence that they belong at the top level and then they will impose themselves.

2 Likes

I thought the turning point for him was the VFL game against Port Melbourne two years ago when he took the game by the scruff of the neck in a Carey like fashion and had the strut that screamed I have arrived
Agree the key isn’t around changing personalities, it’s around establishing confidence, purpose and belonging. Think exactly the same applies for Lang.

2 Likes

im Still confident we have a player. I’ve seen him do things at VFL level that very few can do.

He just needs bring it all together.

2 Likes

Dont have have to be the greatest trainer to be a great player, just look at Dusty. In saying that, would love to see more desire from him. Not quite bleeding red and black yet.

Most likely it’s fear of getting injured , or aggravating an existing injury. He needs the best possible pre-season and they are probably trying to keep the loads as high as possible but reducing amount of contact at this point.

Correct. At VFL level, he was a fierce competitor for the ground ball and would stand in front of forming packs or back into packs, as was the case when he marked on the last line to effectively save the game late in the season. He is one player who does impose himself on the contest, surely that is not in question.

5 Likes

Is Dusty a bad trainer?

Ive seen on numerous occasions him get absolutely smashed going back with the flight, and pick himself up off the ground with a smile on his face.

Physicality is definitely not a problem.

2 Likes

Hey Scorch, your attention to detail is quite meticulous, what colour was the dog?

1 Like

EFC Facebook posted a photo of Stringer shrugging Zaharakis off with no worries.

It made me laugh. Zaka has to be one of the worst tacklers at the club. While Stringer could probably shrug a Hurley tackle.

3 Likes

I think you’re selling him a bit short there. Maybe 5 years ago, but he has vastly improved that part of his game.

15 Likes

White, with slight black markings towards the rump…

He has always had surprisingly good tackling technique, he hasn’t always had any desire to use it.

I’d say, when he actually bothers to do so, he’d be one of the better tacklers in the team.

He also doesn’t strike me as the sort of guy who’d give his all all on the tackle front during pre-season training.

1 Like

Re Langford - This has been the problem since day 1 and I’m adamant if he doesn’t get a intensity, attitude and fierceness he’ll never fulfill his potential. Needs to lose the mummy’s boy image and get a bit of hardness about him. It’s the only thing holding him back and it’s frustrating. The kinda bloke you’d sense if Barry hall said boo to, would fall over

@CJohns do you have any idea if the Club realise this as a issue?

5 Likes

The odds of Francis making it are remote. People clinging onto hope which is all you can do but on the balance of probability, we farked up. He doesn’t have the constitution to meet the demands of elite level sport.

That’s my honest take as a bomber fan who wants us to succeed as a team but taking that hat off I hope he gets all the help he needs and finds purpose and direction in life whether that be through footy or something else.

7 Likes