Training 20 August

Under grey skies and cool conditions I today had the pleasure of watching the best training session I've seen for many months. If the saying "as you train so will you play" holds true, the boys should turn on a big performance this Saturday.

Just about all the available players trained with the obvious exception of those already ruled out for the remainder of the season. Goddard was a noticeable absence and Heppell left the track about halfway through the session with what appeared to be some soreness but hopefully just a precaution.

The level of energy, enthusiasm and positive focus amongst the players was clearly observable.

After the warm up drills on the McCracken Oval all players, coaches and support staff moved to the Etihad Oval where intense practice drills in ball movement using only the centre square area, was carried out for a lengthy period of the session. Emphasis was on quick spreading and handballing to moving targets without going backwards. Any player caught with the ball during this exercise (even if they managed to feed the ball off to a teammate) was penalised and the ball turned over to the opposite team. Bomba and the other coaches were all extremely vocal during this sesssion.

Towards to end of the session (which lasted for over 2 hours), the players were undertaking goal shooting practice having to collect the ball thrown to ground under pressure from teammates and each failed shot incurred 5 push-ups as handed out by Bomba. Those showing consistent accurancy in this exercise were Zerrett, Paddy Ryder, Myers, Joey D, Chappy, Winders and Baguley (up until today I hadn't credited Bags with being such an accurate kick for goal both on the run and from a standing position).

Watching training were a group of the Japanese International AFL team who all seemed impressed by what they were seeing.

PS: Carlisle trained freely and looks like he will be available for selection this week. Also, overheard Fletch saying he was off to the surgeon to get an update on the progress of his finger injury. He watched to whole training session and was constantly handballing to himself. He certainly appeared keen to get in amongst it so "maybe" he's still a chance to participate if we go beyond 1st week of the finals?

Great report, thankyou karmabomber.

Gee whizz the playing group and coaching staff must be pleased/impressed with Zach Merrett. It sounds like every drill we do he is often one of the best at doing it.

Do you get this feeling karmabomber whilst being there?

cheers karma

Under grey skies and cool conditions I today had the pleasure of watching the best training session I've seen for many months. If the saying "as you train so will you play" holds true, the boys should turn on a big performance this Saturday.

LID OFF

Thanks for the report  :)

Gee whizz the playing group and coaching staff must be pleased/impressed with Zach Merrett. It sounds like every drill we do he is often one of the best at doing it.

He's always up and about at training and is very similar to Heppell in the level of commitment and effort he shows. This kid is (based on current form) clearly in our best 22 heading into a possible finals campaign.

c'mon Fletch... get back baby.

Good report kb. i would say bj just managing his workload since he’s probably a bit sore

Great to hear that the group is training strongly. I'm hoping for a four quarter performance this weekend.

Great to hear that the group is training strongly. I'm hoping for a four quarter performance this weekend.

He's always up and about at training and is very similar to Heppell in the level of commitment and effort he shows. This kid is (based on current form) clearly in our best 22 heading into a possible finals campaign.

Yes, his hype around the club mixed with his performances and professionalism on and off the field is very Heppell-like I must admit.

Brilliant report, thanks.

Sounds like a productive session. The more closer we get to the game, the more I think BJ will miss with soreness/injury.

Wonder how Melksham went. 

thanks karma

JOE kicking straight? gonna put 50 on him for 8 goals.

Get around us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fletch in for the GF - BOOM!!

Goddard just being an angry man on the sidelines this week resting up it would seem. 

Thanks karmabomber

He got heaps of encouragement from Bomba and his teammates were quick to praise him when he performed well which was reasonably often. No doubt he's down in confidence and I suspect he may be dealing with some non-football issues - has conjecture only on my part, so I wouldn't be too quick to write him off at present.

He got heaps of encouragement from Bomba and his teammates were quick to praise him when he performed well which was reasonably often. No doubt he's down in confidence and I suspect he may be dealing with some non-football issues - has conjecture only on my part, so I wouldn't be too quick to write him off at present.

Melksham might be one of those guys that needs constant encouragement and building memtally up to play well. Good to see he teammates and coaches supporting him if he is under stress. Us supporters need to do our part on saturday at the game.
He had shown in the past when he is confident he plays well/very well.
Question for those who attend training, who would you say is the best kick for goal from a set shot at our club.

Melksham might be one of those guys that needs constant encouragement and building memtally up to play well. Good to see he teammates and coaches supporting him if he is under stress. Us supporters need to do our part on saturday at the game.
Question for those who attend training, who would you say is the best kick for goal from a set shot at our club.
Definitely Ryder.

I guess the answer may depend on the distance from goal but generally, Paddy Ryder and Licha would be high on the list.