Training 20 March

These training reports have elevated BLITZ to an elite level website.

Thanks to all who have reported over summer.

Is that elite "elite" or Champion Data "elite"?

or the Luke Darcy / James Brayshaw "elite"?

Round 1 eve. The day Jetta reinvents himself.

Just to clarify - is it Gleeson or Gleason?

emergence day?

Just to clarify - is it Gleeson or Gleason?

Glee, son.

My dear camp father, what's your fave TV show?

Glee, son.

Good report - thank you.

Probably hard to tell but did Ambrose tend to lead into the pocket?

Was there anything impressive about his kicking for goal or did he have difficulty with distance and accuracy?

Good report - thank you.

Was there anything impressive about his kicking for goal or did he have difficulty with distance and accuracy?

Thanks Jackie - yes, Ambrose did lead to the pocket.  But both JD & Carlisle led to pockets too. 

Problem with kicking to the goals at the northern end of the MCG sized is that you are kicking into the prevailing northerly that was moderately strong.  From memory Carlisle kicked a nice goal from one of the pockets but that might have been about it. He was the best of the 3 I thought with kicking for goal, Ambrose not being particularly poor or outstanding.

A lot of the leading to pockets from the KP forwards seems a product of how the ball was moved down the ground from defence.  We didn't exactly go straight done down the middle - more flung the ball around the flanks & wings, side to side and then passed to a leading forward.  Rarely was that final pass to someone 30m out, straight in front.  It was almost pinball style ball movement, mainly by foot and quite deliberate. The end result I think is to have the player with the final kick into F50 to be in space & free & under no pressure and the deep KP forwards then have to lead to the part of the ground where that final kick is most likely to go to.

Good report - thank you.

Thanks Jackie - yes, Ambrose did lead to the pocket. But both JD & Carlisle led to pockets too.
Problem with kicking to the goals at the northern end of the MCG sized is that you are kicking into the prevailing northerly that was moderately strong. From memory Carlisle kicked a nice goal from one of the pockets but that might have been about it. He was the best of the 3 I thought with kicking for goal, Ambrose not being particularly poor or outstanding.
A lot of the leading to pockets from the KP forwards seems a product of how the ball was moved down the ground from defence. We didn't exactly go straight done down the middle - more flung the ball around the flanks & wings, side to side and then passed to a leading forward. Rarely was that final pass to someone 30m out, straight in front. It was almost pinball style ball movement, mainly by foot and quite deliberate. The end result I think is to have the player with the final kick into F50 to be in space & free & under no pressure and the deep KP forwards then have to lead to the part of the ground where that final kick is most likely to go to.

Moving the ball like that is very Geelong, about getting players in space with time to execute. So I am happy we are trying to do the same.
Thanks for the training update!!

Good report - thank you.

Thanks Jackie - yes, Ambrose did lead to the pocket.  But both JD & Carlisle led to pockets too. 

Problem with kicking to the goals at the northern end of the MCG sized is that you are kicking into the prevailing northerly that was moderately strong.  From memory Carlisle kicked a nice goal from one of the pockets but that might have been about it. He was the best of the 3 I thought with kicking for goal, Ambrose not being particularly poor or outstanding.

A lot of the leading to pockets from the KP forwards seems a product of how the ball was moved down the ground from defence.  We didn't exactly go straight done down the middle - more flung the ball around the flanks & wings, side to side and then passed to a leading forward.  Rarely was that final pass to someone 30m out, straight in front.  It was almost pinball style ball movement, mainly by foot and quite deliberate. The end result I think is to have the player with the final kick into F50 to be in space & free & under no pressure and the deep KP forwards then have to lead to the part of the ground where that final kick is most likely to go to.

Thank you - I rate Steinberg ahead of him for kicking, versatility and winning the ball on the ground whereas Ambrose is bigger and possibly has better endurance.  His height might make him a slightly better pack mark in a wrestle but Steinberg has a good spring. Steinberg gets trapped in the pockets less than Ambrose.  It would be presumptuous of me to disagree with Bomber over this but calling it as I see it I would go for Steinberg at this stage.  Good luck to Ambrose if he is selected he has trained very hard.

fantastic reporting thank you

Good report - thank you.

Thank you - I rate Steinberg ahead of him for kicking, versatility and winning the ball on the ground whereas Ambrose is bigger and possibly has better endurance.  His height might make him a slightly better pack mark in a wrestle but Steinberg has a good spring. Steinberg gets trapped in the pockets less than Ambrose.  It would be presumptuous of me to disagree with Bomber over this but calling it as I see it I would go for Steinberg at this stage.  Good luck to Ambrose if he is selected he has trained very hard.

Jackie, agree with your assessments on both players.

I found, watching the pre-season games, that Steinberg used his spring/flexibility more to play like a poor man's Steve Johnston, rather than a true 3rd tall/KP forward.  He didn't look like clunking any marks on a lead and if he took any that way it would have been very few.  In the Tiger's Practice game Ambrose actually led and marked, on occasion, in the Crameri, 3rd tall forward style.  I think this is why Bomber favours him - he demonstrated he can play that role better than Steinberg.  One thing that struck today was just how much bigger in the body Ambrose is compared to Steinberg - I didn't really notice the difference that much on TV.  Ambrose is basic built like Thurlow but about 7-8 cm shorter.  With both Carlisle & JD being so lean I guess Bomber also feels we need the 3rd tall forward to have a really physical build to complement their leaner builds - as well as split open a few packs along the way and clear a path for them.

I‘m holding you personally responsible when Ryder is a late withdrawal, though.