Training 3/9/15

Thanks very much Jackie. I very much look forward to your preseason training reports.

Oh and Karma Bomber.

Training in cold windy conditions on the McCracken Oval.

Last major session for the year and it felt like Custer’s last stand. About 24 fit players in claret training tops on the oval and Gwilt, Watson, Aylett and Carlisle doing some work on the other oval.

A small crowd of about fifty huddled in front of the cafe and Fletcher injured his wrist from signing copies of his book but carried out the task with his usual courtesy and good humour. He won’t play this week but exits as the champion that he is with grace and dignity.

It was disappointing that the coaches took much of the training at the airport end away from the spectators but I suppose they had their reasons. I won’t report too much on what I witnessed because it was fairly standard but the players performed bravely in the circumstances trying to muster enthusiasm and Bassett continually exhorted them “flat out!” during the leading and marking drill which was probably the most interesting today.
Laverde v Connor
Hooker v Daniher
Jarrett v Long
Dempsey v Langford.

It was interesting to see Lloyd involved in the drill as he now does much more than goal kicking practice under Egan’s direction. It was suggested to me that Chapman might make a useful forward coach and I quite like the idea. It was good to see leading rather than simply kicking the ball high on Daniher’s head. It would be even more useful if they weren’t leading so much to the pocket but others must know best.

Monday the players will have a quiet drink together - for some the last time. Tuesday and Wednesday they will have their exit interviews then eight weeks off or in some cases to the next stage of their lives.

It’s been the worst season I can remember including the 70’s Kenny Roberts era but I think we should all look forward to next season. WADA will be over, six to eight new players will change the dynamics of the list and a new coach with fresh ideas should energise the club. I’m optimistic I hope you are too.

Thanks again for your fantastic reports throughout the year. Thank you to all other posters that contribute to these training reports also.

Thank you Jackie in particular, as well as all the others who contribute to these training threads on a regular basis. As a supporter from the other side of the country who frequently spends large periods of time out of country during the footy season, these reports are a genuine highlight of the football year for me. Jackie, your humour and your insight, delivered in written prose as only you can, is a delight to read. Week in week out you all brave all sorts of weather to provide us with a rundown of what the boys are doing, as well as photos, something that we only get here and for which we are all truly grateful. So from myself, and as can be seen from the previous posts, everyone else here who rely on you guys for their weekly info fix, thank you so very much and hopefully we will all be able to continue on in the new year.

where the photo

Thanks to Karma (morale officer), Jackie (morals officer) and anyone else who helped along the way. Quality.

Thanks for the report Jackie.

I have watched every season since 1963, and there have been some shockers in that tUqime. This one has been bad, but injuries and the SAGA make it understandable. 2006 was the year that sticks out to me as the worst ever. We did have some close losses, but were smashed regularly and the list was older and in worse shape that our current one. Three wins for the year was worse than this year; ironic though that Carlton are back where they belong this year as they were then.

It’s been worse this year because the supporters have been conflicted between supporting a legend of the club at a personal level and supporting a team that needed a more effective game plan to be successful on the field. It has been a horrible dilemma which has sometimes turned supporters who had been friends against each other. Hopefully that’s over now and people can agree to disagree and support the new coach.

Good point Jackie, and don’t know how old you are, but I recall some real parallels with the ill-fated Barry Davis coaching years. Both Davis and Hird are Club Legends, both have similar characteristics and their win loss ratios are similar. Members and close mates fought and agonized over Davis as coach and in the end he “resigned” for the Club to move forward. And perhaps being positive, Sheedy came in with some good young players coming through.

I recall the day at Windy Hill when the Team was boo-ed off the ground after a big loss, and the abuse from Members to the Coach was massive.

So taken in context, this year was just another is the tapestry of Bomberland.

Thanks for the report Jackie.

I have watched every season since 1963, and there have been some shockers in that tUqime. This one has been bad, but injuries and the SAGA make it understandable. 2006 was the year that sticks out to me as the worst ever. We did have some close losses, but were smashed regularly and the list was older and in worse shape that our current one. Three wins for the year was worse than this year; ironic though that Carlton are back where they belong this year as they were then.

It’s been worse this year because the supporters have been conflicted between supporting a legend of the club at a personal level and supporting a team that needed a more effective game plan to be successful on the field. It has been a horrible dilemma which has sometimes turned supporters who had been friends against each other. Hopefully that’s over now and people can agree to disagree and support the new coach.

Good point Jackie, and don’t know how old you are, but I recall some real parallels with the ill-fated Barry Davis coaching years. Both Davis and Hird are Club Legends, both have similar characteristics and their win loss ratios are similar. Members and close mates fought and agonized over Davis as coach and in the end he “resigned” for the Club to move forward. And perhaps being positive, Sheedy came in with some good young players coming through.

I recall the day at Windy Hill when the Team was boo-ed off the ground after a big loss, and the abuse from Members to the Coach was massive.

So taken in context, this year was just another is the tapestry of Bomberland.

I’m old enough to have booed (handball) Davis even though I loved him. He simply had to go.

(also started the oink oinks in the Reynolds stand when Joan Kirner turned up. Later as premier she was like a hopeless coach too.)

Last major session for the year and it felt like Custer’s last stand. About 24 fit players in claret training tops on the oval and Gwilt, Watson, Aylett and Carlisle doing some work on the other oval.

A small crowd of about fifty huddled in front of the cafe and Fletcher injured his wrist from signing copies of his book but carried out the task with his usual courtesy and good humour. He won’t play this week but exits as the champion that he is with grace and dignity.

It was disappointing that the coaches took much of the training at the airport end away from the spectators but I suppose they had their reasons. I won’t report too much on what I witnessed because it was fairly standard but the players performed bravely in the circumstances trying to muster enthusiasm and Bassett continually exhorted them “flat out!” during the leading and marking drill which was probably the most interesting today.
Laverde v Connor
Hooker v Daniher
Jarrett v Long
Dempsey v Langford.

It was interesting to see Lloyd involved in the drill as he now does much more than goal kicking practice under Egan’s direction. It was suggested to me that Chapman might make a useful forward coach and I quite like the idea. It was good to see leading rather than simply kicking the ball high on Daniher’s head. It would be even more useful if they weren’t leading so much to the pocket but others must know best.

Monday the players will have a quiet drink together - for some the last time. Tuesday and Wednesday they will have their exit interviews then eight weeks off or in some cases to the next stage of their lives.

It’s been the worst season I can remember including the 70’s Kenny Roberts era but I think we should all look forward to next season. WADA will be over, six to eight new players will change the dynamics of the list and a new coach with fresh ideas should energise the club. I’m optimistic I hope you are too.

Dead right. It was terrible then, but this year has been worse.

There’s a core group of Blitzers who make it worth coming here even in the bleakest of seasons and Jackie’s right there in the middle of them.

Laverde v Connor
Hooker v Daniher
Jarrett v Long
Dempsey v Langford.

Dead right. It was terrible then, but this year has been worse.

Where’s the love for Kenny Roberts! I saw him stand on a guy’s head to take a screamer in the ressies at Vic Park one week, and I saw him snot a Carlton player (dunno who) right in the nose at Windy Hill one time. Those two acts alone made his Essendon career worthwhile.

Mucho mucho gracias. This is the only footy news that I consume nowadays.

Top post Jackie, with spring fashion week on surprised tiffany didn't arrive in a strapless number and nine inch heels.

Tiffany says hi and tells me that you will see more of her in a variety of sassy outfits when issue no. 2 of her comic comes out in a couple of weeks.

Awesome work, Jackie. I can’t wait to add it to the collection.

Thanks Jackie and the rest. Love your work.
Merry Christmas

Where’s the love for Kenny Roberts! I saw him stand on a guy’s head to take a screamer in the ressies at Vic Park one week, and I saw him snot a Carlton player (dunno who) right in the nose at Windy Hill one time. Those two acts alone made his Essendon career worthwhile.

I loved Kenny Roberts he was a real scrapper along with Cassin, Fields, Pat Wellington and a heap of others. He played (unexpectedly) at full forward after starting as a back flanker. He led the VFL goal kicking for a number of weeks with absolutely no class - he scrambled goals any old way often off the ground. You had to love Kenny Roberts.

Thanks Jackie and KB and all the others who contribute to informing us re training and the pics (those fantastic pics).

This thread is like a little sanctuary where troubles are left behind even if only for a few minutes.

Laverde v Connor
Hooker v Daniher
Jarrett v Long
Dempsey v Langford.

Nothing wrong with K.R. Top bloke

A definite favourite of mine. Played with passion in an era before the dollar dominated the game.

Bring on hopeful preseason reports.

I'll only be optimistic about next season if a Blitz review projects that leonbaker will learn how to quote by then
Top post Jackie, with spring fashion week on surprised tiffany didn't arrive in a strapless number and nine inch heels.

Tiffany says hi and tells me that you will see more of her in a variety of sassy outfits when issue no. 2 of her comic comes out in a couple of weeks.

Lol Tiffany to get more exposure …not for the first time either… eh Jackie
on a serious note tremendous work on the training reports this year Jackie, Karma, Tiffany, Saladin and all others who contributed their insightful comments.

Peeto has got to be happy with that. Good onya LeonBaker your a legend.

he does 1 successful every 500 fails.