Training 5/2/14

How is Kommer doing?

Then there are the mysteries. Bomber had a long talk with Jetta today - at least fifteen minutes in my estimation with much arm emphasis by Bomber to indicate things he wanted Leroy to understand, possibly positioning and running but of course I don't really know. The test of a coach is whether he can get the best out of individual players. In Jetta's case under Hird he spent a lot of time in the reserves but he is an immense talent which hopefully Bomber can tap. My guess is that he is a very instinctive player who perhaps has problems following the game plan at times and this is what Bomber is trying to overcome.

I think Jetta's problem is that he forgets the basic rule of taking the first option. He is about to give off a handpass, thenthinks maybe a kick wouldbe better, then has to dodge around an opponent ...
He's got to be on his last chance this year. He's been around for a long time now, played half a dozen good games at the end of the season a few years ago, and has done sfa at senior level before or since.
It's a pity, because he looks a million dollars. It would be great if this coach could finally help him realise the apparent potential.

How is Kommer doing?

He is stronger and fitter than last year and possibly a bit more versatile.

How is Kommer doing?

He is stronger and fitter than last year and possibly a bit more versatile.

Interesting.  As good as he was last year at getting involved I had some doubts on how much improvement he had in him.  A more AFL ready body at least means we should see his best.  Hopefully he can kick a few more goals as well maintian his "pest" factor.

Thanks for your reports J.M, I read often but comment seldom, your efforts, as well as those of the other contributors are greatly appreciated. I've not heard much of Kavanagh this pre season, I have really high hopes for this kid and wonder whether you share my enthusiasm and how you see his development. 

Awesome guys!

Played a bit of night footy on the showgrounds…great field for sure.

Monfries and Frog Davey not at the club, I don’t mind having a look at Baguley to see if he can play a defensive forward role, especially if he doesn’t have suited opponent in the backline.

Monfries and Frog Davey not at the club, I don't mind having a look at Baguley to see if he can play a defensive forward role, especially if he doesn't have suited opponent in the backline.

IMO bags is the best small defender we have had for a long long time. We should not be moving him.

Monfries and Frog Davey not at the club, I don't mind having a look at Baguley to see if he can play a defensive forward role, especially if he doesn't have suited opponent in the backline.

IMO bags is the best small defender we have had for a long long time. We should not be moving him.

Agreed.  Its not going to be very often that opposition sides don't have a small forward for him to match up on.  We at least have a few guys who can play on the talls but a decent shut down small defender is not something we've had much of in recent years despite the propensity to draft half back flankers :P

Agreed.  Its not going to be very often that opposition sides don't have a small forward for him to match up on.  We at least have a few guys who can play on the talls but a decent shut down small defender is not something we've had much of in recent years despite the propensity to draft half back flankers :P

Could it be that since forwards often go into their back line (our forward line) to flood, that Bags is practising goal kicking to be damaging whilst tagging his opponent. 

Could it be that since forwards often go into their back line (our forward line) to flood, that Bags is practising goal kicking to be damaging whilst tagging his opponent.

I prefer Hooker‘s approach. When on our HFF he‘s good at keeping away from his opponent.

Hooker really impressed me today.

He continually won one on ones and was great at intercepts. Seems to read the ball well in the air and positions himself well.

Could be baguley be taking more kick ins? I’d like this to be settled this year. As much as I love Dempsey, I don’t feel comfortable when he kicks in.

Speaking of Courtenay, has he been sighted recently?

Could be baguley be taking more kick ins? I'd like this to be settled this year. As much as I love Dempsey, I don't feel comfortable when he kicks in.

Didn't see him today

Always a good feeling logging into Blitz and seeing a new training thread started by JM! Thanks for all the hard work, both you and the other guys who contribute.
On Baguley, isn’t Kommer in the side to act as a shut-down forward anyway? Agree with not moving out our best small defender.

Thanks for your reports J.M, I read often but comment seldom, your efforts, as well as those of the other contributors are greatly appreciated. I've not heard much of Kavanagh this pre season, I have really high hopes for this kid and wonder whether you share my enthusiasm and how you see his development. 

Saladin is the expert on Kavanagh so watch his comments closely when the VFL starts.  I think he is progressing very well and has increased strength and fitness.  He strikes me as an intelligent player and one who should fit easily into following the game plan. Kavanagh is an accumulator of possessions and you can be surprised at how often he has handled the ball sometimes by the game's end.

Could be baguley be taking more kick ins? I'd like this to be settled this year. As much as I love Dempsey, I don't feel comfortable when he kicks in.

Surely Hurley gets a fair amount of the kick in duties?

Surely Hurley gets a fair amount of the kick in duties?

No...he and Fletch should be on the end of the kick-in....then booting it long to CHF!! 

Saladin is the expert on Kavanagh so watch his comments closely when the VFL starts.  I think he is progressing very well and has increased strength and fitness.  He strikes me as an intelligent player and one who should fit easily into following the game plan. Kavanagh is an accumulator of possessions and you can be surprised at how often he has handled the ball sometimes by the game's end.

This implies that you think Kavanagh will be playing VFL. :(

Am I reading too much into it?