Training 7.2.14

Who was there?

Me.

Slasher Moorcroft.

Thanks for the report

Finally the small forward we need.

Is this a way of saying the players were a no-show?

how did you look?

How was the weather?

Can Lee play tall?

how did you look?

Great until Craig stopped him to offer some advice and then he had a meltdown.

Who was there?
Me.
Slasher Moorcroft.

Scott Lucas give you a lift?

Was Doe there photographing Tiff again?

I was there today, nice to meet EFCforever, we watched most of the session together.

It was my first training session this off season, I'll try and give a bit of a rundown, I'm sure others will be able to add more as well.

The session started at 10am with stretching and warm up exercises with a temperature around 26c, and finished at 1pm with the temperature 36c and a strong Northerly wind coming straight down the ground from the airport end for the entire session. I was amazed at how long the session was in the heat and the pace they continued at for the whole time except maybe the last 15 minutes when the pressure seemed to deteriorate.

After the warm ups they were split onto 2 groups at either end of the MCG. Each group had about 10 with the ball playing keepings off from a group of about 6 defenders, all disposal was by foot. After each few minutes the defenders were rotated. I was very surprised and impressed with the precision of the kicking, very few kicks were either intercepted or missed the mark, very good considering the wind.

At 10.30 they started a practice match with 12 a side for an hour, then increased to 14 a side for another hour, then 10 a side for the last half hour, with players rotating at about 10 minute intervals.

It was difficult to keep track of everyone, as they often didn't have there correct number on, but then we finally did work out who players were they often switched again to different numbered jumpers. And most importantly I didn't have my binoculars but I'll give the best that I could work out.

The players that stood at the most for me were:

Steinberg, who dominated in the windy conditions up forward. Consistently read the player better than his opponent and without keeping notes kicked I think about 6-8, kicked very accurately as well and worked very hard to make position.

Winderlich was similar up forward, just read the ball better than his opponent and used his body very well on occasions.

Zach Merrett was was in everything, always presenting and very neat with his disposal. Would have to be some sort of chance for round 1.

I also liked the look of Thurlow a very good size with nice mobility. His kicking technique could do with a little work, not that I noticed any particularly bad disposals, just seemed a little awkward. He could be a very handy backup if something happens to Ryder or Belly takes a little longer to get back.

The players not in the practice match: Zakka, Heppell, Goddard and Dalgleish did some modified stuff, I think I may have seen Hams doing some laps of the Etihad at the end but not sure if it was him, and obviously Bellchambers was not out there at all. 

I'm happy to answer any questions about individual players as best I can

Thanks nackers, nicely done.

Good to hear the positive news on Stein Thurl's & Zerret.

Hope you can similarly pump up Ambrose, did you spy him at all?

I was there today, nice to meet EFCforever, we watched most of the session together.

It was my first training session this off season, I'll try and give a bit of a rundown, I'm sure others will be able to add more as well.

The session started at 10am with stretching and warm up exercises with a temperature around 26c, and finished at 1pm with the temperature 36c and a strong Northerly wind coming straight down the ground from the airport end for the entire session. I was amazed at how long the session was in the heat and the pace they continued at for the whole time except maybe the last 15 minutes when the pressure seemed to deteriorate.

After the warm ups they were split onto 2 groups at either end of the MCG. Each group had about 10 with the ball playing keepings off from a group of about 6 defenders, all disposal was by foot. After each few minutes the defenders were rotated. I was very surprised and impressed with the precision of the kicking, very few kicks were either intercepted or missed the mark, very good considering the wind.

At 10.30 they started a practice match with 12 a side for an hour, then increased to 14 a side for another hour, then 10 a side for the last half hour, with players rotating at about 10 minute intervals.

It was difficult to keep track of everyone, as they often didn't have there correct number on, but then we finally did work out who players were they often switched again to different numbered jumpers. And most importantly I didn't have my binoculars but I'll give the best that I could work out.

The players that stood at the most for me were:

Steinberg, who dominated in the windy conditions up forward. Consistently read the player better than his opponent and without keeping notes kicked I think about 6-8, kicked very accurately as well and worked very hard to make position.

Winderlich was similar up forward, just read the ball better than his opponent and used his body very well on occasions.

Zach Merrett was was in everything, always presenting and very neat with his disposal. Would have to be some sort of chance for round 1.

I also liked the look of Thurlow a very good size with nice mobility. His kicking technique could do with a little work, not that I noticed any particularly bad disposals, just seemed a little awkward. He could be a very handy backup if something happens to Ryder or Belly takes a little longer to get back.

The players not in the practice match: Zakka, Heppell, Goddard and Dalgleish did some modified stuff, I think I may have seen Hams doing some laps of the Etihad at the end but not sure if it was him, and obviously Bellchambers was not out there at all. 

I'm happy to answer any questions about individual players as best I can

Thanks for the report, much appreciated. Any observations on Kavanagh?

I thought Kav moved pretty well and had neat disposal. He was probably one of the more prominant of the second tier players out there, a lot of competition for the last few spots though.

STEINBERG VS GOLDSTEIN ROUND 1

STEINBERG VS GOLDSTEIN ROUND 1

GOLDBERG TO PLAY TOO?!?!?

Get around the little Mermaid!!  . 

Was Dempsey out there? if so how did he look, don't think his done a lot of training due to injury...

Steinberg kicked 6.8?

Imagine if he had kicked straight.

Dempsey was another one I didn't see, not in the practice match or the modified groups.