Training - 8/1/18

Awesome reporting, nothing much more to add! Blow by blow description is super impressive!
Some additional observations/highlights I had;

Lavender just might be the find of the decade. What a smooth moving, highly skilled gazelle… Was goal kicking with Houlahan at the end again and nailing shots on acute angles… Can someone remind this kid that he is 202cm! What a ‘delicious’ athlete… Importantly looks to be having a lot of fun as well… Does not stop smiling even when working his guts out. In the simulation had a couple of dare I say it Joe Daniher moments with his agility for a big man. Needs to hit the gym big time though. It’s going to be lots of fun watching this kid during the year.

Razzle is burning the track up… In the interval running tests at the end of the session he was absolutely driving himself… Is a yappy little bugger but within lies a steely determination. Haven’t seen him with the look in his eye at the moment… Wants it badly… One bit of play when he burst through the middle to deliver to Joe was simply tantalising as was another ‘mazing’ run through the middle. Looks to be playing higher at the moment… Will definitely be playing bigger midfield minutes is the feeling I’m getting.

Daniher in the match simulation was outstanding… You realise standing behind the goals just how elite he is. What an athlete. Ambo, Hurls and Hartley all had a shot albeit unsuccessfully… Looks stronger again through the core and in one ones doesn’t flop in the contest at all anymore… And that reach is just incredible… What many may not realise is that he is a thinking mans footballer as well. Fascinating to watch his movement and then interaction with the coaching staff afterwards. Looked to play a bit deeper as well, stationing himself around 30 m away from goal at the start of play before drifting up the ground… Scary to think that he is continuing to improve.

Stringer - won clearances in the match simulation in an explosive fashion. Is an absolute bull. Missed some kicks but that’ll improve… Gives another very tasty dimension. Importantly, looks to be integrating with the group. After setting Daniher up with a couple of shots courtesy of some brilliant clearances he called out ‘that’s two Joey!’… Love it String, I’m sure Joey will repay the favour at some point when you’ve rotate forward… That’s the good, the ugly is his running… Was involved in the same interval test as Fantasia… Looks as though he was really trying his guts out but needs further work… Was laying on the ground at the end until Crowy told him to get up! I really wonder if he has done all the work he could have in the gym as looks to be carrying a bit. Calves, and Quads look a lot less defined than others as do his arms… Reminds me of Dusty from a few seasons ago… That said, the signs are that he will bring an entirely different dynamic to the middle and forward line.

Francis worries me. Doesn’t look happy. Might be because of the niggle. Not sure. As mentioned, didn’t join in the match simulation just ran… When asked by one of the coaches how he was feeling and how did he pull up, he responded with ‘yeah I’m feeling ok’… The reality was quite different in his response from a mental perspective… Just looks as flat as a tack. I’m not sure if others have observed how he gets on with other guys but cut a lonely figure yesterday. Needs a serious cuddle and man love Hepp. Get around him.

Saad looks super fit. Showed us one of his game changing runs from half back. Seems to be getting lots of coaching from Harvs round positioning at the moment. Lots of reinforcement around the need to push up during the match simulation and to watch the space.

63 Likes

Great report Scorch, much appreciated.

1 Like

Scorch did you happen to get a look at Green much?

I think he still has a part to play and even more so if as you suggest, Fanta plays more midfield rotation.

1 Like

Posted this in 2018 comments. Appears it should be here. Rookie error. Sorry.

I think that Smith will be breaking a lot of tackles. Stewie looking bigger too. :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Didn’t do much in the simulation and later put through his paces in a drill where he and Stewart were having to run from the goal square to centre square and back before leading out to a pocket. Lacks a tank and is the antithesis of athlete. Super kick on goal though. I’m not convinced that he provides enough pressure defensively.

2 Likes

Don’t let that pasty skin put you off.

Will win the Coleman this year :smile:

3 Likes

Nah I can see what he brings offensively… The challenge in today’s game is that there isn’t a place for the one way forward anymore… A case I point is that Butler and Castagna are good ordinary players who are defensive maniacs… I’m not sure that Green can be that, and his offensive skill quite simply isn’t good enough to compensate.

Really? i thought he worked tirelessly on his defensive pressure last year. He was always chasing and harassing in the games i saw him live and i thought that may of contributed to his lower than usual accuracy in front of goal.

8 Likes

thought green was quite good offensively last year but for some inaccuracy in front of goal. I dont believe he is a best 22 lock, but hes a more than handy player, quite capable actually given the right environment

I think you are underestimating him a little.

Has work to do no doubt but is a handy player.

Depth is required to challenge for flags and at the very least he provides that.

I think he will improve next season after what I thought was a solid 2017

I agree with this. Fanta playing more midfield will definitely mean Green is more necessary.
It will put more pressure on Colyer’s spot because Colyer isn’t a forward.

If Fanta is up the ground more, i’d like to see Zerrett and Zaharakis spend a bit more time forward. They’re both very capable forward and in Zach’s case, would bring good defensive pressure

4 Likes

Stewies upper arms are thicker than some players legs.

1 Like

A long time ago in a galaxy far far away…

… There was a lid.

17 Likes

Up here the city of Dubbo is buzzing. I have heard there is no lid.

Just passing this on…

Thanks everyone for these match reports, the yearly subscription to BLITZ is well worth it!

11 Likes

While we’re talking about Stinger and The as midfield clearance beasts, I still have a lid.
Pretty heavy one.
Hopefully it will get blown off…um…nah, can’t be bothered fixing that.

1 Like

You need to factor in stringer, Smith and Begley into this equation too. Green doesn’t really push up the field very effectively save for getting out the back on transition. Tippa, Fanta, Smith and hopefully Begley can all lay legitimate claims for midfield time and know how to play as genuine forwards. Potentially stringer too.

I think we’ll find they all rotate positions pretty heavily and this will put pressure on green and colyer though both are very handy backups albeit less versatile ones

Fanta is a pretty special player and he will create goals for us wherever he is playing. It’s pretty exciting

How did the defence group look? Any standouts?

The highlights;

Gleeson stronger and showed some good composure…

Hartley is an absolute unit

Hurls looks in good nick…

Goddard had lots to say including dropping the f bomb on a number of occasions following one but of play when they weren’t organised…

7 Likes

Gotta love Goddard!

What about the smalls apart from Saad?? Which group did McGrath train with?

I was bored…

6 Likes