Training at the Alamo Wednesday 16/3/16

Yes training in warm conditions at the Alamo. The skirmishes have finished, we are under siege against overwhelming forces while we muster our courage to hold out as long as possible until the cavalry of twelve, or however many can get through, come to our relief. We might lose some battles this year but we will surely win the war beyond. Colonel Whoosa drew a line I the sand, Carlisle and Melksham deserted us to seek safety with the enemy but other good men in coonskin caps (well Cooney at least) and the recently scalped Kommer have come from their sickbeds and ten hardened frontiersmen have come to man the ramparts - the Hangar shall not fall!

Today was a much needed skills session and the players were relaxed and in good voice after the flattening heat of the Perth game. A number of players didn’t join in full training Polkinhorne, Stokes, Parish, Crowley, Jamar, Simpkin,LaVerde, Wallis and Ashby but as far as I know they are mostly ok for round one apart from Polkinghorne, Wallis and Ashby and probably Grima.

Two things that caught my attention were: ball movement under pressure and the tall forwards. Karma Bomber and I and some of the other experienced watchers continue to be concerned with the slow ball movement down the ground when under pressure. In particular the almost inevitable slow sideways kicks across the back line to no apparent advantage. There is not enough run to provide targets and if I go back to earlier training reports I can see that we did many drills where the player with the ball was encouraged to move back quickly from the mark and to kick at 45 degrees to players leading up through the centre of the ground. This opened up play and gave every possibility for a shot at goal from in front rather than the pocket. Why this drill doesn’t seem to be firmly linked to match simulation ball movement I can’t say but we have all seen the results of meandering out of the backline combined with poor skills and little run.

Although there are a number of possibilities for the tall forwards the most likely combination would appear to be Daniher, Grimley and McKernan and these three had some interesting specialized marking duels with balls kicked in high to static, non leading players. In this situation we all agreed that McKernan was both the best mark and best kick for goal of the three. Joe looked good playing up the ground on Sunday and moving around so I would anticipate that he will generally have the high centre half forward role and the sturdy, high leaping Grimley the full forward with McKernan providing alternative leads and movement. It would have been interesting to see the marking drills incorporate crumbing players at their feet, an element that has been missing from the last two games.

Progress will be slow this year but hopefully steady and the attitude amongst the coaches and players is quietly determined with much girding of loins and determination to man the ramparts against all odds. Get behind these brave men of the Alamo.

Great report. I love reading this stuff. Having said that it does sound as though it will be a long year.

Great report.
Thanks once again.

Thanks Jackie, Good analogy,
Circle the wagons, and just hope our new coach is not the analog of General Custer, or was that General James “Custer” Hird?

The athleticism of teams today was illustrated on Sunday, they can flood back in a flash and always seem to outnumber our forwards who have most of whom have pushed up to help the mids.

Really we have to win more contested ball and the boot will be on the other foot, because when you even get 25% more clearances, it translates to massive pressure on the opposition and they are the ones who have to push their forwards up.

The lateral ball movement is no doubt mostly to tease the flooded opposition players out of our forward line and disturb the opponents structures, but it can be very counterproductive, when it just gives them a chance to man up anyway.

Fast direct ball movement “slingshot” style with overlapping run is the way to go imo. But it all starts with 22 players all of whom who have the ability to win the ball.

Daniher, Grimley and McKernan looks the go.

As a matter of interest Jackie, how does our new hardman defender Ambrose go as 3rd tall defender against these guys?

Thanks for the report Jackie!

Did Laverde at least do some running?

Did Parish and Crowley train well?
Don’t think we’ve ever needed a first year guy to be ready for rd 1 before given our lacking midfield against Cats/eagles,
We are undefeated this year when parish plays!.

Im almost in the camp of forget Gwilt and Ambrose and just play Francis on the third tall. To speed up his development in this development year.

Thanks for the report Jackie!

Did Laverde at least do some running?

Yes.

I was waiting for a Little Big Horn comment, but that was a different battle. (…and General Little has already left the battlefield.)

Thanks Jackie, Good analogy, Circle the wagons, and just hope our new coach is not the analog of General Custer, or was that General James "Custer" Hird?

As a matter of interest Jackie, how does our new hardman defender Ambrose go as 3rd tall defender against these guys?

Ambrose is very fit but would be troubled by their height. He would manage some spoils but give very little run out of defence. A Kevin Walsh (shudder) type of negative defender but not as good at this stage.

I was waiting for a Little Big Horn comment, but that was a different battle. (....and General Little has already left the battlefield.)

More like General Little Big Dollar.

Ashby out for a couple of months. As said in the ashby thread. They were hoping laverde would start running yesterday or today. May not be ready for round one.

Did The Langford train - how was he moving seems to have a tendonitis strap

I was waiting for a Little Big Horn comment, but that was a different battle. (....and General Little has already left the battlefield.)

More like General Little Big Dollar.

indeed.
And he has far from left the battlefield.
The money that man has, and still is, spending on our club is astounding.

Thanks Jackie, Good analogy, Circle the wagons, and just hope our new coach is not the analog of General Custer, or was that General James "Custer" Hird?

Ambrose is very fit but would be troubled by their height. He would manage some spoils but give very little run out of defence. A Kevin Walsh (shudder) type of negative defender but not as good at this stage.

LOL, so sounds like he doesnt actually train on Joe, Smack or Grimley then ? Ambrose might be a much better match against a Grimley than the 2 others who are more mobile types of players

Did The Langford train - how was he moving seems to have a tendonitis strap
He's moving fine.- bigger and stronger this year. Needs to concentrate on winning more of the ball but that should come with experience.

Parish mainly trained on the small oval - he seems to be lapping up the training but like all first year players he is being managed.

Crowley was doing running and specialized training to be fit for round one. I would like to add that Karma Bomber and I are both impressed with the man’s humility. Very happy to greet the spectators and not the mean son of a gun off the field that we had anticipated. I think he is the type of player that it’s good for the younger players to have around.

Thanks jackie.

As always a great read.

Thanks again jackie.

Any idea how long Yestin’s suspension is for? Any idea if he’ll be playing the next VFL practice game?

Parish mainly trained on the small oval - he seems to be lapping up the training but like all first year players he is being managed.

Crowley was doing running and specialized training to be fit for round one. I would like to add that Karma Bomber and I are both impressed with the man’s humility. Very happy to greet the spectators and not the mean son of a gun off the field that we had anticipated. I think he is the type of player that it’s good for the younger players to have around.

Having seen that photo of Crowley and Deledio when Deledio was heading off on his holidays, and found Crowley tagging him in the next seat, I had the suspicion that Crowley is just a white-line fever type of guy.

Thanks again jackie.

Any idea how long Yestin’s suspension is for? Any idea if he’ll be playing the next VFL practice game?

No. The club has done an excellent job of keeping things in house. As I recall Hibberd and Hurley both received suspensions early in their careers and became very good players so let’s hope it’s the same for Yestin who impressed greatly with his endeavour before Christmas.