Training at the Alamo Wednesday 16/3/16

Thanks again jackie.

Any idea how long Yestin’s suspension is for? Any idea if he’ll be playing the next VFL practice game?

No. The club has done an excellent job of keeping things in house. As I recall Hibberd and Hurley both received suspensions early in their careers and became very good players so let’s hope it’s the same for Yestin who impressed greatly with his endeavour before Christmas.

Thanks jackie.

Thanks again jackie.

Any idea how long Yestin’s suspension is for? Any idea if he’ll be playing the next VFL practice game?

No. The club has done an excellent job of keeping things in house. As I recall Hibberd and Hurley both received suspensions early in their careers and became very good players so let’s hope it’s the same for Yestin who impressed greatly with his endeavour before Christmas.

Thanks jackie.

Yestin told me tonight at the season launch he expects to play in the next VFL praccy match.

Thanks again jackie.

Thanks jackie.

Yestin told me tonight at the season launch he expects to play in the next VFL praccy match.

excellent news!

Wait, Eades got a in club suspension? Where is this said? What for? I’m so lost!

Wait, Eades got a in club suspension? Where is this said? What for? I'm so lost!

If you’re not taking the ■■■■:

Yes
In his thread IIRC but it was just one tweet from one journo and nothing else.
Something over Christmas is all we know.
The sky is falling.
Man the Harpoons

Man the Harpoons? Is Robbo coming at us?

I will be voting for Trump…Never forget the Alamo!

I will be voting for Trump.....Never forget the Alamo!
Never forget Tex Mckenzie

The wagons have been circled for some time - I feel we have the right people manning the rifles.
Thanks Jackie. Your analysis of the flaws in our game plan are spot on. We need to switch 20% of the time, not 80% of the time. We only look good when we slingshot through the middle. We NEVER look good when we don’t slingshot. It’s that simple.

Thanks for the report Jackie. I’ll ask this in the B22 thread as well, but have you (or anyone else) seen any evidence on the track on how we plan to use Brown? I think his role is best suited to a 2nd or 3rd tall KPD as he showed last year as a fill in and in NAB1. He just hasnt looked as damaging up forward in the last two NAB games. Im hoping Grima coming in will free him up a bit more and shore up the defense.

Thanks for the report Jackie. I'll ask this in the B22 thread as well, but have you (or anyone else) seen any evidence on the track on how we plan to use Brown? I think his role is best suited to a 2nd or 3rd tall KPD as he showed last year as a fill in and in NAB1. He just hasnt looked as damaging up forward in the last two NAB games. Im hoping Grima coming in will free him up a bit more and shore up the defense.

Brown did the first part of the preseason in attack and looked promising. When Grimley came he played mainly back but was switched forward when needed. Getting Grima has further complicated the situation but we haven’t really seen him yet. The three key talls appear to be Daniher, Grimley and McKernan. I think Brown would mainly play back but be switched forward when needed. Hartley will play back, if Grima is also played he and Brown may push out Ambrose for third tall back. As a listed player I would expect him to get preference over Grima to fast track his future development.

I get the impression jm that Woosha will pick the player that is performing the best regardless of whether they are a top up or list.

I get the impression jm that Woosha will pick the player that is performing the best regardless of whether they are a top up or list.

Yep. Pretty much.

Did Parish and Crowley train well?

Parish mainly trained on the small oval - he seems to be lapping up the training but like all first year players he is being managed.

Crowley was doing running and specialized training to be fit for round one. I would like to add that Karma Bomber and I are both impressed with the man’s humility. Very happy to greet the spectators and not the mean son of a gun off the field that we had anticipated. I think he is the type of player that it’s good for the younger players to have around.

Word is Crowley is a fabulous influence; good humoured, supportive and already very very committed to doing the right thing. A great team man and perfect for the times.

Wait, Eades got a in club suspension? Where is this said? What for? I'm so lost!

Yes
The sky is falling.
Man the Harpoons

I must of missed it. Jeepers.

The wagons have been circled for some time - I feel we have the right people manning the rifles. Thanks Jackie. Your analysis of the flaws in our game plan are spot on. We need to switch 20% of the time, not 80% of the time. We only look good when we slingshot through the middle. We NEVER look good when we don't slingshot. It's that simple.
The times we have looked good in the NAB games. was when we moved the ball through the centre with purpose and pace. Tippa has a big role to play in this. Thanks for the latest report JM. l don't know where Tiff would fit in the Alamo story, but l am sure she has a role to play in 2016.

b

Yes
The sky is falling.
Man the Harpoons

I must of missed it. Jeepers.

Yestin told me it was a minor quad strain. 4 week, (not 8-12 week). Anyways, he was back on the track on Wednesday

It’s an interesting question whether we should pursue the run and gun through the middle approach. It definitely is preferable to the slow ball movement of going safe around the perimeter, or crossing the ground slowly to find space, and attempting to come in from the so called “fat side”.
WC did the latter to us repeatedly last week, and it was very successful early. But that is because they outran us when the options became available in the space.
We like the run and gun and it looks fantastic when it works. But we telegraph it so clearly, and sides with good numbers protecting the middle area close in on the ball carrier and we often turn it over due to the pressure.
It can be a numbers thing, but more often it is a skills thing. If your hands and decision making are fast enough and good enough, and you survive the opposition’s attempt to take it off you through the middle, easy goals beckon when you finally kick, provided you have a forward or two who has either stayed at home, or run quickly enough to get into space ahead of the ball.
Our problem is we lack the necessary skills to survive the pressure.
I remember when Geelong were the top side and we tried to pressure them as they ran it through the middle. They didn’t look that much different to the way Knights used to have us play, they just did it better, and their skills and speed of hand to get it off before a tackle was superb.
It is a high risk, high reward style, but you just have to have the skills.
At this point we haven’t.
The question is, do you persist even when you look bad by turning it over, and hope to develop the skills required to do it well, or do you go conservative and move it slowly but safely, acknowledging you don’t have the skills to take the risk and succeed.
It is what the modern game is all about.

It's an interesting question whether we should pursue the run and gun through the middle approach. It definitely is preferable to the slow ball movement of going safe around the perimeter, or crossing the ground slowly to find space, and attempting to come in from the so called "fat side". WC did the latter to us repeatedly last week, and it was very successful early. But that is because they outran us when the options became available in the space. We like the run and gun and it looks fantastic when it works. But we telegraph it so clearly, and sides with good numbers protecting the middle area close in on the ball carrier and we often turn it over due to the pressure. It can be a numbers thing, but more often it is a skills thing. If your hands and decision making are fast enough and good enough, and you survive the opposition's attempt to take it off you through the middle, easy goals beckon when you finally kick, provided you have a forward or two who has either stayed at home, or run quickly enough to get into space ahead of the ball. Our problem is we lack the necessary skills to survive the pressure. I remember when Geelong were the top side and we tried to pressure them as they ran it through the middle. They didn't look that much different to the way Knights used to have us play, they just did it better, and their skills and speed of hand to get it off before a tackle was superb. It is a high risk, high reward style, but you just have to have the skills. At this point we haven't. The question is, do you persist even when you look bad by turning it over, and hope to develop the skills required to do it well, or do you go conservative and move it slowly but safely, acknowledging you don't have the skills to take the risk and succeed. It is what the modern game is all about.

Depends on what provides the reward. Slowly safely hasn’t done us any better than kamikaze style. We can’t deliver into the forward line, and haven’t been able to deliver into the forward line in recent memory. That’s our problem IMHO.

Thanks again jackie.

Thanks jackie.

If he is playing next week in a praccy I wonder what the odds are of a round two debut against Melbourne.