Training Friday 13 January 2023

I went. I stood with @CJohns who I’m sure will give a detailed account soon.

The main thing that stood out to me it was different from last year is that all the players look like they knew what they were meant to be doing. It’s not reinventing any wheel when it comes to brand-new dynamic ways to play football it’s just do the right thing kick a ball when you should kick it, handball when you should handball and be in the right spots.

A few things I noticed about a couple of players I’ll talk about.

Sheil: He really looks like he’s going to carry on from the form he finished in at the end of the season he was a cut above the majority of the midfielders.

Durham: He was really impressive in everything completed it every stoppage looks like he’s put on a little bit of extra upper body size, And his work rate was rewarded with three goals.

BZT: he’s easily our best key defender right now and I want to make a point of mentioning his field kicking it a sneaky weapon for us he makes really good decisions by foot.

Setterfield and Weidman both look like excellent additions , I’m not saying they’re both going to walk straight into the senior team but they both clearly filled a list need and I think we’ve done well getting them both for what they cost us they both are fitting in well.

Hep is still a fantastic leader on field.

McGrath looks excellent off half back, he’s attacking with the ball in hand and he shuts down his immediate opponent, poor old Menzie, he couldn’t get a kick on him.

Alwyn Davey Jr is fast. To me if you look at all the other younger first and second you guys that are vying for opportunities Alwyn looks the least overawed by the situation. It’s as if he’s grown up around the club his whole life and he’s finally getting his chance to play and he’s enjoying himself , like “it’s about time I finally got a go” he got a lot of the footy in the Match sim ended up with at least three I’m gonna say four shots on goal didn’t kick any of them LOL but all of them will be shots he will he will finish when he gets a little more experience. Not in that ‘he’s a young kid who needs to learn about AFL’ way, more ‘hey mate at this level we go back and go through a process and then have a shot at goal’ way. One of his goal attempts he just took three steps and had a shot when there were no options to pass it off to. In general play his decision-making is excellent it’s very much like Walla, in that he always gives the ball to someone well and in a better position. Really excited about what I saw from him today.

Speaking of the great man Walla, I walked away from today saying he’s about 80% where you would expect the best version of him to be fitness wise, And as I said to Scott we’ve probably played him in the seniors Less fit than it is now. All the things that make Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti, Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti are still there. He is a class above everyone else in our forward line he has zip, And his disposal by foot is still elite, and he still knows where the goals are.

It was clearly evident that he is relishing having the lads to mentor. There was this great moment after the mid break in the match Sim where all the players came out and went down to each end of the ground to practice their goal kicking much like they do at the beginning of games before the first bounce. Walla, Davey and Tex were all together in the pocket having shots on goal. One of them call for a football from one of the trainers and even though there was plenty to go around they all decided to have a competition to see who could get it first :joy: so while the rest of the team was going through they’re very professional goalkeeping routines we had these three who were having a kick with their mates. It was Walla who after they all had their fun, (Jayden had come over at this point as to not miss out) Got them to refocus and get their heads back into the game it was about to start back up. It was just great to see. I think we will see some of him during the preseason games, he might play a half maybe even more but he’s tracking really well. Our forward line is so much better when is in it.

I left before the end so that’s all I can comment on but I walked away thinking we’re looking better than last year, I’m not saying we’re gonna bolt into the finals but we’re on the right track.

172 Likes