Training Friday 13 January 2023

I arrived at the Hangar at 10.12 yesterday so I missed the foreplay before match sim, but can confirm the carpark was cranking. A couple of thoughts to add to the great watchers above if I may.

As noted already, the standouts in match sim were clearly Shiel, Martin and Durham. I also really liked Laverde’s game, whilst Weed, Setters, Davey, Draper, Hepps, Stringer were the others to catch my eye.

• Shiel was electric and looks super fit, as he always does. My pet frustration with him is that he always looks to kick whilst running full tilt, which is so hard to execute consistently and I believe leads to his inconsistent disposal. That looked fine to me today and it looked as though he eased up just before kicking which settled him.
  • Martin is really so classy, it’s incredible to me how this guy missed a draft (or two?) and was picked as a SSP. At one stage he took a mark about 60 out and showed great composure to wait for the forward movement he liked and then proceeded to nail a 40m dart to the fat side onto Stringer’s chest without breaking stride. If more of our players could execute inside 50 entries like he does we would be so much more dangerous. He will be an AA player for us within the next 3 seasons IMO.
  • Durham I’ve always really liked. He has a terrific competitiveness about him and a bit of junkyard dog, but he’s also very skillful and smart. He was able to get into great spots through his superior reading of the play and got good reward by finishing off some good phases with goals. He also plays with great intensity and purpose, which I really like and has added some good size. Looks a big boy now.
  • Laverde was excellent I thought and clearly our best defender IMO. He is so hard to beat one on one and again is one of the players on our list that is super competitive and hard to beat. At one stage he was up the ground on the defensive wing and a kick went over his head after a bit of a fast break towards Bryan. Running back with the flight he had no right to get a spoil in (perhaps a knock on Bryan too tbh), yet he not only spoiled and impacted the contest, he also was the first off the deck to the loose ball to start another attacking wave. Super impressive play that his teammates absolutely loved and really now what we have come to expect from him, which is real testament to the player he has become after a slow start.
  • Weideman was a good presence up forward particularly early albeit he was playing on Hayes who is just a kid. However I liked his closing speed at the contest, which he hits with pace and power. Took a few nice marks and kicked well at goal and I am holding out hopes he could form a good duo with Wright. As someone said earlier, if we can get them both singing Dodo will be honking that box of cigars.
  • Setterfield was also really impressive today. Strong contest work which is why we got him and a point of difference to our other midfielders. You don’t notice him much as he does most of his work in tight, but he does show some nice composure with ball in hand to release runners. A lot to like.
  • Davey has been really well covered by others already, and I agree with all that has been said. Wouldn’t be surprised to see him play senior games as he really fills a role as that pressure small forward who can find some footy up the ground and deliver the ball well inside 50. Exciting signs and looks like we have a real talent there.
  • Stringer looked to be MUCH fitter today to when I saw him at the start of December. It was great to see and he even spent time at a few centre bounces where he won a clearance and broke with power and pace. Seemed injury free and moving well. Was a real presence up forward but decided to pass about 3 times rather than shoot for goal himself. Also pushed up the ground at times to collect possessions and his work rate was solid. Really positive signs for a player who I think is our barometer. Get him fit and firing and we win games.
  • Draper was outstanding particularly in the second half. Will be a top 5 ruckman in the comp by year’s end if he stays injury free. Such a huge presence and his kicking is vastly improved.
  • Hepps was also really good and looks fighting fit. A beautiful snap pass inside 50 to Voss was so clean and skillful, a thing of beauty. Really hope he can get some good form this year, love the bloke.
  • Another player I want to shout out who I have been impressed with each time I’ve come along to a session is Redman. He is seriously putting his hand up as one of the best leaders in this group on field. At one stage he gave Bryan a huge spray for not setting up on the right side of his opponent in the defensive setup and I absolutely loved it. He plays with gusto and the spirit of a captain, I think he is really a smokey to be the next skipper and i’d be all for it.

An overall comment on game style and general play is that I can’t yet make out any noticeable structural changes or specific corridor/boundary preferences that Scott is coaching into the team. This is probably no surprise as we are at the start of January, but I’m really interested to see how this progresses. The main thing i’ve noted is the players like McGrath being played in positions that suit them which is good to see.

I like to balance out the positives with some areas for improvement.

• There is still some real improvement needed with how we move the ball inside 50 as has been the case for 15 years. For me the players need to show more patience and composure with ball in hand to wait for the right option and execute the pass ala Nick Martin. Simply, I’d like to see little 20m passes to players in any position inside 50 rather than going for the hero low % 45 pass or dump kick long. This also talks to our lack of forward movement and players getting to dangerous positions and opening up spaces for their teammates by leading in and out of space. There is minimal leading to the ball carrier which frustrates the hell out of me.
  • Regarding players, i’d like to see more from Cox, Ridley, Hobbs, Bryan, Baldwin. Now i’m not calling for blood and acknowledge i’ve picked out a few young guys and it’s only start of January, but these are the guys that spring to mind as those who I think have great scope to get much more from.
  • Re Cox, i’m mainly concerned about his competitiveness and dare I say it softness. He has some real talent as he showed in the first half of his debut season, but he just looks a guy bereft of confidence and hindered by a lack of development. I’d like to see him spend real time getting his body right and developing his trade in the VFL this year and banging the door down to play senior footy. He coasts a bit, and I get that he is a rangy type but he looks a boy amongst men to me (which I guess he is).
  • Hobbs needs to fix his kicking but I think everything else he brings to the table is very promising. To me it’s simply about the options he is taking in that I think he bites off more than he can chew. Keep it simple and go for higher % options and I think we would see great improvement.
  • Bryan was pretty uncompetitive in the match sim I thought. Not sure where he is at fitness wise but to me Phillips is the clear number 2 to Draper and I had hoped Bryan would be that guy by now. I think he brings a lot to the table but he just needs a greater physical presence if he is to make an impact IMO.
  • Ridley I just want to see released as the intercept superstar that he was a couple of years ago. No real worries, more depends on how Scott will set up the defence.
  • Baldwin was starved of opportunities to be fair, but he looks a bit slow to me. Id like to see him invest into speed work to get more separation from his defender which will in turn see him get more goal scoring opportunities.

I left at 11.38 as the players were entering another running session after match sim had finished. Looked brutal and is exactly what I want to see happening.

128 Likes