Training Friday 14/2/14

Training in mild conditions at Tullamarine.

Bomber came up to his regulars on the McCracken Oval and watching a stuff up ruefully said “we’ll probably see the same ■■■■ on Monday night!” How nice it is to have coach with a sense of humour which reflected today’s upbeat session. Of course there are still things to be learned but much has been accomplished in this preseason. The new venue has been fantastic, the club has once again re engaged with its supporters and the list is strong and a harmonious relationship exists between the coach and the players. Much learning has been accomplished and we can be confident of our experienced coach and his gameplan.

The most interesting incident today related to the press. bomber stopped play and asked Hibberd why he had run forward of his opponent down the ground then indicated that last year we lost games because the defenders had pressed up too far. This highlights a major structural issue and demonstrates the type of teaching that takes place at training.

Another example of this teaching process came from Jobe when he pulled up Daniher for criticizing Merret for encroaching into his leading space. Jobe’s point made very forcefully was when the ball hits the ground you will want him there which is quite true - the small forwards should always be ready to feed off a Daniher contest like seagulls at a picnic.

Let’s finish with a bit more of Bomber’s humour. Carlisle marked about thirty metres out but instead of taking the shot he did an unnecessary and botched pass off. Bomber covered his face and made a series of loud growls before saying to Carlisle “What do you reckon I’d be doing in the box now?”

Let lose the dogs of war!

Thanks for the REPORT, love your work

Winder trained fully.

Bj did the first match-practice session, then went and ran laps, then returned to “umpire” the second match practice session.

Myers, hams and Dempsey all light work in the rehab group.

Our coach is friggin awesome. Old school mix of teaching, beration and some dry humour.

How did Chappy go?

Far out I am excited to having him donning the red and black this year, probably just as excited as I was for Goddard.

It will be nice to have someone with a bit of c#@% in them.

Bomber came up to his regulars on the McCracken Oval and watching a stuff up ruefully said "we'll probably see the same **** on Monday night!" How nice it is to have coach with a sense of humour which reflected today's upbeat session. Of course there are still things to be learned but much has been accomplished in this preseason. The new venue has been fantastic, the club has once again re engaged with its supporters and the list is strong and a harmonious relationship exists between the coach and the players. Much learning has been accomplished and we can be confident of our experienced coach and his gameplan.
The most interesting incident today related to the press. bomber stopped play and asked Hibberd why he had run forward of his opponent down the ground then indicated that last year we lost games because the defenders had pressed up too far. This highlights a major structural issue and demonstrates the type of teaching that takes place at training.
Another example of this teaching process came from Jobe when he pulled up Daniher for criticizing Merret for encroaching into his leading space. Jobe's point made very forcefully was when the ball hits the ground you will want him there which is quite true - the small forwards should always be ready to feed off a Daniher contest like seagulls at a picnic.
Let's finish with a bit more of Bomber's humour. Carlisle marked about thirty metres out but instead of taking the shot he did an unnecessary and botched pass off. Bomber covered his face and made a series of loud growls before saying to Carlisle "What do you reckon I'd be doing in the box now?"

This is very good to head. Wim and I were discussing this in a training report last week (or start of this week) about pushing up too far and Wim was very concerned (which then made me very concerned) that we were still doing this.

Thanks JM and Sal.

Good to hear that Bomber is sharing the love around on Valentine’s Day! :slight_smile:

How did Chappy go?
Far out I am excited to having him donning the red and black this year, probably just as excited as I was for Goddard.
It will be nice to have someone with a bit of c#@% in them.

I was more excited for Goddy. Like really ridiculously excited, but Chappy is not far behind.

The bar has been set. I hope EFC is prepared to lure a BIG FISH every year from now on.

Hepp stepped it up again today ( compared to Monday, Wednesday) . One touch, instinctive, slows time. Probably at half rat power too!

Thought Jackson trained very well. Kicking to position is good, moves well.

Gregory continues to improve. Interesting prospect. Outmarked Jake once or twice. Very good hands overhead, running the angles ok too.

Edwards was good in the match SIM stuff. Provided run and linking options, though occassionallly across the ground when he could have gone upfield more imo.

Ambrose is a very solid kid. Good strength and a handful overhead in one on one’s. If he develops he will be an awkward match up.

I didn’t mind thurlows ruckwork today. Decent. I would worry about his ability to get around the ground if we had to call on him at senior level, but I can see some tools in pure tapwork.

Hurls far more involved today. My theory is he won’t really fire up until the white line fever finds an outlet against opponents, not team mates.

Pears was good. Played on Chappy for parts, a bit more fluid in his ball use. The best thing was he seemed to read the ball better in the air than for a while and was able to put himself in front of packs.

Browne was quite prolific, if somewhat untidy. Particularly by hand.

Jetta was excellent, overall. Particularly as a long session wore on. Evasive and skilled, some decent pressure as well.

Zach and Gleeson seemed to have lighter sessions, sitting out the second full ground match SIM.

There were a lot of specific scenarios being replicated within the drills, so I won’t hazard a guess as to the main aims and objectives, but I felt we trained pretty well overall. A tough day for forwards.

There were a lot of specific scenarios being replicated within the drills, so I won't hazard a guess as to the main aims and objectives, but I felt we trained pretty well overall. A tough day for forwards.

Just put a gorilla on us for the flag!!!

Thanks again guys, really appreciate the work.

Quick (dumb) question: What is the McCracken oval? Is it the MCG sized oval?

Dempsey…

Another example of this teaching process came from Jobe when he pulled up Daniher for criticizing Merret for encroaching into his leading space. Jobe's point made very forcefully was when the ball hits the ground you will want him there which is quite true - the small forwards should always be ready to feed off a Daniher contest like seagulls at a picnic.

Pffft.......................If Joe is on the end of a clean entry into the forward line, the ball ain't gunna hit the ground.  ;)  :D

Zach gets to where he needs to be. Joe better get used to it.

Bomber = Boof

Number 1 ranking in AFL not far away :)

Bomber came up to his regulars on the McCracken Oval and watching a stuff up ruefully said "we'll probably see the same **** on Monday night!" How nice it is to have coach with a sense of humour which reflected today's upbeat session. Of course there are still things to be learned but much has been accomplished in this preseason. The new venue has been fantastic, the club has once again re engaged with its supporters and the list is strong and a harmonious relationship exists between the coach and the players. Much learning has been accomplished and we can be confident of our experienced coach and his gameplan.
Let's finish with a bit more of Bomber's humour. Carlisle marked about thirty metres out but instead of taking the shot he did an unnecessary and botched pass off. Bomber covered his face and made a series of loud growls before saying to Carlisle "What do you reckon I'd be doing in the box now?"

This is very good to head. Wim and I were discussing this in a training report last week (or start of this week) about pushing up too far and Wim was very concerned (which then made me very concerned) that we were still doing this.

:lol:  :lol:  :lol: rolf. You really need to start reading your posts before you push the button Ross. These freudian slips are starting to form a pattern. 

Great stuff...will have to find a day to see a training session in person.

Was Joe upset that he was trying to crumb and Zach should've been playing the Davey role?

One drill was in half the ground, the aim of the setup for one team to clear from the centre bounce into their forwards. Stants threw a spanner in the works by twice sharking the centre clearance for the “defensive” side, lol, and swaggering around quite chuffed with himself.

Morale is very high. The odd spray from Bomber probably helps this too, the players in no doubt that the guy calling the shots knows exactly what the hell he wants.

Mate I love the training reports too, but Valentine's day doesn't mean you can go and get all kinky and stuff.

Mate I love the training reports too, but that's just sick!!!

JM is Tasmanian, hence why I said "to head", I just forgot the 'w'.

Mate I love the training reports too, but that's just sick!!!

JM is Tasmanian, hence why I said "to head", I just forgot the 'w'.

to hewad?

I know, I know...