Training Friday 14/2/14

There were a lot of specific scenarios being replicated within the drills, so I won't hazard a guess as to the main aims and objectives, but I felt we trained pretty well overall. A tough day for forwards.

Just put a gorilla on us for the flag!!!
Thanks again guys, really appreciate the work.
Quick (dumb) question: What is the McCracken oval? Is it the MCG sized oval?

yeah, the mcCracken oval is the MCG one

How did Chappy go?
Far out I am excited to having him donning the red and black this year, probably just as excited as I was for Goddard.
It will be nice to have someone with a bit of c#@% in them.

I was more excited for Goddy. Like really ridiculously excited, but Chappy is not far behind.
The bar has been set. I hope EFC is prepared to lure a BIG FISH every year from now on.
I hope they don't get the BIG FISH next year, he'll turn 50 before the season starts.

There were a lot of specific scenarios being replicated within the drills, so I won't hazard a guess as to the main aims and objectives, but I felt we trained pretty well overall. A tough day for forwards.

Just put a gorilla on us for the flag!!!
Thanks again guys, really appreciate the work.
Quick (dumb) question: What is the McCracken oval? Is it the MCG sized oval?

yeah, the mcCracken oval is the MCG one

Named after the bloke who's name Tiff said to jackie prior to the 3rd session in January if I remember correctly, just on the half-forward flank.

Anyone else getting a "feeling" about this year thats been missing for over a decade?

so we have a 

Anyone else getting a "feeling" about this year thats been missing for over a decade?

yep - Comes from having a dual premiership coach as the head coach.  Just loving what I'm reading about the attention to detail and the teaching he is doing. Trying to get rid of those aspects of our game style that hurts you during a match. Trying to get the players to be switched on 100% the time about what they are doing.  

I think we are absolutely going to get a side that has Bomba stamped all over it. No mistake, this is 100% his team, there's nothing caretaker about it. He clearly has his own views on what went wrong onfield and to a large extent is rebuilding certain methods and playing style. It might take a while to bed in, but he'll get what he wants and this year will stand on its own feet, not dawdling around for whatever 2015 is to bring.
It's perfect for this playing group, imo. It feels real in a footy sense, not full of new age ideas and Molly coddling of young egos.
Jobe also has an imprint that should not be overlooked.

Went along to my first training session in quite a long time and spent most of it chatting to sal, JM and a couple of others.

I can’t add much to what the other lads have already said, but I will say that I expect both the Merrett’s to play a fair bit of senior footy this year. Jackson is unsurpringly ahead of Zac at this stage, but it wouldn’t shock me to see them both feature in Round 1. They’re different types of players but a common factor is that they both look really clean with their use of the ball; was great seeing them link up with a few handballs together too.

IMO, Jetta was a stand out today; you know what you’re going to get from Jobe, Heppell, Fletch, etc so naturally you’re looking for signs of improvement from those on the fringe of senior selection. But yeah, Leroy got involved all over the ground, used it really well and was able to create a spark in some otherwise static play. All that said, I remind you that this was the first pre-season training I’ve been to, so take my comments re individual form with that in mind. Credit where credit is due, though.

Edwards was another who caught my eye; early days but I reckon we’ve found one here, all he needs is experience. Nice pace and size, looks to have a good work rate, plus bar one shanktastic effort his disposal looked sharp.

Others I liked were Steinberg and Dell; they seem to move around a lot more than our other forwards and avoid being sucked into the pockets. Steinberg wasn’t clunking a whole lot today but he’s got that Hurley trait of rarely being out-marked in the contest…he either grabbed it or brought it to ground. As for Dell, he looks fit and is a tough bloke to tackle.

Overall, there’s certainly a really good vibe at training and it was great to see play being stopped and re-set when the coaches weren’t happy with the way a drill was being executed; lots of teaching going on, and while they players might not be getting it right every time, it looks like they’re benefitting from recieving immediate feedback during an exercise.

Special mention to our skipper for his communication and leadership; it’s genuinely like we have another coach out there, which is what we want more out from our players.

Excellent report as always, JM. We are deeply in your debt.

I hate asking about individual players, but I'm wondering if those observing think that Howlett has shaken off injury issues he had in last year's season? Seems to be completely unmentioned in reports to now.

I hate asking about individual players, but I'm wondering if those observing think that Howlett has shaken off injury issues he had in last year's season? Seems to be completely unmentioned in reports to now.

With all due respect to Ben, and I really do rate him.

The day he is playing great football in two's but unable to break into the seniors is when you know our midfield is flying.

I think we are absolutely going to get a side that has Bomba stamped all over it. No mistake, this is 100% his team, there's nothing caretaker about it. He clearly has his own views on what went wrong onfield and to a large extent is rebuilding certain methods and playing style. It might take a while to bed in, but he'll get what he wants and this year will stand on its own feet, not dawdling around for whatever 2015 is to bring.
It's perfect for this playing group, imo. It feels real in a footy sense, not full of new age ideas and Molly coddling of young egos.
Jobe also has an imprint that should not be overlooked.

Bomber was there and knows we have a genuine side -  they showed last year that it can mix it with the best... and it has enormous heart to do as well as it did given the maelstrom it was under.

He's been given a special opportunity to be in charge of them and give it one massive crack for a year. Probably comes with little* pressure given the "caretaker" tag. He'd relish that opportunity. Drive the car hard and foot to the floor for a year and see what happens. 

*not the president....

This is the first year that I've read training reports, so I am trying not to get sucked in too much.

But the growth from some of our players last year - Melks, Buckets, Hooker, Pig, Bags... Then throw in BJ and Chappy.. Yeah, I got a feeling...

yay, training!

No mention of Dante Exum at training?

thanks guys :)

Does VU show anything that would be useful at AFL level. The write ups of him are obviously in invisible ink and gives me the impression that he will finish his AFL career without a senior game to his name. I hope to this isn't the case and he is able to shut down dangerous players becoming a highly valued player. Are there any signs or will he continue to be never seen or heard.

They have tablets for that now.

Van was ok today. Not a standout, but then not many get to standout with the way we train. It’s about doing your job in the structure. Playing in the back half, was the switch out wide target several times.

Belly was there today too. Ankle strapped up, still hobbling. Seemed in good spirits.

Cheers for the reports. Thoughts on Carlisle as a forward? Doesn't seem to be going great from the brief mentions in the reports so far.

posting pics will be spasmodic. having some slow-internet issues.