Training FRIDAY 16/1/15

Training in warm conditions at Tullamarine.

This report is an amalgamation of many blitzers including Muriel St Bomber, Wallan Bomber 2,Karma Bomber and our old friends Sandbelt, Bender and Saladin.

Modified or absent Carlisle, Pears, Hocking, Dalgleish, Dempsey, Browne, Hams and Fantasia , O’Brien, Kommer, McKernan, Jerret, Cooney and at times Aylett.

Contrary to some who might think Dempsey was at Jenny Craig he has a leg injury which Mark Harvey says is not serious. Hams and Browne did lap after lap of running and at good pace. I would expect Hams to be ready soon and Browne a little later.

Last week I commented on the size of this group but a medical report from the club later in the week has put it into perspective so I won’t comment further.

Mark Harvey came and had a short chat to us and said that the players would “smashed” over the next few weeks as training ramped up. Before Christmas it was more about defensive running but now the much more competitive match simulation starts.

The most interesting comment he made was that we should “watch out for a kid called Langford.” (That took me back to a preseason practice match at VFL Park in the early eighties when the coach told me to “look out for a blonde kid called Harvey” so how the wheel has turned.)

The coach was the right about training ramping up and the practice match was lengthy and exhausting. Several players stood out. Naturally we kept an eye on Langford - initially a couple of his short passes dropped short getting to the recipient on the bounce but later he showed out very well with strong movement into the forward line and good ball use including a pin point fifty metre pass to Joe who converted.

Players were very vocal during the match play encouraging and giving instructions and the high level of professionalism was emphasized when Chapman said that the behaviour of a player who was not coming off when told to was “unacceptable”. However it was possibly taking criticism a bit too far when after a series of 400 metre runs following the match a trainer told the players who were exhausted not to put their hands behind their heads but to show “strong body language.”

Muriel St Bomber says that Bellchambers was moving very strongly and looked fit and mobile and presented very well before sustaining a slight injury towards the end. Colyer pulled up early with what looked like a slight hamstring but I wouldn’t be concerned at either of these tweaks.

We watched Kavanagh closely today (Saladin was with us after all) and he worked hard, was very involved and was more vocal than usual. Despite some fumbling he trained very well as did Zerret whose disposal and work in close is beautiful to watch.

Connor is coming along nicely and at one stage took a bounce before hitting Joe on the chest with a good pass. This was overshadowed by Edwards who raced through the centre and took three bounces before slotting it home for a goal. This is very encouraging although we noticed he was lagging a little in the 400’s that followed the match. When he builds a tank he could be anything.

Hurley trained well and looked very fit following his Colorado experience but did receive a whack behind the left ear during a marking contest. Saladin observed that if his hair was down instead of in a bun it might have acted as an air bag to soften the blow.

Looking good today if we can get them all on the track look forward to some good performances in a couple of months.

Chappy has a bit of a gut on him

Chubby Chappy … ■■■!

Some very interesting haircuts.

Great coverage all. Well done.

Was there. Super impressed. Good luck picking 22 from this list, particularly if you don’t just pick the usual suspects. Great list.

BTW Laverde family are a super supportive bunch. All the best to their boy.

A reply to: @jackie mihocek regarding QuoteLink

Saw Julian Wallace's photo of Zach Merret on the Essendon website and was immediately reminded of Jack Clarke one of our most skillful centremen ever.

That is a great get, JM. You are dead right. Jack Clarke always looked as if he was about 45 years old, and he’s usually forgotten in discussions of greats of the past, but he was right up there with them. One of those players who always did everything right.

Very badly treated by the club, too, as a result of which the Clarkes are now all Carlton supporters.

Great photos Saladin. Fine work.

Thanks Sal and other contributors.

Any chance Hibbo gets push up the ground into the midfield this year? Looks to have toned right up.

A reply to: @Barnz regarding QuoteLink

A reply to: @mattmcp regarding QuoteLink
Don't you guys have jobs?

Seriously though- nice work. I shall live vicariously through your training reports.

I heard someone commenting that Giles looks unfit. Is he injured/ on a modified program/ just taking on the Ryder role during preseason?

Looked buggered.
I think Bruce Reid mentioned in the latest injury update that he had a slight hamstring strain towards the end of last year so perhaps he hasn't done as much work as others at this stage as a result.

Muriel St Bomber says that Bellchambers was moving very strongly and looked fit and mobile and presented very well before sustaining a slight injury towards the end. Colyer pulled up early with what looked like a slight hamstring but I wouldn't be concerned at either of these tweaks.
Good luck with that one...

(thanks all)

Thanks again Jackie work scheduling prevented me from getting there, so I appreciate it.

The strong body language is very important IMO. One thing I hate is players walking off after a loss with heads down. If theres nothing to laugh about in defeat, stare straight ahead, chest out. Never ever bow the head after a loss. No matter how you feel inside.

Kav was involved a fair bit as noted above. Fumbled the ball a fair bit, as noted above. But his hands are lightning quick, he was always where the ball was and doesnt mind going in to apply some defensive pressure. Still dont quite know what his role is however. Was training with the mids sometimes, but then in the practice match it seemed like he predominately played off HBB. But then sometimes it seemed as if he was just watching a man. I really dont know what to make of Kav TBH. Skills seem to be there, but dont know if theres really a spot for him with Stants/ Howlett and Hocking all in the team.

Was really impressed with Hurley. Very vocal and commanding. Looks mighty confident in himself and is in great shape. Was leading his group at the end of the day during the 400 runs by a fair bit. Took a couple of nice grabs at the end of the sesh, but I still dont quite think his wrists are too great. When he marks he sorta hooks his hands over the ball and pulls it down into his chest, rather than grab the ball in the air as its coming towards him.

Same could be said for Hooker. Very vocal and confident. The defensive squad seems a very tight nit group.

Bellchambers looks in good touch. Played a fair bit forward throughout the sessions and his strength and running seem to be his greatest attributes ATM. Conversely, Giles looked absolutely cooked at the end of the session. No sure whats up with that.

Jobe, Stants, BJ, Zaharakis, Hepp were all at their usual high standard.

Early on there was some leading/ marking drills involving the forwards. Joe looked right at home. He’s got the leading patterns down as good as ive seen any forward since Lloyd at our club. Yes it was just a training drill but it seems so natural to him. He’s a pretty impressive trainer too Joe, always goes in for 2nd efforts whether it be an attempted tackle or a smother, which is what he does during proper games too… he holds himself to a high standard Excited about what he can do this season.

Both Hams and Browne would have to be very close to doing some sort of contact training. They look extremely fit and in good spirits. Dont reckon theyre too far off it at all now.

No Demps. Ah well.

However it was possibly taking criticism a bit too far when after a series of 400 metre runs following the match a trainer told the players who were exhausted not to put their hands behind their heads but to show "strong body language."

That’s funny, an old footy coach used to make us do the same.
Thanks for the report.

Thanks again Jackie

I wonder if any senior players have been assigned the Edwards task.

Poor old Demps is now self concious and asked his mum for the day off school.

Great to hear such glowing reports about Joe and Zerrett.

For those who were there, how did Laverde and Gleeson do today?