Training Friday 16/12/16

Just with JOEDAN, if he is doing a lot of quality running then he cant have much of a leg injury?

Probably doing hours of kicking practice in the big shed and they dont want to over do it.

I reckon Crow has it all under control.

http://i.imgur.com/NsRA8Bc.png

This was posted by EFC facebook page but has since been deleted

FRIENDS BECOME ENEMIES

Insta-like.

Never not funny.

http://i.imgur.com/NsRA8Bc.png

This was posted by EFC facebook page but has since been deleted

O_o

^^^^ Perfect!

Sunny light wind morning at the TVSC, Arrived at 9:30am as they were just starting and stayed close to 1pm so it was a long session with many different drills and scenerios. I could tell a little the players have had a big 3-4 week intense fitness program as they were lively but some younger players looked a bit tired and bodies definately ready for a Christmas break.
There was some players on light duties including Draper, Daniher, Parish, McKernan and Jobe so they mainly just did running laps and light skill drills. McKernan still has a few weeks to go but Daniher, Jobe and Parish were all moving and running fine. Likely just a management of load decision but saying that Joe has been on light duties for sometime now.
The new draftees mainly had a seperate program of skill sessions as a small group.In all it was a faily light day and they are just being managed. However they did for 30 mins do a small match simulation on the other MCG shape oval with all the under 24 players(and Hocking). This was a good chance to see the next generation against each other with Zerrett, Langford, Francis, Stewart, McGrath, Begley etc.
I have to say Francis has been training well from all reports but today I sense a tired body as he is doing a lot of work to get fit. Tiredness affected his kicking and just had a day where he just wasn’t himself and he let everyone know his frustration:)…he is extremely competitive by nature. Marking was very good but kicking just needs some work…but if anything I know he has had a big month and looked a touch tired. One point he was on all hands and feet on the ground exhausted…his work rate and desire is what’s promising. This hard work will pay off.
McGrath was the one that shined for me. he played off half back and through the middle and his run and kicking really caused headaches for the opposition. Begley also got a lot of the ball and uses it quite well…The Fridge as the players call him I think might be a surprise.

Quite a number of skill drills today and it did highlight that the senior players coming back are looking really promising. Heppell is looking great. I must say when the senior boys did match simulation Colyer was the stand out for me…he looks great!!!. It was very noticeable Hooker has done a lot of work on his kicking for goal. I would say he was at about 80% plus accuracy today. He did a lot of work on repititive leading today with Stewart and the signs are pleasing. Hooker will be a monster to defend. Stewart’s kicking for goal is picture perfect.
Now without obvious bias Ben McNiece looks at home with the AFL boys…his ball use really is his weapon. His biggest problem as i see it is that I was watching Morgan and McKenna and they look to have improved as well. Morgan just doesn’t miss a target and is moving so well…saying that McKenna I think is going up another level again…he is really one to watch for me. McKenna has put on some muscle and looks the part.

One thing is evident is that the boys aged 20-24 know those best 22 list spots are not assured at all with senior boys back. Laverde, Fantasia and Langford are fighting for those forward/Mid spots and it’s very aggressive in competition. This is extremely healthy for Woosha seeing this.
There was an emphasis on completing skills when exhausted. When the boys were doing skill sessions like handball drills and kicking they had to sprint 100 metres first and then go straight into the drills. Quick ball movement is the message and handling this in the 4th qauerter of games.
Overall a long solid session and I am sure the boys are hanging for the week break…Hartley said to me…mate I am buggered!!! Good thing is they are enjoying it and know it will produce the goods if they hang tough.

McGrath was the one that shined for me. he played off half back and through the middle and his run and kicking really caused headaches for the opposition.

Now without obvious bias Ben McNiece looks at home with the AFL boys…his ball use really is his weapon. His biggest problem as i see it is that I was watching Morgan and McKenna and they look to have improved as well. Morgan just doesn’t miss a target and is moving so well…saying that McKenna I think is going up another level again…he is really one to watch for me. McKenna has put on some muscle and looks the part.

I remember the bad ol’ days, a few weeks back, when we were inexplicably rated as being short on HBFers.
McGrath was the one that shined for me. he played off half back and through the middle and his run and kicking really caused headaches for the opposition.

I remember the bad ol’ days, a few weeks back, when we were inexplicably rated as being short on HBFers.

how we just have short hbfs.

Pretty sure that LAV and Raz photo is from karmabomber earlier in the week :slight_smile:

Thanks JM & CJ!! These reports are just fantastic- we are so lucky to be able to get such an insight into training - helps tick off the days till the games begin. Bring on Feb 16th! Love it that they’re really scrapping for a place in the team. Brings out their competitive best.

It’s December and we are discussing guys who are yet to prove themselves as dependable AFL quality half backs. Do they have talent? Of course.

Following Hibberd’s departure and the decline and eventual departure of Dempsey I maintain that this is an area that we are deficient in. When i say deficient, I don’t mean in terms of the options we have but in terms of the proven quality players who are reliable defensively and provide good rebound offensively.

At present Baguley is our only player in this category IMO.

Goddard will spend some time floating around in the back half and has good attributes but also some faults that are more apparent as he is getting on in years. Kelly is quality but is only a short term fix back there.

I’d be rapt if two of the following guys really took their game to another level in 2017 and string together consistently good footy, making the spots their own.

*Gleeson
*McKenna
*Morgan

McGrath is in his first season so he’ll take time but given he was taken at 1 you never know, he could surprise and lock down a spot back there ala Heppell in his first season.

I’d like to see these sort of guys given plenty of opportunity form permitting.

Dea is a solid, capable medium defender who can be called on to do a job when required.

Plenty of competition for spots and it will be interesting to see how these pieces of the jigsaw get filled early next season.

With all the fights he’s getting in, maybe Laverde’s reputation really is shot within the playing group?

Awesome reports Jackie and CJ. These are like a nicotine patch for my footy addiction.

Thanks CJohns.

Quite a number of skill drills today and it did highlight that the senior players coming back are looking really promising. Heppell is looking great. I must say when the senior boys did match simulation Colyer was the stand out for me…he looks great!!!. It was very noticeable Hooker has done a lot of work on his kicking for goal. I would say he was at about 80% plus accuracy today. He did a lot of work on repititive leading today with Stewart and the signs are pleasing. Hooker will be a monster to defend. Stewart’s kicking for goal is picture perfect.

Any relation of yours?

Thanks CJohns.

Any relation of yours?

I love Indian food but no. Slight difference in spelling of surname

Quick ball movement is the message

With all the fights he's getting in, maybe Laverde's reputation really is shot within the playing group?

Awesome reports Jackie and CJ. These are like a nicotine patch for my footy addiction.

Shattered not shot
The new draftees mainly had a seperate program of skill sessions as a small group.In all it was a faily light day and they are just being managed. However they did for 30 mins do a small match simulation on the other MCG shape oval with all the under 24 players(and Hocking). This was a good chance to see the next generation against each other with Zerrett, Langford, Francis, Stewart, McGrath, Begley etc.

I can’t imagine there was a whole lot of play on a 5’9" oval. A McC shaped oval would be better.

he also points to Jake Long's improved fitness - he is keeping up with people like Zaka right to the end of the session.

You tell us not to be too concerned about Joe, then in the next paragraph say we should be replacing Joe in our Rd 1 best 22 teams :). Hopefully he is ok, if not he has surgery over Christmas break.

That’s not what I said. Please look at precisely what I wrote.

Can you tell me a little bit about how the fridge trained. listening to a Howlett interview he was saying what a great kick Begley was off both feet pin pointing passes, did you pick up any outstanding foot skills at training besides McKennas.

I think he’s training well. I haven’t heard the Howlett interview but he is physically strong and seems a sort of relaxed player if that makes sense. Like a lot of the younger players he kicked poorly for goal at the end of the session as fatigue set in.

There were many good kicks but nothing that stood out in particular. Other people were there and may have noticed something.

A pic popped up of Lav and Fantasia today. Bit of a scuffle?

I think that might have been Wednesday but I’m not sure.

Hope we're not just "waiting out" whatever is wrong with Joe. He is supremely important.

Do you actually think there is any chance they are?

Whatever it is, it is being managed as best they see fit, and no injury ever does best management include, just waiting it out.

I doin’t know the reason for his current training. They are pro active with injuries rather than just waiting them out.

I can’t keep avoiding the Joe watch question. Joe is doing heaps of running along with Watson but no kicking, a pattern we have seen for some weeks. I don’t pretend to know why and part of it may be to increase his aerobic capacity and perhaps he is doing goal kicking away from the ground.

Thanks Jackie as always. I have a confession. In quiet moments when nobody else is around, I’ve been having thoughts of Joe as our Nick Nat, floating forward and kicking 3 or 4 whilst NOT EVEN BEING PART OF THE FORWARD LINE.