Training Friday 2/2/18 - Live Coverage

Daniher is going to tear the competition apart this season. Coleman is garunteed. I wouldnt be surprised if he kicked 80+.

5 Likes

Probably because he got dropped half way through the year as he did the year before when half of our team was missing.
Yes he finished the season ok, but he needs to play at that level or better for an extended period to be a valuable member of the team rather than just a fringe best 22 player in a middle of the road team (which is what he was last year).

5 Likes

He has been lauded by team mates, coaches and recently commentators for his good 2nd half of the year. Fringe players don’t play 18 games a year.

6 Likes

I really don’t know many teams with more defensive capability than us

Smalls: Baguley, McKenna, Saad, McGrath
Utilities: Hurley, Goddard, Gleeson, Dea
Talls: Hooker, Ambrose, Hartley, Brown

And that’s only the established talent

The fact that we choose to distribute that talent in other areas is a coaching choice and more to do with an absence of talent elsewhere

If we lined up with

McGrath Hooker Baguley
Goddard Hurley Saad

It would be close to the best in the comp

1 Like

I’ll give you the coaches and team mates, but who gives a ■■■■ what the commentators think?

Either way, he has to back it up. I’m not convinced yet

You really can’t rate backlines by looking at individual players. Two things are of fundamental importance. One is that backlines play as a cohesive single unit that works to prevent the opposition scoring and to get the ball moving constructively into attack. The individuals within the unit work together to make that happen, and each one contributes to that in his individual way.

The second is that no backline, however talented and however well its members work together, will stop a winning score being kicked if the opposition is dominating the rest of the ground and continuously pumping the ball into attack.

1 Like

@Stallion wants to know how Jesse CAMPISI has been going this pre season

Cause what would the coaches ( multiple) know?
And every player has to “ back it up” in terms of future form, so by your logic all of our players are fringe best 22.

1 Like

BJ was in the top 10 mids in the first 3rd of the season. He’s centre square work is one of the best at the club, but the coaches see more value in his outside foot skills. They moved him outside for longevity too. He has been phenomenal since he came to the club, not to mention he is now a past captain. Not many can say they’ve captained Essendon FC.

9 Likes

Gleeson’s transition ability is one of the best in the team. Defensive marking turns defense into attack. Won’t find anyone more courageous for his body type. He’ll keep improving to doubt. If we have someone more capable, fantastic, but he’s not letting anybody down, and he’s certainly showing Franga that you don’t get games handed to you in a platter.

9 Likes

Coniglio is better than that.

Watching GWS play. He is not there best midfielder but I reckon he is there most important. They are infinitely better when he plays because of his accountability, physicality, and discipline. Highly underrated.

2 Likes

Move over Buddy because there is a new sherif in town.

1 Like

He’s got the moustache for it.

3 Likes

And to think that potentially best of them in Setterfield has been playing NEAFL! This kid is scary good!

2 Likes

There has been very little talk about Daniher this off season.

I think mid way through this year, he’ll be talked about as the best player in the competition. Forget best KPP. He will be THE BEST player.

3 Likes

People have been too busy talking about his weight to recognise his talent.

11 Likes

Yeah agreed. No doubt last year was the best of Gleesons career but when you look at his year as a whole, you can’t say it was anything better than average. Needs to perform at the level he showed in the final all season if we’re gonna be a top 4 defence.

1 Like

Similar to what I said about Gleeson, no doubt it was Conors breakout year but if he doesn’t back it up with more improvement and consistency then we will continue to be middle of the road.

1 Like

Big call.

Josh Kelly is around top 5 players in the comp.

1 Like

If anyone on here should know it would be Scorch, after talking to him for a great period of time on Wednesday I know he has a thorough understanding of the NEAFL players