Training Friday 23/1/15

Training in sunny conditions with a strong cross wind at Tullamarine.

Absent/modified:

Hurley
Myers

Carlisle, Hocking, Dempsey, Hams, Kommer, Browne, Jerret, Aylett, Dalgleish, Pears and Gwilt.

The club has explained they are taking a conservative approach perhaps a bit like the harm minimisation programme the government uses for drugs if you are looking for some sort of parallel.

Training was gruelling today and the players are reacting very well to 500 metre reps, ball movement drills and practice match play.
In particular they are very vocal and give plenty of advice and instructions to teammates and you can see that they are really trying to implement the game plan. Goddard more than anyone is leading in this area.

Melksham is giving it everything in the 500’s almost to the point of injury and there was a keen duel all day between Stanton and Ambrose. Both are very fit. The experienced defenders in Fletcher and Hooker tended to be at the back of the pack but once the practice match started they were among the best performers.

Dempsey jogged some really slow laps while Browne and Hams worked out on the Clarke Oval. There is some hope for Browne to resume full training next week.

In the ball movement drills up and down the ground there was and emphasis on changing the angle when bringing the ball back into the corridor presumably to avoid predictability and this was generally handled pretty well although the windy conditions affected the accuracy of passing and kicking for goal especially for the less experienced players. Langford missed a number of targets and Joe performed poorly with set shots which he usually won at the expense of Steinberg whose form seemed a little down today.

The highlight of the morning was when Joe was lining up for a set shot about 45 metres out and Hirdy said “50 press ups if he misses” and when Joe hooked it badly they all did fifty. It will be interesting to see what you think of this negative motivation technique. To balance the picture a little it was only done once and I was told Joe kicked 15 goals 3 for Lloydy earlier in the week. Joe was also told that the players up field need to hear him calling for the ball when leading.

Edwards who shows great potential seems to get more advice than almost anyone from his teammates about where to run and it was pleasing to see that after some earlier criticism he did a good inside handball after earlier looking for a target to the outside. At the same time the coach continually stressed the importance of holding the ball inside the forward line.

Two players to show out today were Bellchambers who had a picnic in the ruck and Zerret who always looked dangerous but it was the experienced players such as Winderlich, Goddard, Jobe, Fletcher, Stanton and Cooney who did best in the windy conditions in what was a fairly scrappy practice match. Still a long way until the season starts so I am sure they will get better but I can’t help but feel concerned about the thirteen players not able to train fully.

Thank JM.

I wouldn’t worry about the negative motivation technique. When i played footy I loved that kind off stuff. It’s great laugh and good for moral. You can give a bit of cheek as well if they miss.

I use it on my under 12 kids now and they all laugh.

At least none of our three rucks are in that list!!

thanks JM!

Thanks jackie.sure missed being there today

How did Cooney do, JM?

Quoted Post

How did Cooney do, JM?

As mentioned Cooney was among the best.

In the modified group you have player, Dwyer, listed.

Who is that?

We don’t have a Dwyer on the list do we?

Yay! Another report.

Now, if I can figure out the public transport I may be able to attend myself next week.

A reply to: @ealesy05 regarding QuoteLink

Who is that?

glad it wasn’t just me

They were certainly flogged. Ontop of the 50 pushups after Joey missed they also had to run sprints mid match simulation when Joey sprayed it, again. Then straight back to match simulation.

Hirdy seemed ferocious today. Between him and Harvey swearing and barking at the players it’s no suprise that the talk between everyone is also up a notch. Loud, angry and determined would be how I would describe todays session. There is no groaning. No talking back and allot of respect out there.

My highlights:

Colyer’s confidence is growing. Running hard and beating opponents. Still gotta tighten up his field kicking but is essential to our finals hopes.
Langford towelling up Hibbo and kicking well for goal. Ambrose should be sweating… and in my opinion might play a few more games then people think. Joey even saying “kick it to him instead he’s on fire”.
Melksham’s intent - he looks serious and throwing himself into everything.
Chappy moving well through the middle. Not putting a foot wrong and throughly deserving another year.
Fletch telling X rated jokes to the younger players during warm up.

Quoted Post

A reply to: @ealesy05 regarding QuoteLink

Who is that?

Sorry I meant Aylett.

glad it wasn’t just me

Thanks for the reports guysis carlisle moving ANY better? Very worrying. I pray every time i open one of these it says he’s improving or into full training

Thanks for the report Jackie. Brilliant as always.
I think Jackie is confusing Dwyer with another player (Aylett??).

A bit concerning there is that many players in the modified group. Seems like it’s increasing week by week :frowning:

Here’s hoping it would be significantly lower by the start of NAB Cup.

WOB Carlisle only walked laps yelling abuse and did some boxing that I could see. Def concerning…but Jackie might no more…

Any news on how benny is training?

Dwyer and Aylett. Both played for North Melbourne many years ago, probably explains the confusion.

Very exciting to hear that Zerrett is amoung the best and is a real standout in almost every training report.

Going to be an absolute star.

"there was a keen duel all day between Stanton and Ambrose. "

Interesting. Ambi’s too big for a tagger, surely?

A reply to: @The Ant regarding QuoteLink

Thank JM.

I wouldn’t worry about the negative motivation technique. When i played footy I loved that kind off stuff. It’s great laugh and good for moral. You can give a bit of cheek as well if they miss.

I use it on my under 12 kids now and they all laugh.

Agree with the Ant here, in fact limited use of this increases team bonding and morale. Just dont overdo it. Its not Nazi Germany. Hirdy knows this and would know exactly how far to go with it.

The Stanton/Ambrose bit appeared to be in the context of the 400m sprints, Deckham.