Training Friday 23/1/15

A reply to: @jackie mihocek regarding QuoteLink

Quoted Post
How did Cooney do, JM?

As mentioned Cooney was among the best.

He oozes class. Lovin this . Thanks for the report Jackie. Maybe see you Monday ?

A reply to: @David J Richardson regarding QuoteLink

The Stanton/Ambrose bit appeared to be in the context of the 400m sprints, Deckham.

Oh, hahaha…ta mate.

A reply to: @howlettbro regarding QuoteLink

Any news on how benny is training?

What he said!

I’m heading to training Monday & Wednesday. Looking forward to it.

A reply to: @Deckham regarding QuoteLink

"there was a keen duel all day between Stanton and Ambrose. "

Interesting. Ambi’s too big for a tagger, surely?

Also has the lateral agility of a Grand Piano.

The ONE problem the HPC has is that because the building is only partly on one side, in any sort of South West windy conditions there will be a lot of fluctautions in wind . Its called eddy shedding. I think we can excuse the players under these conditions, particularly at the north end., but in reality it should make them even better at judging the flight of the ball and adapting . It is indeed interesting that the experienced players cope better. It just shows what experience and years of training will do in the adaption of players to required skills under a range of conditions.

Quoted Post

In the 400 metre runs.

Oh how I envy those of you that get to training on a regular basis. Living on the other side of the country definitely sucks big hairy balls at times. Thank you one and all, and in particular you Jackie, for these wonderful reports.

Look forward to going Monday and seeing the boys train. I really like Hird going quiet for the last 6 weeks or so and going heavy with educating, focusing & training the boys hard as a tight group. Would rather this at this time of year than worrying about seeing him on tv or radio.

A reply to: @crumbs regarding QuoteLink

They were certainly flogged. Ontop of the 50 pushups after Joey missed they also had to run sprints mid match simulation when Joey sprayed it, again. Then straight back to match simulation.

Hirdy seemed ferocious today. Between him and Harvey swearing and barking at the players it’s no suprise that the talk between everyone is also up a notch. Loud, angry and determined would be how I would describe todays session. There is no groaning. No talking back and allot of respect out there.

My highlights:

Colyer’s confidence is growing. Running hard and beating opponents. Still gotta tighten up his field kicking but is essential to our finals hopes.
Langford towelling up Hibbo and kicking well for goal. Ambrose should be sweating… and in my opinion might play a few more games then people think. Joey even saying “kick it to him instead he’s on fire”.
Melksham’s intent - he looks serious and throwing himself into everything.
Chappy moving well through the middle. Not putting a foot wrong and throughly deserving another year.
Fletch telling X rated jokes to the younger players during warm up.

A reply to: @RTBC regarding QuoteLink

A reply to: @Deckham regarding QuoteLink

Also has the lateral agility of a Grand Piano.

Sure admit he is slower than a Mongolian Wild ■■■, but ever been hit by a grand piano moving at 20km/hr ? Opponents will tend to stay hit. Have a look at what he did to Tyson Goldsack last year. LOL.

Oh FFS, how “slow” do people think Ambrose is? He wins the 2km trials, he wins the 400m trials. I guarantee you if the 30 odd blokes did a 20m sprint you would probably struggle to pick who came first and last because the results would be bunched that close together.

I hope opposition coaches are reading this and put ‘slow’ defenders on him because he’s so ‘slow’.

They were certainly flogged. Ontop of the 50 pushups after Joey missed they also had to run sprints mid match simulation when Joey sprayed it, again. Then straight back to match simulation.

Hirdy seemed ferocious today. Between him and Harvey swearing and barking at the players it’s no suprise that the talk between everyone is also up a notch. Loud, angry and determined would be how I would describe todays session. There is no groaning. No talking back and allot of respect out there.

My highlights:

Colyer’s confidence is growing. Running hard and beating opponents. Still gotta tighten up his field kicking but is essential to our finals hopes.
Langford towelling up Hibbo and kicking well for goal. Ambrose should be sweating… and in my opinion might play a few more games then people think. Joey even saying “kick it to him instead he’s on fire”.
Chappy moving well through the middle. Not putting a foot wrong and throughly deserving another year.

Hey crumbs, at first I thought you meant Ambrose should be sweating in relation to his hard efforts, and that he will play more games than we think, but then on a re-read it seemed like he should be sweating because Langford could take his spot?

Thought Langford looked the goods today. Was next to Harvey when the guys were warming up and he told the guy next to me to watch number 32…Langford

Spent most of the session watching and talking to Ken Fletcher. Nice bloke and has a bit to say does Ken. Reckons Dusty can go on past this year and Hirdy loves him. Said the players are rapt Hird is back

A reply to: @wannabe regarding QuoteLink

My highlights:

Hey crumbs, at first I thought you meant Ambrose should be sweating in relation to his hard efforts, and that he will play more games than we think, but then on a re-read it seemed like he should be sweating because Langford could take his spot?

Maybe we are now seeing why Dodoro took Langford at 17 and not 20?

A reply to: @Revie regarding QuoteLink

Thought Langford looked the goods today. Was next to Harvey when the guys were warming up and he told the guy next to me to watch number 32.........Langford

Spent most of the session watching and talking to Ken Fletcher. Nice bloke and has a bit to say does Ken. Reckons Dusty can go on past this year and Hirdy loves him. Said the players are rapt Hird is back

I vaguley remember a radio interview with Ken Fletcher a few years back where he reckoned that on occasions Dustin lacked the required intensity for AFL footy. This was when Dustin would have already been well into his 30s.

Reckon ole Ken might be a bit of a tough marker when it comes to his son.

I’d be wary of writing Ambrose off as he can be anything. I’m a big fan. And i’m probably wrong in assuming he and Langford are vying for the same position but Langford plays a style of forward we are lacking. That 2nd/3rd forward that can pop up and kick a bag…He seems like a versatile tall with great hands/kicking action and fast enough to defend…I think he will play more games because he just seems really comfortable already.

Oh FFS, how "slow" do people think Ambrose is? He wins the 2km trials, he wins the 400m trials. I guarantee you if the 30 odd blokes did a 20m sprint you would probably struggle to pick who came first and last because the results would be bunched that close together.

I hope opposition coaches are reading this and put ‘slow’ defenders on him because he’s so ‘slow’.

He is slow as a wet week and if you disagree you are wrong

Anybody saying Ambrose is slow is not watching properly. Just because his legs are not fast doesn’t mean his is not quick of the mark or that he is necessarily slower than the average player, he could have a longer stride. If I had to guess I would say his first 10-20 is very quick but his top speed is not as high as the speedsters. Add to that becuase he is so fit his speed would chnqve much over the game. He is only going to get better with time, and he is already a decent player.

Langford will take a bit of time, but I wouldn’t be surprised if he played 5-6 games this year.

A reply to: @Peeto87 regarding QuoteLink

Oh FFS, how "slow" do people think Ambrose is? He wins the 2km trials, he wins the 400m trials. I guarantee you if the 30 odd blokes did a 20m sprint you would probably struggle to pick who came first and last because the results would be bunched that close together.

He is slow as a wet week and if you disagree you are wrong

He is quicker than your mate Del :slight_smile:

A reply to: @Nocturnal regarding QuoteLink

If I had to guess I would say his first 10-20 is very quick but his top speed is not as high as the speedsters.
Other way around I think. He's pretty good over ~400 but his 20m is rubbish. He definitely makes a fair bit too much space through a match to be uber-slow, but he doesn't burn blokes off either. I suspect he's slightly slower than average, depending on the distance.

I'd be wary of writing Ambrose off as he can be anything. I'm a big fan. And i'm probably wrong in assuming he and Langford are vying for the same position but Langford plays a style of forward we are lacking. That 2nd/3rd forward that can pop up and kick a bag...He seems like a versatile tall with great hands/kicking action and fast enough to defend..I think he will play more games because he just seems really comfortable already.

I’ll be excited to see more of Langford when I get the chance. I think what might hold him back if not size will be the lack of knowing the game plan, or only just beginning to learn it. Also we seem to think that we are going to have a serious crack at a flag and so there might be less opportunities to for debutants to just run around and try and get a kick. Of course come July and August you’d expect the new guys will be up to speed with most things and the injuries could be piling up.

As for Ambrose, I’m a big fan too. He seems a bit of an underdog and while I’m happy he kept getting selected last year, I did wonder what it was he was doing that the coaches loved so much, since he seemed to be on most people’s “most expendable” list.

Another pre-season though and a few new tricks could see exponential growth for Ambrose, in both on-field ability and admiration from fans.

I think we could be surprised at how important T-bell is for us this year. About the only negative to come out of this off-season is our #30 packing off, but T-bell’s best is very good and the added responsibility and maturity could see him really cement himself as a fan favourite.

A spine of Hooker, Hurley, T-Bell, Carlise, Daniher…wow… Belly’s the oldest at 25yo, we’ll be set for the next 5 years.