Training Friday 27/3/15

Training at Tulllamarine in cold, windy conditions.

Today’s report is a combined effort with Muriel St Bomber.

The most important thing today is to convey the atmosphere ahead of Tuesday’s ASADA decision and the grey skies and cold wind provided an appropriate backdrop for a lacklustre session where there were very few smiles and at times a lack of on field talk during the practice match. The players are understandably pre-occupied and it was noticeable that some of the officials were quoting the latest optimistic rumours or being curt and grumpy with each other.

In fairness the strong wind blowing down the ground was partly responsible for the poor, imprecise disposal but there were few good passages of play to move the ball into and through the corridor as we have seen practised this pre season. For example in one passage of five passes the yellow team kicking into a strong wind marked at centre half forward and then with a series of sideways and backwards passes moved the ball right back to their own half back flank.

Muriel St Bomber: Modified group trained on the Clarke Oval. This group included Kommer, Colyer, Aylett and Hocking. Cooney trained away from the modified group and just ran laps at about three quarter pace but left the track early. It was good to see Kommer do a little bit of training and Aylett progressed to agility work. Colyer sprinted laps at full pace and didn’t seem to be at all limited by injury. Winderlich and Pears did not train.

I was impressed with Melksham. His work ethic is exemplary. When he gets the ball and disposes of it he then works hard to present as an option. He kicked two memorable goals. One when he out bodied his opponent and marked the ball and the other when he crumbed a ball which had spilled from a contested marking situation.

Jackie:
Don’t worry too much about the quality of today’s session because overall it has been a very good pre season. It’s understandable that the players have Tuesday on their minds and we felt flat and anxious ourselves as we watched. I’m sure that you all join with Muriel St Bomber and I in wishing the players and coaches all the best for the tribunal decision and I think the atmosphere around here will be very different next week.

Danke JM, I’ll also chip in.

The 40 kmph Arctic wind blowing across the ground made this far from the sleek session you’d be hoping for the week ahead of round 1.

The sides in match simulation, which went for about an hour, may have been telling ahead of next week.

The A Side was for the most part-

B- Baguley Hooker Fletcher
HB- Ashby Hurley Hibberd
C- Zaka Watson Stanton
R- Bellchambers Myers Melksham
HF Goddard Carlisle Zerrett
F Ambrose Daniher Chappy

Int - Gleeson, Gwilt, Howlett

From what I observed, I’d expect Gwilt and Howlett out and Colyer and Cooney in.
No Giles, Edwards, Langford, Fantasia seems to be the case.

Dempsey seems unlikely and did a bunch of work with fitness staff after the main session had finished.
Looks like they will indeed ease him into the season.

EDIT - Heppell to come in for Ashby or Gleeson if he gets up. Which I’m fairly sure he will. Going on his movement today, I’d rate him a 70-30 chance.

Thanks to all for the great rundown on today’s training.

Thanks guys!

Quoted Post

Danke JM, I'll also chip in.

The 40 kmph Arctic wind blowing across the ground made this far from the sleek session you’d be hoping for the week ahead of round 1.

The sides in match simulation, which went for about an hour, may have been telling ahead of next week.

HB- Ashby Hurley Hibberd
C- Zaka Watson Stanton
F Ambrose Daniher Chappy

From what I observed, I’d expect Gwilt and Howlett out and Colyer and Cooney in.

Dempsey seems unlikely and did a bunch of work with fitness staff after the main session had finished.

Thanks ST and all.

What about Heppell?

we’re all feeling it.

Thanks JM and MSB

Thanks for the report. Did Heppell train at all?

Quoted Post

Danke JM, I'll also chip in.

HB- Ashby Hurley Hibberd
C- Zaka Watson Stanton
F Ambrose Daniher Chappy

No mention of Heppell?

Heppell trained in a bunch of drills with main group and also did an intense session with the strength coaches on the Etihad sized oval. Looks close but not 100%. I’m sure he’ll get there by the end of next week, he’s too professional not to.

Quoted Post

Thanks for the report. Did Heppell train at all?

Mainly on he Clarke oval. He looks ok just recovering from a minor operation to clan up his knee.

thanks again for the reports…Hopefully the mood is a lot better next friday.

Quoted Post

thanks again for the reports...Hopefully the mood is a lot better next friday.

Well they do call it “Good” Friday!

Mood and morale obviously not anything to worry about, it’ll either stay down if we’re guilty or just farking skyrocket to proportions probably never seen at a football club if we get off.

Thanks guys. I so look forward to these reports.

The saga must be tough on the players. Hard enough on the supporters.

#back our boys

Quoted Post

Training at Tulllamarine in cold, windy conditions.

For example in one passage of five passes the yellow team kicking into a strong wind marked at centre half forward and then with a series of sideways and backwards passes moved the ball right back to their own half back flank.

I tell you what…it’s going to be a very frustrating year if we keep doing that.

I noticed in the NAB Challenge games that more often then not our first possession from around the middle of the ground (from a mark or free kick) was a kick backwards. Then we’d kick backwards and side ways across the ground losing up to 50m.

I guess it’s OK if your using it to set up a play (and obviously this is what they are doing i.e the defence have all flooded back and clogged up space so to create space we retreat towards our defence which draws their players out and unclogs our forward half) but geez it’s as boring as all hell.

Thanks to all for the great rundown on today’s training.

Thanks Jackie and Muriel (is that Tiff’s sister?). Not surprised to hear the boys are flat.
Bring on Tuesday! Is there training on Tuesday night or will the players get a leave pass to go get completely Ben Cousined?

Thanks for the training report!

Interesting comments about Melk. In February / early March he was also up and about and training very seriously. Sounds like he cannot be faulted for effort in this pre-season. It would be good for the team if he can get back to 2013 performance levels.