Training Friday 31st Jan 2014

So Paddy's pre-season of fire consists of rucking vs Fraze and Joe...

How did Dell go?

Stein, fkg excited.

Great write up Efc4

Good times ahead.

It was perfect weather today, and it was my good luck to be at the training centre along with a tiny group of others. I enjoyed it so much I didn't pay any attention to details, so I didn't try to write anything before, but I can probably fill in a few gaps at least now.
I go along with EFC4ever on pretty much everything, except maybe giving Ryder 4th best. Not that he didn't do well, only that he didn't look to be switched fully on - which is not unusual I know. I would have promoted Hurley and pushed Hocking up a bit, and now I think of it Mark Baguley should be right up there too. Skills, yes, 6.5 is fair considering how good the conditions were.
Answering some questions:
Collyer - occasionally did a good thing, since you ask
Carlisle - generally beaten up forward (by Hooker)
Howlett - not there
Dempsey - not there
Goddard - not there
Hooker  - see above
Other thoughts, not necessarily in any order:

• It was good to see Michael Hurley showing a bit of form, reading the play and (at last) hitting targets
  • I thought Tate Pears was mostly solid, but he still shows a liking for the sideways handpass that doesn't hit anybody
  • Kyle Hardingham is still strong (and very clever) overhead, and you still can't trust him shooting for goal
  • Joe Daniher was kicking OK but not getting a lot of it, except later when he went on the ball.

Right at the end the coaches called the game as one minute to go with the red team having to defend. Those of you who still lose sleep remembering times like this last year should take no comfort from today's performance. In that one minute the red team gave up two turnovers and made at least one other bad mistake, and gave the blues a shot on goal from 50 after the siren. It didn't miss by much.

Chappy picked it up with his foot!

Great reports guys!!

Love your work mate, cheers for the report. Did you notice Colyer much (and if so, what role did he appear to have)?

In and out of the play for most of it and didn't stand out to me! 

Thanks for the report EFC4ever :).

For clarification, is the Merrett you are referring to Jackson?

Jackson Merrett was the one in all the play - got alot of the ball, just needs to work on his disposal and decision making. Could've been due to fatigue some of the mistakes but he needs to learn quick if he is to play wing this season. 

Zac did some nice things as well. 

It was perfect weather today, and it was my good luck to be at the training centre along with a tiny group of others. I enjoyed it so much I didn't pay any attention to details, so I didn't try to write anything before, but I can probably fill in a few gaps at least now.
I go along with EFC4ever on pretty much everything, except maybe giving Ryder 4th best. Not that he didn't do well, only that he didn't look to be switched fully on - which is not unusual I know. I would have promoted Hurley and pushed Hocking up a bit, and now I think of it Mark Baguley should be right up there too. Skills, yes, 6.5 is fair considering how good the conditions were.
Howlett - not there
Dempsey - not there
Goddard - not there
Hooker  - see above

• It was good to see Michael Hurley showing a bit of form, reading the play and (at last) hitting targets
  • I thought Tate Pears was mostly solid, but he still shows a liking for the sideways handpass that doesn't hit anybody
  • Kyle Hardingham is still strong (and very clever) overhead, and you still can't trust him shooting for goal
  • Joe Daniher was kicking OK but not getting a lot of it, except later when he went on the ball.

Right at the end the coaches called the game as one minute to go with the red team having to defend. Those of you who still lose sleep remembering times like this last year should take no comfort from today's performance. In that one minute the red team gave up two turnovers and made at least one other bad mistake, and gave the blues a shot on goal from 50 after the siren. It didn't miss by much.

I cant believe i left out Bags - he is one of my favs as well - He run off and set up play a few times, which was good to see. 

Love your work mate, cheers for the report. Did you notice Colyer much (and if so, what role did he appear to have)?

In and out of the play for most of it and didn't stand out to me!

Scrolling through a bit of info the other day and found the Colyer made AA U18, was named on the bench.

Thanks for the reports guys.
It sounds like for the tall forwards one end of the ground had pretty much bests vs. bests (Carlisle, Daniher, and Ambrose versus Hooker, Hurley and ? while at the other end there was Hardingham & Steinberg against Pears and ?.
Were the smalls similarly split? Was the midfield a fair split?
I’ve not been paying too much attention to Ambrose in the reports, but if he kicked 5 and was in the “bests” forward formation, is he a chance of getting a go this year? Or just a good game.

Jackson’s disposal won’t be a problem. Generally a good user.

Kommer - Did he spend any time in the midfield ?

Howlett - not there
Dempsey - not there
Goddard - not there
Hooker  - see above

I cant believe i left out Bags - he is one of my favs as well - He run off and set up play a few times, which was good to see. 

Saw Howlett on training vision.

No Watson or Myers??

I think Watson was mentioned as being sometimes opposed or switching with Zaha.

Watson competent but not pushing himself; Myers on the ground but not much in the play; Dell occasionally noticeable.

The forward/back matchups that I can bring to mind were like Hurley* v Daniher, Hooker* v Carlisle and Hiibberd v Winderlich*. Sorry, I can no longer recall who had Steinberg and Hardingham but I don't think they were very senior players. Pears tended to be on smaller types and they changed from time to time.

Howlett - not there
Dempsey - not there
Goddard - not there
Hooker - see above

Saw Howlett on training vision.
No Watson or Myers??

RIP to anyone not mentioned, has been a bad season for the Spanish Horse Ebola.

Dempsey? Goddard? Hooker?

What Dempsey and Goddard do in their spare time is none of our business.

Glad to hear that some of the younger players who have been on fringe for the last couple of years, the ones we need to step up to make an impact are now doing just that. While it is only an intra club practice match, it has to start somewhere and these are good signs. l also like the sound of Hurley's game, a very natural presence back there, whose disposal will help set up many transitions into attack. Lid off.

thanks sandbelt and EFC4ever - those of us that live a long way from Melbourne love this stuff :)