Training Friday 6/2/15

Quoted Post

Thanks for these outstanding reports Jackie.

Since viewing the small J Merrett clip on EFC site, he looks to have a pretty good build now. More like a young man than a boy. Hows he looking on the track this pre season? Do you notice the difference in his physical maturity? Is he looking more like a senior player or does still look like a rookie?

cheers and happy cooking.

J. Merrett looks stronger. He has always appeared a confident player to my way of thinking and won’t have any problem slotting into the seniors but I think a number of others have gone past him which is not a problem he is still very young.

Thanks for the report Azzapop. Love the detail.
But Colyer ain’t going to be our next Chappy up forward, his run has been and will be used primarily in the midfield. He is our best linebreaker.
And Stein will have to play on the big resting rucks. He played on Ben Brown, admittedly not that well, but that’s the kind of guy he would get.

Quoted Post

Great report JM. Couldnt make it today due to work - next Wednesday i have off, hope to make it out to watch.

Interesting to read your observation and the improvements of Colyer: I remember watching his U18 champs year and i thought he was going to be flushed out of the system due to his poor kicking. Time, development and improvement in endurence/strength has seen him get to the new levels. I think his best position is high half forward or that sixth midfielder and i hope this year with a few stints in the centre bounce clearances instead of being out on the wing.

What position did langford play today? Seems both Laverde and langford are capable of playing a variety of positions, which is an exciting prospect for our list.

Like most of them he was up and down the ground but predominately forward. Kicked one nice goal but also wasted a long kick across the face of goal to no-one in particular. Moves very fluently and is a nice mark.

Laverde was very good last week and marked well again today. His double baulk was something he might get away with in junior football but I think he might have learnt a little lesson when he tried it today.

Quoted Post

Thanks Jackie!

Is Winderlich playing forward or back?

Both ends but predominately back I thought.

Quoted Post

Who is the number 1 ruckman?

Bellchambers.

Quoted Post

Another good report and completely agree with the quality and intensity.

I like to individualise more than strategise this time of year! In no order.

McKernan- was also impressed with his work and positioning, will add flexibility if one of the keys go down.

Colyer- standout and will need to be. Has to and will surpass Chappy as our main goal kicking small. Set for big things.

Licha- Half back to go with our plethora of options in this area. Hird wants him there, Dempsey possibly looking the unlucky one…hmmm

Steinberg- doesn’t make the cut for me, too small out marked way too many times- yes by likes of Giles who he would t play on but…let’s hope we don’t have that many injuries!

Belly/Giles- really like it, big imposing men, we lost the X factor in Ryder but have 2 big blokes with grunt who can take a catch.

Dalgliesh - dark horse. Good size, pace and kick. Disciplined, always tight on his man and in right spot, senior footy coming his way.

Newbies- bit quieter today. Langford better reader of the game. really games are a bonus, years of promise for both lads. And for those excited or hopeful Ambrose far superior at this stage.

Ambrose- personally think he’s awesome. Must be made of stone. Yep drops some marks that make u cringe but you know sure as hell he will go again. Clearly our third/hit up forward

Jerrett- to answer above, yes more bulk, fits in now in that area, smooth mover. Defence is his current lesson ran with Goddard got towelled early mainly in air (bj too smart) but fought back to win a couple. In the 20-26 player mix.

Gleeson/Ashby- Ashby was the one who impressed me today, got a bit of it plays hard for his size -again the half back dilemma. Marty can move to a wing but ashby will have to bide his time.

Carlisle- Yes great size, very thick up top. Started to hit up some leads today for 10 minutes.

Chappy- moved really really well, no issues what so ever if that keeps up. Possibly has dropped a coupe of kgs.

Father Time- Gotta love him. Reckon Hurls paid the due respect in the tackling drills by going easy on the old fella. Was where the ball was when he should have been as per got the rest nod.

Gwilt- not sure he saw the session out? Not as noticeable as I have seen him before. I’m not sure how big other sides are but we must be getting close to one of the thicker set clubs- he’s in my side round 1. Think Hurls will have to go forward with most likely no buckets early on.

Bags- don’t fck with me!!!

Pig- you fck with bags u fck with me and good luck… we’re from franga!

Fab five - Skipper, junior skipper, Zakka, Bj and stants (all in the red and black v yellows) did as they please poor howlett and zerret were outnumbered to the point Hirdy jested “you’re allowed to score as well yellows” all fit and firing.

*plus coondog and zerrett will knock on door sooner than later.

Hooksy- decent forward for an all Aussie CHB! Was simply structural but he made the most of it! Fit as ever.

Oh yeah Kav! Ummm oooh I’m just not sold - has smarts give him that, improved his tank give him that gets bit of the ball but…why can’t I see it???

Hams- nice to see him out there. Maybe wrong but was floating as small forward. Will need good games in 2s And injuries. 26-30 player range

Rookies- nothing of note didn’t notice much of either apart from fact Irish has legs already!

So where do they all fit in? Great conundrum for coaches multitude of options in most areas bar small medium forwards. You get a chance u grab it or the next one will, depth from 20-35 best we have had in quite some time

Loved the session hence why I posted. You warnt a kick and were told about your mistakes

P.s We should sign BJ as a coach sooner rather than later!!!

Liked your report always good to get a run down of each player.

With Kav I think I can see definite improvement and as I mentioned last week he is giving it everything. The impression I have formed of him is that he is a very good linking team player and he accumulates possessions fairly evenly over four quarters. I think he is one player who probably needs to be given five or six games in a row.

Nice to hear that they are ramping it up, Belly in particular. He will be anxious to make up for a lost of lost time from last year. Good signs.

Great reports guys.

How were Z.Merrett, Cooney and Kav today, Jackie?

Quoted Post

Thanks for the report Azzapop. Love the detail. But Colyer ain't going to be our next Chappy up forward, his run has been and will be used primarily in the midfield. He is our best linebreaker. And Stein will have to play on the big resting rucks. He played on Ben Brown, admittedly not that well, but that's the kind of guy he would get.
Still gives me nightmares thinking of sideshow brown tearing us a newie. Farking Norf

Quoted Post

Great reports guys.

Zach and Cooney are both givens in your best side and they train well every week. Nothing special to report.

I’ve commented on Kav above.

Quoted Post

Quoted Post
Great reports guys.

Zach and Cooney are both givens in your best side and they train well every week. Nothing special to report.

I’ve commented on Kav above.

Thanks mate, excellent stuff!

Makes you wonder what the ceiling is for T.Colyer. His performance in the losing final was high quality. The major shift in kicking technique appears to derive from his poise and willingness to balance before contact. I’m very bullish about the lad and have him as a candidate to move into our top handful of players.

Quoted Post

Makes you wonder what the ceiling is for T.Colyer. His performance in the losing final was high quality. The major shift in kicking technique appears to derive from his poise and willingness to balance before contact. I'm very bullish about the lad and have him as a candidate to move into our top handful of players.

And have you seen how he’s developed his upper body??
He’s getting close to Chappy…

Couldn’t deal with that missing space in the title…

Quoted Post

Makes you wonder what the ceiling is for T.Colyer. His performance in the losing final was high quality. The major shift in kicking technique appears to derive from his poise and willingness to balance before contact. I'm very bullish about the lad and have him as a candidate to move into our top handful of players.

I agree RTBC, Trav is an excitement machine and as well as being fast, he also is very good in close one on one contests and marking duels. He is fast enough to get to the contest quickly, controlled enough to not give away a free and then win the ball. Great stuff. I think you are right Trav is ready to shine in 2015. I was neutral about Trav, now I am a convert.

Quoted Post

I heard the players were going to boycott training.

I heard Dempsey was hungry and he ate all the training and now there isn’t any training anymore.

Quoted Post

Quoted Post
Who is the number 1 ruckman?

Bellchambers.

Supercoach secret weapon.

Quoted Post

I doubt he’ll be ever able to reach the ceiling.

Quoted Post

Lol colyear "peppering" the crowd

“Franga” boys

Question: with Joe MIA as big target was hurls fwd or back as he has been spending some time around lloydy , nb serious Q

“A number of different players were rotated through the two full forward positions including the three resting ruck men, LaVerde, Ambrose and even Hooker. Hurley spent some time at cfh and was later swung into the back line.”

Question: where is tiffany ? There’s been more sightings of Elvis to be honest. With the fairly decent summer attire on show recently if you could share your expert commentary on this important matter Jackie that would be helpful

You will be able to see a lot more of Tiffany in about a month - just be patient and all will be revealed.

Why is it that everyone wants to see pictures of Tiffany but never ask for Jackie?

Quoted Post

Lol colyear "peppering" the crowd

I’ll never forget it here was this little guy with tremendous pace who kept kicking the ball out on the full and missing targets by thirty metres. How times have changed.

Remember when Jobe couldn’t kick for peanuts and we kept yelling for him to handball? He’s turned it around too so it can be done.