Training Friday 8 February

McNiece is a special case at 26. 2 preseasons, 10 career games, 8 games last year, may be a a bit of a sleeper for the small defender position vacated now by McGrath and Baggers. It will be interesting to see how he is going.

[quote=“chris_64, post:368, topic:14924, full:true”]
McNiece is a special case at 26. 2 preseasons, 10 career games, 8 games last year, may be a a bit of a sleeper for the small defender position vacated now by McGrath and Baggers. It will be interesting to see how he is going.
[/quote
Have always rated his footy brain. Physicality and anticipation in the contest some areas of improvement though.

He had a fair bit of the footy in the match sim. At one stage he was at a stoppage and cleared the ball and all the boys got around him with excitement.

Re Mckernan, I am pretty sure Worsfold has said in an interview that he will get first crack from the group that includes Stewart and Brown.
The fact he was playing ones while those other guys played VFL last year backs up this thinking.

Just read that Adelaide are playing Port in an under 23s practice match before JLT. I think this is a good idea, wouldn’t mind us doing it to have a good look at kids/draftees, and give leadership opportunities for second and third year players. Can top up with VFL players if necessary.

Thoughts, y’all?

Stringer has just been Stringer in sessions I have seen. He just does what he needs to.
I wouldn’t say his running has been better but I don’t think he has been struggling either.
His nous in match play stands out, he gets to good spots in stoppages. He has been kicking the ball well and using his left more than I have seen before.
He has had continuity this pre season, I’d suggest he has only missed a couple of sessions. He wanted to go to the next level this season and I think that’s possible.

Sounds exactly like the issues Matthew Watson had as a tall KP defender at Carlton. To slow to decide on how to use the ball and then too slow to execute…and not really that good 1:1.

Thanks guys. I have no doubt he’ll take it to another level. I think mainly due to them knowing how to use him better. Last year he had to play all over the place but i think his role will be more focused now that Shiel is in and the other young mids are stepping up.

Gleeson would be more of a chance than Redman who has only just started running again. Gleeson has been doing a lot of running though, it will all depend on how fully he has recovered from his injury.

I along with I think most of the us can’t see a spot for Ambrose alongside Hurley Hooker and Francis, but in the past he has nearly always been selected when fit so who knows.

If it comes down to either Guelfi or Ridley it will be a very tough choice as I really like both of them.

Guelfi has had a great pre season and been very impressive as well as being extremely versatile. Ridley hasn’t stood out quite as much but has also had a different role training more with the defenders whereas Guelfi has been with the midfielders.

I would probably just pick Guelfi at this stage if I had to unless we had injuries to talls and need more height in which case I would pick Ridley. But I really hope Ridley gets plenty of opportunities this year as well.

Cheers mate - I’d have to agree with all of that.

Not good. Needs a bit of a hoist these days.

talk verde and parish to me.

Our U23’s would smash most other teams I would think.

Only Brisbane would compare in my opinion.

Guelfi is more like a versatile spack filler plus he has a bit of the mongrel about him. I like that. He can play almost anywhere if he has to and for us, that makes him a very valuable player.

Parish with McGrath were my best. Not far behind was Shiel.

And Laverde started well, looks huge and is marking well, but didn’t see too much of him in the last.

You didnt see that last year :stuck_out_tongue: ?

okay you guys convinced me

you’re probably got to put down more than that if you want to cash in. on the flip side, you can’t lose

Hahaha havnt put my stake in yet😜

The Elf is consistently under rated on here, as in not often considered best 22, despite having a great debut season last year, and showing considerable improvement during the off season training reports. The other forgotten man is Bags. Again l struggle to understand the lack of love/respect for him, given what he produced last season. l note that he barely rates a mention in many of the training reports, is he being stealthy or invisible?