Training Monday 1/2/16

Training in calm, sunny conditions at Tullamarine.

Leuenberger and McKernan absent, Gwilt and Redman ran laps and Cooney didn’t join in although he seems to be moving a bit quicker with his running. Goddard trained today and moved well.

I was critical of some aspects of training on Friday but today I thought the players trained well and with improved disposal. Trying to have an understanding of the atmosphere is quite difficult this year but I will try to summarise what I have deduced so far:

The players fall into three groups;

1. the core of returning players.

2. the new recruits, and there are a large number of these about eleven or twelve new faces.

3. the experienced top up players who are still trickling in.

Without the experience and leadership of the suspended players there is understandably somewhat of a leadership vacuum (not a criticism) and it is taking time for these three groups to meld into a cohesive unit. E.g. If you tried to name your best 22 you would probably find it more difficult than in previous years because the pecking order is less clearly defined especially in deciding the relative position of the top up players.

The appointment of Goddard and Baguley will help with this and as the players train together the cohesion will improve but I suspect only up to a point. In my opinion the group will not gel properly until they have played a number of games together.

Kommer was quite impressive today going flat out as a leading small forward in a drill where it was one forward against two defenders or two forwards against four defenders. You would have enjoyed seeing Kommer and Tippa pairing as the small forwards and applying great defensive pressure on their opponents.

Ambrose is impressing with his fitness although apparently he didn’t go in the triathlon. This event was won by Zaharakis with Crowlpey a credible second although the swimming leg was cancelled due to the water quality at Williamstown.

There was a new ruckman trying out today Sam Michael from Brisbane who is an imposing figure. Sam did quite well although he was rucking against the inexperienced Gach. I haven’t seen Joe rucking at training his whole attention being given to forward work. joe is very competitive and was quite vocal today in urging his team mates to greater efforts.

Stokes, Kelly and Crowley were among the impressive top ups.

All in all a pretty good workout in a fairly long session.

You would have enjoyed seeing Kommer and Tippa pairing as the small forwards and applying great defensive pressure on their opponents.

Good gravy.

Hows The Langford moving and looking . Has he added muscle -

Thanks Jackie. Melding the team into a unit is my worry also. The head coaches leadership will be more important in this respect than otherwise would be the case imo. Ruck seems to be looming as a problem. Yet again.

Cheers Jackie,

Was thinking training was Tuesday Friday and was going to get down tomorrow but looks like it’ll have to wait for Friday.

Good to hear Kommer is up and about.

Interesting to hear if Jamar was at training with the news of him being linked to Port as well as Essendon.

(i guess it wouldn’t be a big deal if he missed anyways due to him being only part time coach)

You would have enjoyed seeing Kommer and Tippa pairing as the small forwards and applying great defensive pressure on their opponents.

Good gravy.

which one is the gravy?

Cheers Jackie,

Was thinking training was Tuesday Friday and was going to get down tomorrow but looks like it’ll have to wait for Friday.

Good to hear Kommer is up and about.

No training Tuesday as far as I know.

Interesting to hear if Jamar was at training with the news of him being linked to Port as well as Essendon.

(i guess it wouldn’t be a big deal if he missed anyways due to him being only part time coach)

Not as far as I know.

Komsie!

I really feel kommer is going to be a bonus this year with his never give in attitude, inspiration plus

Sam played with us last Pre Season didn’t he? Any reports…cant remember how he went Ruck wise

Has Cooney EVER trained?

Has Cooney EVER trained?

not this decade

Has Cooney EVER trained?

Wait till he plays a good game in about round 6, and then gets another contract.

Kommer back from the dead pairing with Tippa up front is exciting.

The struggle will be getting enough ball into the fwd line!

Kommer and Tippa applying forward pressure…Welcome to orgasmville everyone.

Cooney was a deadset fk up. The blokes more cooked that charlie sheen

Has Cooney EVER trained?

Has anyone checked the Bomber Cafe? I had a mate that would front up for the kick to kick before training and make sure he was in the coaches eye so he knew he was there and then wait for the warm up lap before jumping the fence to get his parma in the clubrooms and wouldn’t be seen again.

l expect the players are still a few weeks/rounds away yet from becoming a cohesive unit. Time is something they don’t have. Too many variables, but this is one intangible that can’t easily be overcome. l will be pleased with any decent steps taken in this direction. We will get a better idea of how they are developing, depending on how long it takes the 3 groups mentioned in the OP to become one. Thanks JM.