Training Monday 11th December

I can tell you that it’s bullshit. Most of us will say we don’t lip read when asked if we lip read because lip reading involving 70-80% of guesswork. Yes, there are a few deaf people who can lip read very well but most of them will still give up after 5 or 15 min - just imagine trying to listen to a person with a thick Scottish or Indian accent talk about policies or even sports.

Here’s a great clip (about 4 min) about lip-reading: https://youtu.be/n1jLkYyODsc

Edit: although I should point out that it’s less difficult for hard of hearing people, and they can cope with lip reading on a daily basis because they can hear to an extent with their hearing aids so that helps. But yeah, just cos they’re good at lip reading, it doesn’t mean it is easy for them.

3 Likes

Every generation has plus and minus… and arguments about the merits of each have always happened… but Gen Z could answer all questions definitively about which way we are heading… I have two myself and am involved with plenty in a volunteer capacity… they, as a generation, just approach things differently to anything we have seen before. The biggest difference is this generation literally demands that society changes to suit their needs… and so far it has. That is scary in some ways but we won’t really know for another 20-30 years what that actually looks like.

I still reckon training reports are going to be appreciated… although maybe they will just live stream them??

1 Like

Have you been checked for male colour blindness?

3 Likes

you mean like the Essendon recruiters…? *

*cue benfti in 1, 2, 3…

7 Likes

Partial deafness.

About 50% in the right ear, and 25% in the left.

Yes, I should be wearing the aid on the right.

Not sure if you’re joking.

CJ certainly missed the in-joke in FGTM’s line.

But Hugh was 10+ years later than Mal Pascoe and wore #40.

Vietnam was sick man. Plus Austin Powers. Sorry, I’m gen x, have to be a cynical prick apparently

1 Like

l was joking, in reference to here to a poster who was a nephew of Mal Pascoe’s and got his number mixed up. He wasn’t sure if it # 32 or # 34. He started a thread on the history board about it, probably more than 12 years ago now, it was hilarious.

Gee, even Buddy thinks that Joey is the player who is most like him, but I guess he is just an idiot, so what would he know.

Set up a Patreon or Go Fund Me, or some such thing, and I would throw in a couple of bucks for you to put up photos and training reports.

Clever Bar Steward

He absolutely is an idiot, for many reasons other than just this.

Just imagine if Buddy could mark the ball like Joey.

6 Likes

Good job passing judgement on someone you don’t know other than through the honest media.

wtf?

Fake news

You’re not doing it justice, CJ.

He didn’t get it mixed up, he got it completely wrong. The thread was titled “The Original No 32” and the posters name was Mal Pascoe. His opening post was telling us all about his namesake and the great memories he provided for family and fans alike. It was great stuff until someone (Noonan?) pointed out he wore 34 and not 32. We then got to see all the different stages of grief in about three posts from poor old Pascoe. I think at one point he accused his family of having lied to him for several decades. It was like watching Ralph Wiggum’s heart breaking when Lisa tells him she only gave him a valentines card because she felt sorry for him.

Probably in the top three for most brilliant and hilarious threads Blitz has ever produced.

5 Likes

I think Mero and I picked it up at about the same time.

Funnily enough, a cricket clubmate of mine was a nephew of the guy who WAS wearing #32 during Pascoe’s tenure - Barry Mackie.

Poor old No32 wrote some bitter posts at that time, calling family members c**ts, and followed it with a descent into a fair bit of “eccentricity”.

I thought I’d better put a c in front of the epithet, otherwise I’d have to put up with taunts about aunts.

4 Likes

Top 3 threads on Blitz?

The Mal Pascoe debacle vies and ties for second place with Pazza’s meltdown rant.

Drafting Rick Mott is my # 1.