Training Monday 11th December

Its harder to be humble these days, Tech Schools are now called Universities or Institutes.

Training on today?

Thanks Nackers, reports and pics make it just like being there.

Its a great service you are providing to us far flung Blitzers.

4 Likes

You were lucky. We lived for three months in a paper bag in a septic tank. We used to have to get up at six in the morning, clean the paper bag, eat a crust of stale bread, go to work down t’ mill, fourteen hours a day, week-in week-out, for sixpence a week, and when we got home our Dad would thrash us to sleep with his belt.

“…and if you tell that to the young people today, they won’t believe you…”

Now back to training.

1 Like

I honestly could not think of a worse comparison in all due respect. They both play AFL is the only one for mine

7 Likes

BS, Both Utilities, Both natural footballers, Both will never be the fittest bloke on the park.

Major difference right now is Hodge had/has the application, It remains to be seen with Francis.

1 Like

Hodge played a lot of midfield over the course of his career. A lot more than Francis ever likely to.
There is about 9cm difference in height.
Hodge was a bit unfit early but it wasn’t something that continued throughout his career and it wasn’t the issue early on that it has been for Francis.
I’m with wob

1 Like

Lol. They are fkn nothing alike

4 Likes

“Because”

1 Like

Nothing better than baby boomers telling all the young uns how they got hit as kids and it didn’t twitch affect twitch them twitch.

3 Likes

Hodge has remarked on his fitness issues throughout his career, He still looks gassed throughout games.

Francis played MId/Fwd/Def throughout his juniors no reason why he can’t replicate that if he gets his mindset right.

Height isn’t relevant for considering the new norm for inside mids is old CHF height.

Plenty of similarities for mine.

But FWIW who does he remind you guys of?

3 Likes

He reminds me a little of Walla.
Has a similar number of appendages.

6 Likes

I’m wondering if Stringer might be a bit of a comparison in time. Big, powerful, unit who can dominate when the ball’s in his vicinity, but so far had not had the tank to play extended periods on the ball, or the play reading in general play to take “shortcuts” around the field to make up for that tank.

Obviously he’s played more back so far, but was recruited with a view to being a true utility who could play forward, back, midfield.

Of course I’m hoping both Stringer and Francis become dominating flank/mid/utility options.

(And I can completely see where @Milanista28 is coming from re Hodge. Defensive general who goes into the middle at times. Competitive beast, tank not as good, but makes up for it. Etc etc)

2 Likes

I just read the 1st 200 odd posts in the Frang thread and he is compared to Hodge at least 4 times, So I’m not alone.

6 Likes

Fair comparison but i don;t really agree because he is much quicker than hodge but a much worse kick.
I actually think the most comparable guy is our own brendan goddard, or that’s the type of player the club was hoping for when they drafted him. Again though goddard is an elite kick but body wise they are the similar and both suppose to be utilities.

Knightmare on BF always referred to him as a less consistent Goddard.

2 Likes

Look there aren’t many comparisons that are water tight, People compare Buddy and Joey a lot these days that can easily be called out on. Same as Zachy and Sam Mitchell.

Jack Watts for my money.

1 Like

I agree with you. Pre-draft I remember thinking he really reminded me a lot of Hodge, ferocious, great interceptor at half back and the ability to play anywhere on the ground (during his junior career playing midfield, forward and defence all to a very high standard). He just hasn’t translated into any AFL level quality at this stage but I hope in time the Hodge comparison rings true once again.

3 Likes

Jobe reminded me a little bit of that guy who wore 32 for us during the 80s.

11 Likes