Training Monday 11th December

Mal Pascoe?

5 Likes

The only people who compare Joe and Buddy are idiots.

1 Like

You don’t think there are any similarities?

maybe height and weight… they’re completely different players though.

How’s Devon Smith travelling?

I agree to the Luke Hodge comparison but only for the ideal position we can play him.

Backline/doesn’t play on key position/clean up the backline a bit/take courages marks (like that VFL game saving one)

Long way to go to be compared to Hodge.

Larsargna!

1 Like

Tall and slender forwards, quick, booming left foot kicks, i can see the similarities but joe is obviously better in the air and buddy has better body strength.
The Joe comparison for mine is hipwood from the lions, i see that bloke as almost like a clone, even the nerdy looks.

Pre-draft, he reminded me of our very own Hurley.

1 Like

With all due fark Carlton aside, Francis reminds me of Lance Whitnal

5 Likes

A good outcome would be similar version of Hurley. I think Francis will be stronger in the air but not as good at ground level.

Having both Francis and Hurley patrolling the back 50 should be the goal of 2018.

2 Likes

When I grew up as baby boomer, there were no traffic jams anywhere in Melbourne and there was no road rage. You could ride your bike on the road and survive it.

You could drink the tap water, the air was clean, you could walk the streets at night and most kids walked or rode a bike to school, Milk and bread were delivered to you fresh every day. The power never failed even if it did there was no loss, because we didnt have a freezer.

If you reckon it was primitive back then, think again. we had cars , man walked on the Moon in the 1960s and 727 jet aircraft flew back and forth to Sydney every day, much as they do today.

Times were so tough. Life was very good in the 50s and 60s.

However, my grade 6 teacher hit us with a razor strop he called the Doctor. If you got your arithmetic wrong , he put you in the corner and called you the dunce.

9 Likes

If you weren’t female, non-white or gay that is

6 Likes

I like the Hodge comparison.

Hodge didn’t do anything of note in the AFL till about his 4th season. He was given games though, which is also what I think we should be doing with Francis. Pump at least 15 games into him this year.

Is he really that thick?
(An ex-teacher of Whitehall told me a sixteen year old Lance couldn’t even spell his own name.)

1 Like

The ‘Hodge was a slow starter’ line is a massively overstated. Sure, he was a slow starter compared to Judd.

In his first three seasons he averaged around 15 games a year, picking up totally acceptable numbers. In 2005, his fourth season, he just about should have won the Brownlow racking up yuge numbers (almost 28 disposals per game, PAV rates him the most dominant player of the season ahead of Ben Cousins).

Francis has managed 5 games and looked good for about a quarter against Brisbane.

2 Likes

Yeah Hurley is the one that came to mind for me too. Similar build, both good movers for their height (although I wouldn’t be playing them in the midfield despite blitz suggesting it for both a various points), both not as fit as they could be when drafted (Hurley got fit much quicker than Francis though).

I’m still not sure if Francis can play as the true-KPD Hurley or whether he is just going to be more like the recent zone off Hurley. I think he’d be more comfortable as the latter, which is why the third tall position seems his natural fit to me.

And while I’m here, for the record I’ve always thought that Zerrett-Mitchell comparison was way off.

1 Like

We should be pushing for top4. Only pump games into him if he’s good enough to earn a spot

3 Likes

Yeah, I was thinking the latest version of Hurley.

Two of them cutting off attacks and launching 50 mtr kicks into attack will be hard to combat.

He needs to be able to just beat his direct opponent first and foremost which if not fit enough to do so means will be a liability to the team.

Dropping back as a loose taking intercept marks is a bonus to winning your position first.

At this stage he’d be run ragged by his opponent who’d be left with space to work in/ be able to create extra at other contests.

Aboriginal people were legally treated as fauna, being homosexual was a criminal act, and you were killing children with thalidomide
Ignorance is bliss I guess.

1 Like