Training Monday 13/1/14

Training in hot still conditions at Tullamarine

Today wasn’t windy like the previous session so the skill standard was greatly improved.

Jetta and Hooker did laps. The new recruits with the exception of Chapman were rested today and O’Brien was back in training.

Hugh Goddard a 17 year old from the A.I.S. Trained today. I’m told he is six foot five and a half and he moved very well out marking Steinberg on a couple of occasions. One to watch I think.

While on the subject of Steinberg it was interesting to see him play forward today and he went very well kicking at least four goals in match simulation. Two of these came when Hardingham also playing forward marked. The first time he kicked long and Steinberg goaled from the back of the pack and the second time he hand balled it to him for another goal. Dell, Steinberg andHardingham are all showing some good forward line pressure and are all in the mix. Hardingham looks the fittest I have seen him his disposal which was good today being the main area he needs to refine.

Tactics

In the forward line they are working on breaking up the opposition’s zone defence trying to drag players out to create space to run into. I think the plan is not just to stand in space but to stand close to the defenders but sufficiently wide of them to put doubt in the defender’s mind about whether hit is safe to kick to him. By standing close to defenders there is room to run off into space on one side creating holes in the zone.

A criticism in the past has been that we are too slow to set up after a point in the backplane to move the ball out quickly. Emphasis is being placed on players starting the right position so they can run to the right positions to move the ball quickly out of defence.

This also requires a balance between handball and kicking and at one stage one of the coaches pointed out that they had had 45 kicks and only two handballs. Among other things this indicates to me that players are not running enough from behind to receive the handball and break up the play with some running. This is what skills sessions are for to iron out these problems and the coaches seem to be working very effectively.

I have been wondering how Egan would perform as defensive coach so it pleases me to describe a drill I haven’t seen before which he conducted that was very effective: two players stand in a goal square sized box in the forward line delineated by cones. A player on the wing kicks the ball to one of the two running up the ground towards him about forty metres. The excellent part of this drill consists of the second player, blocking, shepherding and harassing him “legally” all the way back to the box. This is repeated for three repetitions without pause by which time both players are gasping.

Watson was doing some coaching from the sidelines at one stage today and is really trying to motivate Ryder with a mixture of praise and instructions such as “you’re a half forward what are you doing?” when he felt Paddy should have run further up the ground.

Hurley and Joe

These two were given specific one on one training today which was fascinating to watch. They stood together pretty much on the goal square and high balls were kicked in for them to contest while the coaches monitored their body work which went a bit like this:

Hurley probably shaded Joe but they both had victories. A couple of times Hurley put his arms around Joe in the jostle which were arguably frees and a couple of times it was pleasing to see Joe win front position to mark. However one a number of occasions the situation was reversed and Joe was out marked including an excellent one hander by Hurley as he held Joe out with his body and marked waist high with his left arm. I also noted that Hurley’s marks included several overhead. On when occasion when Hurley bumped Joe out of the way as the ball came in there were cries for a free but he settled the argument by saying “that was textbook.” Both players are learning their positions and it will always be interesting when they play on each other.

All in all a good session.

I must add that I had a chat with Rex Doran, brother of sixties full back Paul Doran. He told me that in the sixties after training players such as Geoff Leek the giant ruck man led the players in some choir singing conducted by the Phantom. Don’t see it happening today although the Phantom was at training.

Great, insightful write up as always Jackie, thankyou.

I remember Paul Doran, part of the fullback line of Shaw, Doran, McKenzie. He played in the 1962 premiership, I think, but had gone by 1965. No doubt he was a lovely bloke, but he looked pretty mean. I think he originally came to the club as a full forward but did the classic switch from one end of the ground to the other and held down full back very well.

Another great report, Jackie. Tiff must have something pretty important occupying her fertile mind if it’s kept her away from the sessions for this long.

Who is the Phantom?

I’m a bit disappointed that there was no choir singing.

Hmmm, Steinberg again prominent in the forward line.  

Thanks again Jackie.

Just one question if you don’t mind: you mentioned Hardingham’s disposal looking good today: is that both his passing and shots at goal?

Of course last year, when he did play, he turned it over multiple times and sprayed the set shots.

I truly think he’ll be a good HF/FP if he can improve that aspect.

was drafted as a forward IIRC but was critisised for his work rate and got sent back. Going on his efforts in defence last year i think he has fixed his work rate.

It is interesting the coaches seemed to favour the 1 KPF 1 Resting Ruck and crameri structure last year and if the reports regarding hardy and steinberg are any indication they seemed at the very least interested in having a similar structure available as as option. certainly steinberg or hardy (or even ambrose) standing up to provide a viable 30 goal a year medium forward option would give the side as a whole bit more flexibility and depth.

Thanks again for a great report.

was drafted as a forward IIRC but was critisised for his work rate and got sent back. Going on his efforts in defence last year i think he has fixed his work rate.

It is interesting the coaches seemed to favour the 1 KPF 1 Resting Ruck and crameri structure last year and if the reports regarding hardy and steinberg are any indication they seemed at the very least interested in having a similar structure available as as option. certainly steinberg or hardy (or even ambrose) standing up to provide a viable 30 goal a year medium forward option would give the side as a whole bit more flexibility and depth.

Do you really think either of those players are capable of providing 30 goals? Seems a bit of a stretch to me, particularly for Steinberg who hasn't played a single senior game. I agree with the sentiment that the coaches might be looking for a medium to fill the Crameri void. However despite everyone wanting to lay the boots into Crameri since his defection, he was still a very capable forward. I'd be very surprised if either of those players were able to match Crameri's output.

Everyone has been pointing out recently we haven't had a 40+ goal/year forward since Lloyd. The occurrences of 30+ are almost as rare. I just don't see that coming from Hardingham (who as far as I know has only played a single really good game up forward) or Steinberg. 

Do you really think either of those players are capable of providing 30 goals? Seems a bit of a stretch to me, particularly for Steinberg who hasn't played a single senior game. I agree with the sentiment that the coaches might be looking for a medium to fill the Crameri void. However despite everyone wanting to lay the boots into Crameri since his defection, he was still a very capable forward. I'd be very surprised if either of those players were able to match Crameri's output.

Everyone has been pointing out recently we haven't had a 40+ goal/year forward since Lloyd. The occurrences of 30+ are almost as rare. I just don't see that coming from Hardingham (who as far as I know has only played a single really good game up forward) or Steinberg. 

big ask no doubt but no one here thought crameri could kick 30 a year until he did.

Great report Jackie, I'm really liking your analysis. I get the feeling you may have played at a decent level. Either that, or you've got a gift for insight.

On the Steinberg / Hardingham / Ambrose (the strong medium forward option, alongside 3 crumb-ers and two bigs) option kicking 30+ a year. I'd be happy if they do that between them, and be delirious if it was 50+ between them. Getting Steinberg and Ambrose blooded in the games where Hardy gets dropped for his poor disposal seems a great strategy.

I think the other under-estimated avenue to goal will come from Zaka, Jobe and other resting mid fielders.

big ask no doubt but no one hear thought crameri could kick 30 a year until he did.

Good point, didn't think of that. 

I’m impressed Joe could even engage in a wrestle with Hurley, let alone beat him a few times.

He might be closer than some of us think.

I'm impressed Joe could even engage in a wrestle with Hurley, let alone beat him a few times.
He might be closer than some of us think.

Daniher is stronger and fitter than last year.  He should lead as much as possible rather than wrestle and by the same token Hurley should avoid playing him from behind because of the height difference.  his advantage would be to hip him out of the contest.

Just one question if you don't mind: you mentioned Hardingham's disposal looking good today: is that both his passing and shots at goal?
Of course last year, when he did play, he turned it over multiple times and sprayed the set shots.
I truly think he'll be a good HF/FP if he can improve that aspect.

Yes both.

Last Friday he did a complete shocker off the side of his boot today he didn't.  Hardinham's disposal is not dreadful is just a question of degree - if it could improve 10% this year it would help.

Hardingham looks in the best condition I have seen him, fit and strong and his great leap to mark or punch is  a real weapon plus he is an experienced player now and can arguably be used both ends of the ground. I would expect him to gert some games this year.

Thanks so much Jackie, terrific reports!

You must be in line for blitzer of the year.

Any chance Jackie gets "Forum legend" under her his Username?

Just one question if you don't mind: you mentioned Hardingham's disposal looking good today: is that both his passing and shots at goal?
I truly think he'll be a good HF/FP if he can improve that aspect.

Yes both.
Last Friday he did a complete shocker off the side of his boot today he didn't. Hardinham's disposal is not dreadful is just a question of degree - if it could improve 10% this year it would help.
Hardingham looks in the best condition I have seen him, fit and strong and his great leap to mark or punch is a real weapon plus he is an experienced player now and can arguably be used both ends of the ground. I would expect him to gert some games this year.
Awesome. Thanks for that.
Totally agree about that the extra 10%. Hope it happens.

Think that would be a he, on both counts.

There are so many positives to Hardingham playing forward. He is pretty quick and defensively minded, so you’d reckon defensive pressure would be a bonus. And his aerial skills are such that he is impossible to match up on…

It’s just that my grandma kicks better on her non preferred foot than he does on his preferred foot.

And my grandma is no longer with us.