Training Monday 13/1/14

Hugh Goddard is BJ’s nephew isn’t he?

Meant to be a pretty highly rated forward in this years draft isn’t he?

Maybe getting a look at him due to the BJ connection and contemplating him with pick 18 in the upcoming draft since we are a bit light on key forwards now?

Hugh Goddard is BJ's nephew isn't he?
Meant to be a pretty highly rated forward in this years draft isn't he?
Maybe getting a look at him due to the BJ connection and contemplating him with pick 18 in the upcoming draft since we are a bit light on key forwards now?

Has really dodgy knee's the poor prick. Will be lucky to play by the time he's 20

Hugh Goddard is BJ's nephew isn't he?
Meant to be a pretty highly rated forward in this years draft isn't he?

Has really dodgy knee's the poor prick. Will be lucky to play by the time he's 20

Poor bugger, that is disappointing to hear.

Great report JM and Im pleased to hear that Steinberg has backed up his efforts from training on Friday with another solid session.

I have watched enough of him at VFL level to think he can step up to the next level and become a very important player for our forward structure. Steiny now has the extra few years of development learning his craft at both ends of the ground. 

Jm can I ask how Carlisle, Hooker and Gregory went in the Egan drill you explained? 

Im a big fan of Gregory from what i saw in the VFL and a few glimpses on Friday* 

Another outstanding report Jackie, cheers. I'm rapt that we're working hard to improve our goalkicking options, even if I'm not sold on a few of the positional decisions that seem to have already been made.

I know that not all of them trained today, but I was wondering if you've noticed where Edwards and Ashby have been playing so far? IIRC, Ashby started off a HBF in the VFL last year but eventually spent more time up forward in the latter part of the season. Cheers again.

Jm can I ask how Carlisle, Hooker and Gregory went in the Egan drill you explained? 

Im a big fan of Gregory from what i saw in the VFL and a few glimpses on Friday* 

They weren't in this drill while I was watching - I think it was mainly for mid sized runners but I didn't watch all of it.

Gregory has come on a bit but today he was beaten a few times in one on ones and a bit slow in his decision making on one occasion when moving the ball out of the backline but a definite work in progress and he will really benefit from a full VFL year.

I know that not all of them trained today, but I was wondering if you've noticed where Edwards and Ashby have been playing so far? IIRC, Ashby started off a HBF in the VFL last year but eventually spent more time up forward in the latter part of the season. Cheers again.

I haven't particularly noticed where Edwards has been playing - not key position but running between the two half lines I think.  Taller than Crameri and good disposal.

Ashby has been playing half back a bit with run through the midfield to open up play on occasions- I think I described this a little bit in a previous report.

The fact is that much of the skills training we see involves endless running up the ground then getting back to cover so its often hard to ascribe positions to players in the old style.

Whats the expectations on Aylett and Edwards do people considering they are the same draft class as Kav, and OBrian. Given they are new to our system?

Photos from today's training, hopefully adding to JM's lucid report!

........and more!

Tall timber on tall timber!! (a guest newbie)

...and the kid can mark on a fast lead - just ask Fletch!!

Whats the expectations on Aylett and Edwards do people considering they are the same draft class as Kav, and OBrian. Given they are new to our system?

Absolutely no expectations from me. Edwards I rate very very highly but I would be happy if he spent most of the year in the VFL learning our game plan and starting to dominate.
Aylett I do not know enough about

...........and these!

Thanks for the training report, brilliant as always saladin!

On a serious note, thanks Jackie. Good to see my boys Stein and Dell looking OK. How did Dell go specifically? Was he working on crumbing or goalkicking etc?

....and FINALLY, these in what was a fairly intensive two hour session!

....and that's all folks :)

CHECK OUT THAT LEAP ON DANIHER, HOLY COW BATMAN!

On a serious note, thanks Jackie. Good to see my boys Stein and Dell looking OK. How did Dell go specifically? Was he working on crumbing or goalkicking etc?

Dell is going very well - his role is as a small crumbing, goal kicking forward so this is what he is working on but he is stronger and fitter so the defensive side of his game has improved since he first came to the club.  He is also not shy about having an input to the other forwards which shows that he doesn't lack confidence.

He is a bit backy peeto

Top stuff karmabomber, cheers.
And jackie… I am absolutely delighted with the depth, breadth and regularity of these reports. And they’re all well-written and get the benefit of your obvious experience as a footy observer’n’talker: you see things the vast majority of us wouldn’t. The little bits of overheard coaching and on-field talk are all gold - fans rarely get that sort of thing - and the continuity of certain themes across reports helps make the pre-season meaningful/accessible, i.e. I can’t wait to see how the tactics and training principles are reflected in actual matches.
I feel as if I should be paying for this service. You’d never have to pay for a beer at a Blitz event, anyway. Thanks very very much, Mr Mihocek.

...aaaaaaaaaand I'm spent.