Training Monday 13/2/2017

Headed along to training for approx 1 hour this morning. Windy conditions again, so skills we slightly affected by the conditions.

Boys looked very much up and about as matches are starting this week.

Absent - Redman

Modified Group - Belly, Hooker. Francis, Draper and Stanton

Belly continues to increase workload with straight line running.
Hooker a bit the same, slowly running laps around oval 2 with a few same agility drill thrown in.
Stanton - a few agility drills and then inside (load management I’d say)
Francis - great news, no moon boot! He was on the 2nd oval doing some slow pace run throughs. Shouldn’t be far away from being back in training.
Draper - some agility and kicking drills, very slow build up

Boys warmed up with some light kicking and keepings off handball drills.

Eventually got into some structured match pay with the emphasis on breaking out of stoppages, quick ball movement and keeping the ball off the opposition. Boys seem more critical on themselves compared to the start of Jan, a lot swearing at themselves if they missed a target etc. This is what I mean by them being up and about and knowing matches are about to start.

The black team was again loaded with the experienced guys and they were predominately the better team.

Hurley, Hartley and Daniher completed the full session.

Stewart played on Ridley and took some nice marks (he def is better if his not playing on the best defender eg Hurley, therefore suited to a 3rd tall fwd)

Hartely played on Joe, with Joe taking the chocolates.

Brown played fwd matched up on Ambrose - broke even.

Smack and Burger against each other in the ruck.

Happy to answer questions on players but generally if I haven’t mentioned them they are tracking as they have been all pre-season.

Thanks heaps All Star. Great to hear that Hurley, Hartley and Daniher all completed the full session.
How was Andy McG? Speculation in the paper today that he’d get a run on Thursday.

Cale’s absence from main training obviously the big concern. Otherwise it sounds as if all is pretty much going to plan.

McGrath played in the black team, lined up in the back pocket on green and fanta when down there. He plays tight on his man, does the defensive stuff well. When he gets the ball he usually fires off a quick handball or kick. He does not to hold onto the ball for long or go for dashing runs. This is prob why he doesn’t stand out. He rarely makes a mistake with his disposal, hopefully when he feels more confident he starts showing more dash off HBF.

Much appreciated this report. JoeDan’s full training session has sent the panic dollars market into a real tail spin this morning.

Are panic dollars, listed on the stock exchange yet? If not, why not? l want to buy.

Which of the draftees do you think are likely to play a practice game against the pies?
McGrath has had whispers that he will be selected.

What's the exchange rate for Collingwood Panic Dollars?
Good now, until the Wobbles play a game, then I expect the rate will drop quicker than the greek drachma under Euro austerity measures.

■■■■■■ Vlad has that market sewn up. The exchange rate is measured in false teeth.

Was Daniher kicking fine on his left at goal?

Great to hear about Hurley and Hartley.

was Cale training under an oxygen tent which he believes gives him sexual powers?

McGrath played in the black team, lined up in the back pocket on green and fanta when down there. He plays tight on his man, does the defensive stuff well. When he gets the ball he usually fires off a quick handball or kick. He does not to hold onto the ball for long or go for dashing runs. This is prob why he doesn't stand out. He rarely makes a mistake with his disposal, hopefully when he feels more confident he starts showing more dash off HBF.

Based on the above, he should get a spot in the squad to play on Thursday.

Someone said McClure said on radio that McG will debut thursday

McGrath played in the black team, lined up in the back pocket on green and fanta when down there. He plays tight on his man, does the defensive stuff well. When he gets the ball he usually fires off a quick handball or kick. He does not to hold onto the ball for long or go for dashing runs. This is prob why he doesn't stand out. He rarely makes a mistake with his disposal, hopefully when he feels more confident he starts showing more dash off HBF.

Noticed Mark Harvey say they are teaching McGrath the defensive side of his game initially so it explains why he is maybe not playing his traditional running style game. All good development.

I’m curious to know what people think about consistently training in windy conditions. We probably have the windiest training facility in the league. I worry it’s hard to perfect skills and practice set plays and potentially creates bad habits. Is Waverley windy these days? If so, I’ll stop worrying because Hawthorn have had the best skills for years.

I'm curious to know what people think about consistently training in windy conditions. We probably have the windiest training facility in the league. I worry it's hard to perfect skills and practice set plays and potentially creates bad habits. Is Waverley windy these days? If so, I'll stop worrying because Hawthorn have had the best skills for years.

If anything, it would teach them to not kick floaters. But do keep in mind they have a big shed that they can run drills in as well.

I'm curious to know what people think about consistently training in windy conditions. We probably have the windiest training facility in the league. I worry it's hard to perfect skills and practice set plays and potentially creates bad habits. Is Waverley windy these days? If so, I'll stop worrying because Hawthorn have had the best skills for years.

I agree. I kinda have the same concern. I’ve gone down there a couple of times for a kick with mates and it is so swirly it is an enormous challenge.

I remember raising it with Dodoro one time at training and he was of the opinion if they can nail their skills in consistently blustery conditions (like at our current training base) it will be a breeze * no pun intended * for them at Etihad or even the G.

Not sure about all that but yeah it is frustrating.

How did McKenna train in regards to the contested and defensive stuff?

And Morgan? What’s your opinion on these 2 getting games this year? We’re desperate for someone to claim that running HBF spot, someone ideally quicker and more damaging than Gleeson.

Heppell looking good? Showing any signs of rust?