Training Monday 14/1/19

Another group involving Smack. He might not always take the mark but is very rarely beaten in the body on body contest

11 Likes

I thought on Friday when someone posted a sequence of pics of him preparing to kick that he looked a really hard and solid little unit. Anyone he collides with this year will know all about it — when he recovers consciousness.

Yes he now has the body to complement his other attributes, and he’s still only 20!

3 Likes

Free kick Hawthorn.

27 Likes

To be fair, they went from a simple extension of some lines to a much more complex changing of the rules that will see Hawthorn the only team not hit by multiple fifty metre penalties every game.

EDIT: damnit @Fairybread. I guess great minds think alike.

1 Like

Is Stewart making any impact at training? I was hoping he might have regained some confidence and form.

You get the feeling that Parish just might be an annoying little prick, don’t you Bruce? I like it.

2019: No more Mr. Nice Guys.

9 Likes

An example of some of Rutten’s work with the players. He often gives very specific demonstrations of exactly how he want something done

6 Likes

Several players need to make some changes to lift their game in this area. It will be a real plus if Rutten can teach Hartley how to scrap with power forwards without giving away frees, maybe teach Ambrose when to switch from 100% total negative man on man to going for the ball when the opportunity presents itself.

5 Likes

They both have a bit of the Dolph Lungrens about them though.

Holy smokes. Someone shout @nackers a beer asap! :slight_smile:

Another terrific report mate, I hope you know how appreciated it is around these parts.

I really think that Shiel will be a wonderful model for someone like McGrath. Similar size and both like to take the game with a shimmy and burst of pace. Both are also really clean and creative with their handballs around the contest.

Pleasing to hear a more positive report on how Joe is tracking as well.

Out of interest, who do you think looks more likely to return to senior selection first: Gleeson or Redman?

Cheers again!

2 Likes

Absolutely. His biggest weakness always used to be his strength in the contest which is where he had made significant improvement in the last couple of years in both body shape and technique.

His problem lies in that he is probably competing for the same position as Smack, and Smack in my opinion has improved even more and is also a better option as back up ruck

16 Likes

Smack said when he was drafted that he’d spent a lot of time training with Podsiadly when they were both at Adelaide, particularly on body work.

2 Likes

Yes I agree, I think McGrath has a lot of similarities with Shiel in the way they move, Shiel is probably a better kick at this stage and McGrath a better handballer.

I’m not sure if I mentioned Redman, but he was mainly on the bike again today.

Gleeson definitely seems in front at the moment, but Redman has been doing a lot of non load bearing work, he may well come back quickly again when cleared to train

3 Likes

Thanks mate. :+1:t2:

Just as well you didn’t say Gumbleton Mark 3.

McGrath is a gun, even at this early stage of his career.

The one I feel may take a huge step is Guelfi. In the few senior games he’s played, he’s shown he has the footy smarts. And with his body development and never give up attitude, could he be the player Laverde promised to be?

Having said that, I’m not giving up on Laverde just yet. I still think he could be a really good player for us. Hopefully with an injury free season his output will be more consistent and productive.

2 Likes

What is that Batman thing in the background and why does it have a target on its testicles? Is that meant to be Sam Mitchell?

8 Likes

I thought Vickery had gone to our training.

1 Like