Training Monday 14/1/19

Sweet, I believe in the same

Can someone please define ā€œ(genuine) A Grade Midā€.
Is that the same as ā€œEliteā€
How many ā€œA grade midsā€ are there in the competition?

In a recent article on the AFL site, it was argued that Collingwood had the best midfield, but that none of their mids were ā€œEliteā€ , they were all ā€œabove averageā€. Pendlebury has apparently now dropped out of the elite category.

I think the AFL define it by being in the top X% of certain stats.

Clearly if Pendlebury has fallen out then their definition isnā€™t without flaws.

As we know stats based assessment of players misses many vital but difficult to quantify criteria.

So, those claiming we have 4-5 A Grade mids can have that opinion, but I would suggest its not supported by the AFL, Footywire or CD ā€œstatsā€

1 Like

Iā€™d say any player that would attract a 1mil per season offer on the open market might be a better gauge. Obviously excluding offers from North and St Kilda.

2 Likes

For me, the elite players are those that can dominate a game, and simply cannot be stopped regardless of what the opposition does to try and curtail their influence (not us of course because we donā€™t do that).

So not the guys that flash in and win a game with a few kicks. And not the guy getting 40 touches but nobody cares because itā€™s only 50/50 whether he gets it to one of his team-mates. And not the spare man in defense taking 30 intercept marks.

To my mind we have 2 players that may be considered in that bracket, but both were nowhere near it last year due to injury. That is Daniher, and Fantasia.

Yep. A recruiter i know has said previously that hes always had talent but hes just never put it all together. Last year he showed ye was finally puttong it together with the consecutive very well played games

2 Likes

They use champion data. And that data is pus

1 Like

Elite elite.

2 Likes

Is there training today?

For mine what you are describing is match winners. I agree we only have 2.

But elite should be by position and I believe we have at least 5 of them.

1 Like

You can get away with grabbing another players guernsey so long as you arenā€™t wearing a black one with red sash yourself !!
I always wondered whether the fact that our black guernsey = less free kicks paid to us as it wasnā€™t as easy to spot by the maggots
IIRC Richmond away strip in the 2017 GF made any grabbing of the jumper by Crows stick out like dogs bollocks

I wouldnā€™t classify Smith as an A grade mid. Yes he tackles well, uses the ball pretty well. But he doesnt get enough of the ball to be a true mid.

Like someone said, an A grade mid should be someone who has the ability to be selected in the AA side as a starting mid.

I canā€™t see Devon Smith ever being selected as a starting mid in the AA team.

I hope to be proven wrong.

2 Likes

We need an A grade team, the rest is gravy.

Zerrett, Hep & Shiel have made AA side as mids so they are our A graderā€™s

Parish, Langford and Mcgrath we hope can get there one day.

Smith made AA squad as a fwd/mid & should have been selected as his numbers shat all over Edwards

3 Likes

Imo our a grade talent is Heppell, Hurley and Zerrett.
JoeDan and Raz can be but you need to stay fit to be a grade.
Shiel should be (and prob will be) but I want to see him play in our team first.
Smith is a level below but is a gun
Zaka is a solid b

Was never going to get in with that sh*t for brains selection committee. im sure Bartlett chucked a tantrum that not enough Richmond players were in the team

1 Like

If the first game of footy you ever watched was a game when Smack played at his best you would be forgiven for thinking that this man is the Lebron of footy.

No player has a bigger gap from his best to worst than Smack, Similarly not many teams have a bigger gap than us from our best to worst also.

5 Likes

Port: ā€œhold my beerā€

9 Likes

Wanganeen won a brownlow in his 3rd at age 19/20.

Guess weā€™ll see, I like @nackers enthusiasm.