Training Monday 14/11/16

Training at Tullamarine in overcast conditions with a strong south west wind.

The players wore black outfits today with many sporting white baseball caps Leyton Hewitt style. Not a particularly good look and my thoughts travelled back to a practice match at Princess Park some years ago where Sheeds berated Ryder for wearing a baseball cap and made him remove it. Times change I guess.

The big news today is that Xavier Richards and Ben McNeice trained wearing 16 and 14 respectively. It doesn’t mean they are on the list but it is certainly a pointer to the club’s thinking. McNeice trained well and looked like a sturdier version of Ben Howlett and Richards turned in a steady performance also.

The bad news is that LaVerde didn’t train today and simply walked a couple of very, very slow laps then went off. He is not limping but is holding himself very stiffly; my guess is a groin injury or a back but I don’t really know. Still it’s a long time until the start of the season so hopefully he will recover ok. Once again McKernan ran laps and looks not far away from joining main training.

I had the company of Jefferson and Mornington Bombers today as we watched a solid two hour session. The players were buoyant and focussed especially with giving each other feedback and encouragement as happened with Walla and Morgan who ran well in the 200 repetitions. Morgan was quite impressive today and seems more fully engaged than last year. As with the previous session Francis battled manfully with the running and will improve his endurance as a result of his efforts. His marking was much better today too as he rotated with Stewart in the forward line.

Watson looks very fit and kicked a couple of goals at the airport end - I suspect we might see a bit more of him in the forward line this year. One passage of play that would gladden the hearts of Blitzers was Merret to Francis (mark), handball to Watson, goal. On the other hand Stanton spent a good deal of time at half back which may be the shape of things to come.

A good workmanlike (work personlike?) session as the club builds towards the return of full training in the twilight of October 22.

Lid off!

Thanks Jackie.

When we talk about that brigade of older underpaced midfielders (Watson, Stanton, Goddard, Hocking, Myers, Bird etc) I think it is important that they are able to be versatile and play a role outside of pure midfielder.

Goddard is capable of this as we know, we have seen a little bit of Watson up forward but I suspect we’ll see a bit more this year. Stanton could well be given a Matty Boyd type role down back at times.

Oh and unless some of them identify as females, then workmanlike is just fine!!

Awesome mate. :slight_smile:

More goal kicking for Joe or day off?

“Didn’t Get a Full Pre-Season”: Class of 2017

1. Laverde

How does a bloke get injured running laps and doing skills sessions at training?
Just baffling.

How does a bloke get injured running laps and doing skills sessions at training? Just baffling.

Going too hard with the weights

How does a bloke get injured running laps and doing skills sessions at training? Just baffling.

It would be if that was all he did.
But unfortunately for us, he has a life as well.

Pulled it doing the dirty? Oh Lav.

“McNeice trained well and looked like a sturdier version of Ben Howlett” … !! Hard to imagine a sturdier unit than Bobcat.

Thanks for the report Jackie, I’m very excited about Alex Morgan. Where did The Langford train?

You’re telling me he tore his groin cutting shapes to Sandstorm at Billboards courtesy of Jake Brady ??

EDIT: JB has sent me the footage

What type of player is McNiece? I didnt really notice him this past season. Baguley type?

Pulled it doing the dirty? Oh Lav.

No laughing matter. This is no good for playing sport or doing more of “the dirty”.

What type of player is McNiece? I didnt really notice him this past season. Baguley type?
Smaller (smaller than HepA). Will take the small forwards. Decent kick.

Very good kick I would say.

How old is McNeice?

Presumably if we’re considering him, it will be as a rookie.

I see Richards was at training but no Green.

Looks like we won’t be getting him I would think Green is more of a need then Richards.

Small defender with an excellent kick. Often given the handball receive. Not as brutally hard at the ball/man as baguley.

A quick look at his stats for season 2016.

17 games - average of 16 disposals, 3.8 marks, 2.8 tackles per game.

Smaller (smaller than HepA). Will take the small forwards. Decent kick.

Is Aaron training at the moment or on a break? Does the fact McNiece is training and Aaron is not mean anything?

Thanks again Jackie. Sorry for the repetitive question but how did Eades train? And although you mentioned Stewart is he showing enough to suggest he can hold down a fwd spot this year?