Training Monday 16/1/17

Any insight on James Kelly’s preseason so far? Last year he played decent minutes in the midfield along with a half back role. Is he strictly a defender this year? Lock down or rebounding? I still think his experience and footy smarts are crucial.

You can view photos from today's training at @karmabomber on Instagram

can you post a direct link as I dont have Instagram myself so that would be much appreciated

instagram.com/karmabomber

Almost.

https://instagram.com/karmabomber

Not up yet? the Burger is in the first pic or are they random?

How the fk is Francis still terribly unfit?

He must of been cooked when he got to the club

He didn’t say “terribly unfit”. He said he didn’t do “terribly well”

Great to have you back Jackie. Last week we muddled through with a range of standins but you are the doyen.
I don’t think any Essendon player has ever bounced the ball 8 times in a game, but in a pre season scratch session? Who knows. Longy’s run in the 93 GF had a few, Dalgleish had a moment of glory at the MCG in a preseason game where he ran from half back and kicked a goal from about 40 out. Not sure how many bounces.
But really, Heath Shaw could beat 8 in a 30 or 40 metre run. He bounces it every 2 or 3 strides. I reckon he has a bet on winning the most running bounces in the comp.

1993 Grand Final: I can't remember, did Wanganeen pass off at some stage or did he run the entire length of the ground, hence bouncing lots?

I think he passed off three times.
May have been four.
I’m pretty sure he did in the back pocket, on the wing and then around the attacking 50.
I also find it difficult to believe that you don’t know that, so I apologise if I’m messing up your point with a straight answer.

He did still bounce lots. And run more than the length of the ground, as he went around the wing and I’m pretty sure he started in the opposite pocket.

Awwwww... Franga not quite there yet. Disappointment.

Of all the players on the list you’ve picked Stewart as the standout in the pre-season. That’s some wrap JM.

I should have clarified. I meant of the new players has anyone emerged?

McGrath will be very good, probably better than Stewart but Stewart came with little fanfare and has surprised on the upside filling a badly needed role.

Great to have you back Jackie. Last week we muddled through with a range of standins

There have been some terrific training reports in my absence and it’s great to get crossection of opinions.

Hey Jackie, any progress on Redman?

Any insight on James Kelly's preseason so far? Last year he played decent minutes in the midfield along with a half back role. Is he strictly a defender this year? Lock down or rebounding? I still think his experience and footy smarts are crucial.

I would like to know this too please, @“jackie mihocek”

hey jackie, great as always, any news on begley and langford? cheers

Hi Jackie

Did the Club publish the results of the 2 km time trial ?

So is the good news Fanta’s elusiveness and the bad news our slow backline?

McGrath playing in the same practice side?

Any insight on James Kelly's preseason so far? Last year he played decent minutes in the midfield along with a half back role. Is he strictly a defender this year? Lock down or rebounding? I still think his experience and footy smarts are crucial.

Kelly started on a wing opposed to Goddard & after stoppages would swap with Stanton back on a HBF. I would guess he will be part of the mid field rotations.
Plus Heppel & Jobe spending time in the forward line.

Morgan and Redman making any progress?

Training in hot conditions at Tullamarine.

Absent: Draper

Weren’t there reports befor e Christmas that he had dropped about 5 kegs and was putting in his best times.

If he did have a bad time trail, maybe he has a niggle or something else that does not require us to be concerned he will be the next Lance Whitnell

Weren’t there reports befor e Christmas that he had dropped about 5 kegs and was putting in his best times.

If he did have a bad time trail, maybe he has a niggle or something else that does not require us to be concerned he will be the next Lance Whitnell

He also has been unsighted a couple of days, he has come from a low base and has worked extremely hard to build his fitness. I would guess he is very tired and needs a small break before kicking into the match simulation stuff.

I also think he may need to learn to push his endurance. It could be a bit in his head.

don’t get too worried. The club has the right people studying him while he runs…

At some point you have to question whether Francis is just a poor endurance athlete. Last year he had the calf injury and that could have explained his lack of fitness in the pre season and carrying over into the season.
But it seems to be chronic. He has had a reasonable run injury wise AFAIK this off season, and still he struggles. Maybe he will never have good endurance. It happens.

Francis: the goal square forward returns to the game.