Training Monday 21/11/16

Training at Tullamarine in hot conditions with a strong north wind blowing straight down the ground.

The players performed well in the difficult conditions in a long session. Thoughts turned to Bomber taking the players through an exhausting session in the heat and urging them to “Imagine it’s the second half of the last quarter and you’ve got to find more.” Or Mathew Lloyd at a blistering session at Windy Hill urging the players “Don’t use the heat as an excuse.”

Today saw the return of the senior players getting in some training together before the twilight training session tomorrow night. I think just about everyone was present except Connor McKenna.

The general consensus among the spectators was that the players are looking pretty fit although there are some exceptions to this. Laverde graduated to some running and a little bit of kicking today before going to work on the ropes. It doesn’t look like it will be too long before he joins main training.

Joe ran laps before disappearing inside -I’m guessing he’s carrying some sort of minor injury but I don’t know. Howlett and Hocking and Myers ran laps. Bellchambers didn’t do much outside today. It could be that they are backing off the training load a bit for some of the suspended players who have been working hard. Mark Benny Howlett down as a bit of a surprise packet I don’t think I have seen him looking so trim and fit at the start of a season before. Perhaps fatherhood agrees with him - I certainly hope so.

I spent some time watching Green today. A very solid build that probably means he will be able to maintain his position over the ball in packs. Green didn’t join in main training but carried out a high stepping exercise, hands on hips, under the supervision of a trainer possibly to strengthen his calves. Following this he ran many laps presumably to strip off weight so he starts a bit behind the others as far as fitness goes.

It was interesting to see the capability of players kicking for goal into the teeth of the strong north wind. Zac Merret kept his set shot low and punched the ball through for a goal while Gleeson favoured a high kick which the wind inevitably grabbed and pushed sideways into the pocket. I thought the most brilliant goal of the day belonged to Fantasia who was contesting a high bouncing ball with his opponent. Orazio stretched up and with one hand tapped the ball in the air without taking possession then ran on to mark his tap and slot a goal leaving his opponent flat-footedly in his wake.

A lot of time today was devoted to kicking the ball, with the wind, over the head of a leading forward to mark running into goal. It was difficult with the strong wind but time and again the ball was kicked too far and with the wind behind it the ball continued to bounce forward at a rate too fast for the forward to catch it. This appears to be a skill which is performed reasonably well on a still day but needed a strong technical adjustment in today’s conditions.

A lot of work is being put into the defence, particularly the grooming of Hartley, with the coaches working hard on getting his positioning right in various situations. Baguley announced his return from injury with a strong tackle on Langford then with an assassin’s smile he helped him up. The young dog and the old dog coming together with a reminder of the pecking order in the Trump era.

The lengthy session concluded with some sprints in groups of three around the boundary line half the length of the ground. (200 metres?). I was pleasantly surprised to see new recruit Richards continually out pace Gleeson and Fantasia by lengthy margins.

Things appear to be building nicely. Please note there will be no training next week with the Community Camp taking up the week.

New recruit Richards?

Oh, and great report as always Jackie

Thanks as always Jackie.

New recruit Richards?
Does Jackie know something we dont ?

quality update Jackie

New recruit Richards?
Does Jackie know something we dont ?

Invariably!

“…Green didn’t join in main training but carried out a high stepping exercise, hands on hips, under the supervision of a trainer …”

Second report of this since he started training with us. Its not so unusual with new players I think, the club get a baseline on all aspects of athletic performance to tailor a work program for the pre-season and evaluate it later. Even so I suspect Green is a special case. I think he has arrived at the club a bit out of condition.

Justin Crowe does a good job managing the players conditioning programs imo. ( fingers crossed) the vast majority of players who did their hammies/ quads during the season did not get a proper pre-season.

Hey Jackie , make sure you bring Tiffany along tomorrow so we can all ask her for her phone number.

Thanks for the report

Not suprised McKenna didn’t train in this heat he would burn to a crisp :stuck_out_tongue:

Not suprised McKenna didn't train in this heat he would burn to a crisp :p

You mean like a… potato… crisp?

"...Green didn't join in main training but carried out a high stepping exercise, hands on hips, under the supervision of a trainer ..."

Second report of this since he started training with us. Its not so unusual with new players I think, the club get a baseline on all aspects of athletic performance to tailor a work program for the pre-season and evaluate it later. Even so I suspect Green is a special case. I think he has arrived at the club a bit out of condition.

Justin Crowe does a good job managing the players conditioning programs imo. ( fingers crossed) the vast majority of players who did their hammies/ quads during the season did not get a proper pre-season.

I would be curious to know how much of it is Green not keeping in shape over break vs Lions lack of fitness/preparation. They struggled (as a team) in terms of fitness last year… so perhaps he might be struggling in general with the step up.

I know that a couple of players leaving the bombers in 2002-2010 era were ‘surprised’ to find out how much fitness work was being done at other teams around the league, our standards had not kept pace etc

way too hot today for irish

Thanks Jackie! Top notch as usual!

Thanks Jackie.

"...Green didn't join in main training but carried out a high stepping exercise, hands on hips, under the supervision of a trainer ..."

I love his can can do attitude.

Yes that’s right … CHAMPAGNE COMEDY!!!

Thanks Jackie, after Francis last week came of sore at the end of Friday’s session was he training today?

Thanks Jackie, after Francis last week came of sore at the end of Friday's session was he training today?

Did the full session and didn’t look sore.

Thanks Jackie, after Francis last week came of sore at the end of Friday's session was he training today?

Did the full session and didn’t look sore.

Great news… cheers