Training Monday 23/1/17

Training in hot, cloudy conditions at Tullamarine with a strong wind blowing straight down the ground.

While mentioning Heppell it seems to several of us that he has picked up a bit of pace and that this was evident in the Saturday intra club. Does anyone else have this impression?

Is every thread hosting a pun contest at the moment?

Keeps the saga loonies out.

Like @Darli :stuck_out_tongue:

Enter training thread… hit like ASAP… go back and read post.

Thanks JM, you’re a star.

Training in hot, cloudy conditions at Tullamarine with a strong wind blowing straight down the ground.

Today was a short recovery and skills session with no match play.to entertain a largish crowd including many school children but as always Hepp came over and signed heaps of autographs. His pr value to the club is immense and he is much loved by the supporters.

While mentioning Heppell it seems to several of us that he has picked up a bit of pace and that this was evident in the Saturday intra club. Does anyone else have this impression?

It was very encouraging to see most of the players from the modified group participating in the full session today - Joe, Howlett, Colyer and Francis. Morgan did fast leads and goal kicking on the small oval and at the end of training Howlett and Colyer did some goal kicking practice and I saw Travis nail three in a row from set shots on the angle about forty metres out.

Joe joined in the main practice and was doing kicking which is very encouraging and even Draper was allowed to do some handballing today and looked a bit happier. Big Tommy Bellchambers did boxing sitting on a chair with a big bandage on his leg. If someone had rung a bell he may have even leapt off his stool swinging but I’m sure we all hope the worst of his injuries are behind him.

A regular recovery session, a little bit of talk around the club with the coach apparently being pleased with Green, Goddard moving with a bit of spring in his step, and injured players making some progress before the first preseason game.

JM I watched some highlights from 2015 and as I watched Hepp stream through the middle I thought ‘i don’t remember him being so quick’.

For some reason because of his inside ability we think of him as slowish but perhaps he never actually was.

Joe on track is awesome news.

l am keen to hear as much as possible about Francis. He is coming from a long way back, but has much to prove. A young man in a hurry. Could well be an ace in the hole.

Hooker?

Any sign of Hooker? Or are the hammy rumours definitely true…

Thanks again for the report Jackie.

Lid off on Green.

Enjoyed a very pleasant morning with Bomberbelle also observing the 1 hour session as described by JM. Really interesting to watch the 10xpushups completed by players after a stuff up. Begley is a serious unit indeed with a low powerful technique. Others were a bit shallow on the push-ups and Joe; well I reckon he can’t count!

Noticed Colyer and Benny having a conversation about boomerang shots for goal at the end of training. Colyer was certainly more accurate although Bobcat looked keen to try and perfect left foot snaps.

Watched Bellchambers sitting on the wing boxing with some intensity. Anyway, he is absolutely massive. If muscle definition is anything to go by, once the clean-up has healed, he’ll be ready for a great season.

There was a drill at the wind-assisted end which show-cased kicking across breeze, up to the flank and then back toward the goal for a shot. There were 4 groups at each corner of a square passing in turn. Under instruction the players would have to kick off preferred and then non-preferred feet. Very interesting. No-one was as smooth as Tippa. He is poetry in motion. His left foot kicks were as low and as penetrating as any other players preferred kick. Conor and Raz were very good, as too was Colyer. Some will need to lift their skills in this area but all in all, it seemed to be completed to a very good standard. The initial instruction was high quality but low intensity; understandable given the match practice of Saturday. As JM has noted, Joe was involved in this drill and kicked both feet, although perhaps more so on the right. He was moving very well indeed.

Didn’t see Zerrett, but a fair bit of time was absorbed familiarising ourselves with Mutch, Begley, McGrath and others.

Bobcat was also there at the end signing autographs until the stewards called he and Heppell in for a team meeting.

A good time!

which leg was Joe kicking with?

Both, comfortably

JM I watched some highlights from 2015 and as I watched Hepp stream through the middle I thought 'i don't remember him being so quick'.

For some reason because of his inside ability we think of him as slowish but perhaps he never actually was.

Joe on track is awesome news.

Worked with a sprinting coach throughout 2016. He was never super slow, and never had pace worry him. But with an extra bit of pace, it can only be a good thing.

How did lav?

From my understanding heppell has been working with someone to improve his running technique, a bit like hooker when he improved his.

Both, comfortably

at the same time?

Lid off on Green.

C’mon man. It’s the middle of summer. Have you seen his complexion?? Put that lid back on!

I am full fkn lid off mode about green, I’m gonna dance down the aisles when he kicks his 4th halfway through the last in round one