Training Monday 23/11/15

Training in cool, overcast conditions at Tullamarine.

So begins another season. The Roundheads have usurped the Cavaliers and King John replaces King James who is possibly in France where a new revolution is possibly beginning in Paris. The Solar Centre sits brooding on the basalt plains of Tullamarine like a modern Stonehenge and I am here once again to watch the rituals being performed on the lush McCracken Oval. Meanwhile in Sydney three men in cheap suits are making a show of reexamining the ASADA evidence in camera knowing that their decision cannot be further appealed. One of them is Swiss -enough said after all it was John Cleese who said “Everyone hates the Swiss.”

The question we want answered is will Worsfold be a more successful coach than his predecessor and if so how will his training methods and game plan differ from 2015?

We’ll these questions weren’t answered today in their totality as although the senior players were present apart from Goddard and Heppell who are annoying the Irish it was mainly a light session for the second to fourth year players.

Let me start by saying to avoid thousands of pointless posts Dempsey is definitely not fat - in fact he has returned in his best condition for years. Well done Courtney.

Joe Daniher is much bigger - particularly in the upper body. Skipworth appears to be the new forward coach but unfortunately Joe was slicing them badly today in goal kicking practice but let’s cut him some slack it’s early days and he otherwise trained very well.

Nick Kommer did the most work he has done for about two years. He joined in early training and the ran laps along with Colyer at a reasonable pace. Zac Merrett and Ashby led the pack in some of the half oval sprints.

One drill of interest involved moving back off the mark and kicking a short pass forward within two seconds avoiding the ball being smothered by the man on the mark. this was a good pressure drill and taught players to be decisive. The main fault was that a number of players kicked their passes too high.

It was a light session so I won’t comment further but the atmosphere today was business like as we take the first steps on the path to glory.

Who did we draft?

Excellent work JM. Looking forward to many more information reports over the summer.
Hopefully Tiff attends a few sessions :slight_smile:

Thanks Jackie.
Good to hear about Joey. Challenge for him is maintaining that weight when the training intensity lifts.

Thanks for the report, JM. Two things. One, you can bet that the three men in Sydney will not be wearing cheap suits; in fact it’s highly likely that each of them is wearing a suit worth quite a few multiples of the average weekly wage.

Two. Not enough Tiffany.

today was business like as we take the first steps on the path to glory.
Ah, pre-season.

Thanks JM… Dempsey back to the HBF.

Thanks Jackie, high spot of the week commences again.

today was business like as we take the first steps on the path to glory.
Ah, pre-season.

Top 4 in 2016?

Top 2.

... The question we want answered is will Worsfold be a more successful coach than his predecessor and if so how will his training methods and game plan differ from 2015? ... One drill of interest involved moving back off the mark and kicking a short pass forward within two seconds avoiding the ball being smothered by the man on the mark. this was a good pressure drill and taught players to be decisive. The main fault was that a number of players kicked their passes too high. ...

Well that’s enough of an improvement for me right there.

Ah…the universe is back in balance! Jackie reporting on training…the 2016 season is our oyster…I feel complete again after a long dark period (it seems). Thank you Jackie for making my week.

Sounds promising. I have faith in John.

Has Kommer still got his Dreads?

Thanks JM.

How did bin look? Lid on or off?

Has Kommer still got his Dreads?

“next slide”

"next slide"

I don’t trust anyone that uses PowerPoint.

"next slide"

I see what you mean Rolo.

Hopefully Tiff attends a few sessions :)

Tiff’s just out buying some sassy new outfits for summer and wonders what you would like her to wear to training Aboods.

That little black thingy that she wore in the Law Court Building for a start…

"next slide"

What do you use