Training Monday 25/1/16

Jeez, that's good to hear. If [Jake] reckons he's faster than his dad all he needs to do it build his tank, get bigger and use his natural ability to get through packs (finishing skills too of course).
Now, or then?

He didn’t say… (hopes suddenly dwindle)

So brown will be played forward?

Imagine franklin and tippett lining up against Hartley and gwilt. Yikes. We’d be one injury away from a 200 point loss

I agree. If we’re selecting Qwilt it’s our own damn fault if he doesn’t get injured and we lose by 250.

Its called “Claytons tanking” the tanking that happens when you are not tanking.

Brown forward? Leuey’s injury must be serious enough that they are now adjusting, Smack to full time ruck and Brown forward to fill his position. Not liking the sound of that.

Bah, we proved last year Smack can ruck all year on his own.

Right?

(Jamar to play, lots.)

Time flies. Its now roughly 3 weeks until the NAB challenge starts and 4 weeks until the EFC plays its first game against Carlton. These training reports are far from irrelevent.

The season is almost on us and as far as I can see we have not had an injury report from the club. But there are some key injury concerns. Leuenberger, a very important key player and players like Cooney, who are potentially extremely important are under a cloud.

looks like we will really be pushing the depth of our depth again this year.

If brown is playing forward who is taking up the key tall posts? Hartley, Gwilt, Francis??

frankly i find the idea of our most experience kpd being Gwilt quite concerning

I know it is concerning, but ironically the one area of our side that is more or less intact is the forward line, other than Hooker (who obviously can happily slot back if not required forward) and Colyer (who can spend time in the midfield). It is our forward line which desparately needs to develop so this should be a major aim and whoever can make a significant ongoing contribution to it should be played there in preparation for 2017. Even if Mitch Brown goes back in 2017, at least he will have the physical presence needed to help nurture the forward line, together with Smack and Joe looking after the smaller forwards and resting midfielders. If Hooker ends up there in 2017 at least the structure around him should be more advanced.

I wouldn’t be adverse to a Matty Knights style game plan that emphasises run and gun to get the ball to our forwards and put up with a leaky backline, given that is going to be a lot easier to fix if (that is a big if) we can get Hurley, Hibberd, Hooker back as well as developing Francis, Hartley, Gleeson, Ashby and whatever other players they want to play back. If Francis can approach Hurley’s early impact and develops a tank for 2017, and Hartley becomes a viable AFL tall defender, then we could be in a very strong position for 2017.

Hopefully we can find the ruckmen and enough midfield ball to feed the forwards, again I think in the context of 2016 the back line is our last priority. Learning how to score is much more important than winning, especially when we don’t see ourselves winning a flag this year, winning a high draft pick will be a good consolation.

Thanks Jackie. Any update on Leuenberger please?

Achilles has missed a lot of training.

It’s a terrible injury. Nowadays if you do a knee you can recover. Not if your Achilles is farked

Achilles injury is just a persistent pest. it will affect his ability to do a full preseason. It’s probably worse for a ruckman too given they need to jump at ruck contests.

Big scheme would be happy for him to play 10-12 games this year and be fully fit for 2017, given saga circumstances. Also means we need jamar. As if he doesn’t get injury right it may be a niggle all year.

Thanks Jackie.

So brown will be played forward?

Imagine franklin and tippett lining up against Hartley and gwilt. Yikes. We’d be one injury away from a 200 point loss

That comment needs an advisory warning.

Gotta play Brown down back imo.

Play Ambrose as a second tall. Yes he is slow, yes he can’t mark but that was 2014-15…he is a developing player and I like his presence of a big body too crash packs, he like to go in hard at a contest aswell.

Let’s Play 6 smalls in the forward line, and any kick into the 50 must be along the ground.

Every small will outrun the defender to the ball, win possession, and goal.

We will revolutionize the game in 2016.

Viva La bombers.

I think I’m going mad.
Saga-syndrome…

Might not be as silly as it sounds…

Dog dogs play one tall, 2 mid sized, and 3 small, worked fine for them

Let's Play 6 smalls in the forward line, and any kick into the 50 must be along the ground.

Every small will outrun the defender to the ball, win possession, and goal.

We will revolutionize the game in 2016.

Viva La bombers.

I think I’m going mad.
Saga-syndrome…

Tippa likes this post

Helps that one of them is stringer but yeah worth trying I think. Don’t think we have 2 medium forward remotely as capable as crameri and stringer. Not sure we even have one actually. Id fancy jobe spending more of his twilight there.

Helps that one of them is stringer but yeah worth trying I think. Don’t think we have 2 medium forward remotely as capable as crameri and stringer. Not sure we even have one actually. Id fancy jobe spending more of his twilight there.

Hopefully there is some twilight left for Jobe

We’re going to need 100% focus on the backline. The forwards can just decide amongst themselves what happens.

We're going to need 100% focus on the backline. The forwards can just decide amongst themselves what happens.

I agree, I reckon stack the backline, play on the fast counter and try to hang in games and be as competitive as possible