Training Monday 25/5/20 - well sort of

It hasn’t even started mate. I recommend just giving it a chance.

The worst case scenario for you is that you consider it a long preseason leading into 2021. Nothing to lose.

11 Likes

I didn’t know that you can only have two contact sessions a week. With that new information it makes total sense to have contact sessions later on in the week with our first game being a Sunday. They would be planning this to ensure we don’t have a large game between our last training session and the Swans game.

1 Like

Are all of the states allowed to now? The AFL said the same rules will apply for every state. So if West Coast aren’t allowed to train in groups of 20 yet then we won’t be either.

You’re going to change your mind when we win the flag!

Soooo… Sack Rutten?

1 Like

Stupid Wuhan Australia limits ruining everyone’s fun.

1 Like

Probably haha

1 Like

You don’t need to be doing contact in training in order for it to be worthwhile. Plenty of things you can do

There is a lot in between a contact session and playing little games, soccer etc.
We could have had a solid skills session, even if aerobically the fitness people worked them hard on Saturday. Kicking and hitting targets, goalkicking etc don’t really tax players aerobically. Use of muscles like quads for kicking possibly needs to be monitored, but it has got to be a gradual build up
And the two contact sessions a week only is rubbish. Do they think two is safe but three isn’t? They are going to be playing full games in a couple of weeks and that is deemed to be safe. How is it unsafe to have body contact at training now? What will be different in two weeks?

2 Likes

Maybe we should just let the experts run the show instead of whining about what should or shouldn’t be done when vast majority in here would have played no high level footy at all, no coaching experience/ accreditation’s or sports science degrees. Besides Nino.

For all we know Caracella who everyone was desperate to get across is keen to implement more of the fun aspects to some parts of training as that’s what Tigers did

Murphy also coming highly creditialled as far as conditioning the players who have already spoken about his training being the hardest endured. As some noted they might have been flogged in a running session on weekend (perhaps even yesterday) so it was recovery essentially today when they are all sore and just wanting to turn the legs over.

Also don’t know what other ball work/if any might have been done in the hangar.

8 Likes

Looks like Tuesday is your go to session from here on @nackers.

1 Like

Low-key report of casual training session transformed into strident critique of club culture and training standards. Game day threads must not be far away…!

14 Likes

Woosha was in charge today

This was what I kept saying in Feb last year. Then made the trek up to Spotless to see the sht show to end all sht shows, now I’m not so sure.

Some here have suggested practicing kick ins, an area where we’re woefully unimaginative and ineffective. Hurley’s kick ins (he’s gonna go long down the member’s flank, you watch, he’s gonna go long down the member’s flank, … he went long down the member’s flank) just irritate me. Where is the signalling? The set play? Every Essendon player should know exactly where that ball is going to drop before he puts boot to ball and it generally should NOT be where he’s apparently about to direct it.

I’m not sure how my response to a post I generally agreed with ended up as an angry rant. Must be Monday.

3 Likes

That kick in strategy is so predictable all it does is give the oppo a chance to get a repeat inside 50.

Can you demonstrate it in a diagram?

7 Likes

8 Likes

Ask Bomb Doe haha

3 Likes

I would think things like kick in strategy, centre bounce strategies etc would be practiced indoors

And Hurley will always go long down the line, or cheap shorty 35 metre sideways, whenever his confidence drops, regardless of what the actual strategy is. It’s his thing

5 Likes

So in the indoor space at the hanger about equivalent in size to the right half forward flank? Would explain a lot. :slight_smile:

2 Likes