Training Monday 3/3/14

Training in pleasant conditions at Tullamarine.

A security guard enforced a lockout today aimed at the press in particular. I was pleased that the club allowed me in but poor old Tiffany who is a proper reporter was kept out despite looking more like a model in a skimpy white crocheted dress and blue high heels.

The senior team trained on the McCracken Oval while the VFL players including Myers trained on the Clarke Oval. It was a long session lasting over three hours before a crowd of six unless you count the media vans parked at the fence in Melrose Drive.

Colyer didn’t appear but Dempsey took part in the main training session and kicked a characteristic long goal on the run.

The atmosphere was much sharper than the flat Friday session possibly buoyed by the resignation of Demetriou but that’s a guess on my part. Certainly the players were much more vocal and earnestly involved themselves in discussion of each passage of play.

There’s a while to go before the first match but I think Jetta has probably won the battle to be the small forward and I think Steinberg is in line to be elevated at some stage to play a key forward role.

Hurley looked sharp at full back today and I thought Pears did well also and Fletcher was his usual imperturbable self.

The main emphasis at training is the plan for moving the ball and the positioning of the players in all circumstances with the multiple coaches constantly explaining where everyone should be and the players joining in the discussions and shouting instructions on the field - especially Goddard, Stanton and Jobe. Jobe is doing a fantastic job leading the team but I think he is also finding the role somewhat frustrating at one stage berating the players with “we talked about this all last week!!” In a tone which I thought showed clear frustration. Is this affecting his form? I don’t know but his disposal was a bit up and down today so I guess we’ll find out in round one.

There were some interesting one one one marking duels towards the end of training with high balls being kicked in in quick succession to Steinberg on Fletcher and Daniher on Hooker. The instructions to the forwards in these contests was to keep moving and play the situation right out with repeat efforts.

I think today’s long workout indicates that they mean business when they play Richmond and a win here would be a good conclusion to a good preseason at the new venue.

thanks as always.

Is Kommer in full training?

How are the forward entries looking? Is there any focus at all on trying to create space and spot up leading targets, particularly on slow plays. Is the fwd line practicing any sort of cohesive leading patterns.

There were some interesting one one one marking duels towards the end of training with high balls being kicked in in quick succession to Steinberg on Fletcher and Daniher on Hooker. The instructions to the forwards in these contests was to keep moving and play the situation right out with repeat efforts.

Well if they are going to do it in games they may as well train for it.

There were some interesting one one one marking duels towards the end of training with high balls being kicked in in quick succession to Steinberg on Fletcher and Daniher on Hooker.

no_michael_bluth.gif

"Excuse me sir could I just see your AFL media accreditation? Ah yes, that's it. Seems to be in order. ■■■■ off."

Thanks for the report again, JM.

Sounds like a much better session than the last few, which your reports made seem a little lack-lustre. And I agree, it would be good to beat Richmond. We’ve had two bad losses so far.

Carlisle?

How is Hams going? Haven't heard about him all summer

Great report Jackie.

I was wondering if you'd get in with the lockout. Probably had your name on the VIP list.

Great report Jackie.

I was wondering if you'd get in with the lockout. Probably had your name on the VIP list.

man-bush-camaflouge1.jpg

Great work Jackie, good that Tiff is making an appearance too. I am sure she is good company for you.

Thanks Jackie. Always look forward to your training reports. You should have your own forum for the training reports - "The Jackie Mihocek Training Reports".

Jackie: 

nazi-bear.jpg

On a serious note, spoke to someone the other day who says that the internal feeling about the club is that they are very confident and bullish about this season and our chances. Felt good to hear it.

On a serious note, spoke to someone the other day who says that the internal feeling about the club is that they are very confident and bullish about this season and our chances. Felt good to hear it.

I keep hearing this as well, but after the NAB I just can't see it yet, either we are messing about allot in the NAB or they are expecting a much bigger jump in performance over the next few weeks.
Either way I can't ever remember a season with so much variance in potential. Our year could go from 10 players getting 2 year bans and the worst season in history, performance wise to a premiership and complete redemption by the EFC. So much uncertainty and possibility!

Never go by the NAB cup as a guide, you know this.

Bomber was cotton wooling them, you could tell they weren't to interested.

They will be top 4 for sure, we have the depth now with both Goddard and Chappy also on the field.

Good players even better leaders.

Do you think the players really care about Demetriou? I had gotten the feeling the players don't buy into any of the political/power crap.

I wonder whether any training sharpness would be more related to the Herald Sun reports and the general tendency of the players to get behind each-other and play well each time the footy public or media tries to stick the boot in...

Great report JM, much appreciated. I’m friggin RAPT to hear that Dempsey is in full training; I really didn’t like his chances at being ready for round one, but now it looks as though he may even play this Friday.

Is Kommer in full training?

How are the forward entries looking? Is there any focus at all on trying to create space and spot up leading targets, particularly on slow plays. Is the fwd line practicing any sort of cohesive leading patterns.

No

Yes, Yes but training drills don't always carry over to match days as we saw last Tuesday.

Carlisle?

Trained today.  He hasn't been injured.