Training Monday 6/1/14

Training in cool,windy conditions at Tullamarine.

As usual I will try to gauge the mood of the session. Returning after the Christmas break the atmosphere seemed to be a combination of relaxed efficiency as the group went into well tried routines emphasising rapid movement of the ball down the ground with an emphasis on efficient hand and foot skills while maintaining as much defensive pressure as possible in a non contact situation.

As the session progressed things became more vigorous and vocal with half ground contests and eventually some limited tackling and spoiling with the occasional “Give the ■■■■■■■ handball off, take the easy one.” when a player was slow to move the ball out of defence.

One of the more interesting drills today was tackling. Players split into pairs with one player wearing an orange padded bag on his chest to cushion the front on tackle which was sometimes varied to a tackle from the side. Sometimes both players would start from a position kneeling on one knee to give or receive the tackle. There was a constant instruction to “keep your hands up” which I didn’t,to understand at first but a coach explained to me that there was a tendency for players to approach a tackle with arms spread wide, almost like signalling a wide in cricket, whereas if you keep your hands close together in front of your face to tackle your opponent you will lay a much better two armed tackle. Good to see this skill development in my opinion.

I know that great interest lies with the new players. To be honest it’s difficult to draw to many conclusions from these non match situations however Chapman is looking unsurprisingly impressive.

Edwards should a nice burst of speed and skill in traffic in simulated match play and Raynor,s handball skills seem creative and effective - especially the long handball to a running player.

After the main training finished a number of players had goal kicking practice and it was pleasing to see Joe being put through his paces with some angle shots from about thirty metres out which have been a problem for him as well as directly in front. I think this practice will develop a routine to give him confidence and at some point I expect that things will suddenly “click” into place. Myers, Baguley and Heppell were also practising and poor Dyson couldn’t do much right from the right forward pocket in windy conditions but I’m sure this was just an aberration.

In sum a good first up session for 2014 which should please us all.

Thanks for the great insight into training once again Jackie.

Thanks.

Finally some football to read about.

Cheers Jackie

Gracias senor Mihocek.

thanks heaps for these reports. After the debacle of the ashes at least this brought a smile to my face. 

Just one question, does Joe D look liked he has been able to put on much weight?

Footy!

Footy!

Yay!

Footy!

Yay!

It's coming boot, not too far now.
Oh, and cheers JM for the training reports, much appreciated at this time of year.

thanks heaps for these reports. After the debacle of the ashes at least this brought a smile to my face. 

Just one question, does Joe D look liked he has been able to put on much weight?

He looks stronger to me but that's fairly subjective.  I think it is safe to assume he is fitter so he should run out games/season much better and he has been the focus of a lot of intensive training while the main group was in Colorado.  The smart play will be for him to lead up with his height and long reach rather than wrestling one on one in the goal square.

Great as always Jackie. Thank-you.

Interesting about the new skill of tackling. Have noticed a bit that our players don’t stick em as much and maybe Bomber has noticed that too.

Another excellent report for which all supporters are truly grateful. 

Another question if you don't mind.  Hurley: how's he looking?  Has he fined down at all?

Heya JM,

How do you find out when these training sessions are.

Are they all open?

ah footy.

thanks JM

Heya JM,

Are they all open?

They've just posted a whole heap of training times for the coming month on the EFC site.

Another excellent report for which all supporters are truly grateful. 

Another question if you don't mind.  Hurley: how's he looking?  Has he fined down at all?

Hurley looks much the same as ever. 

General consensus is that he will play in defense this year.

The forward line looked pretty dysfunctional last year with Hurley continually leading to the pocket - its not a foregone conclusion that he will be great in defense and certainly he will need to learn the patterns of play that made defense quite probably our best line last year.

I didn't think that Egan brought much to the table as forward coach last year in terms of finding things that you could point to that indicated a well oiled forward unit.  Wellman will be a loss as defensive coach and I have heard a number of people tell me that because Egan played in defense he will be a good defensive coach.  I certainly hope they are right but if there is another problem such as the ability to communicate effectively with players such as Crameri then we are shuffling deck chairs.

Heya JM,

Are they all open?

Generally Monday, Wednesday, Friday at 10 am - Club has published a list as em2009 has pointed out.

Unlike the time under Hird the sessions are open but there are restrictions about where you can stand etc.  which are fair enough but if you go outside the cafe you will be ok..  If you see me or Tiffany there say hello.

I think there is a cricket match on the second oval on Friday afternoon.

I see bellcho being more of a forward than a ruckman next year. one being he’s a far better forward than ryder and two being ryder is far, far more beneficial to the team when he takes the bulk of the ruckwork.

Heya JM,

Are they all open?

Generally Monday, Wednesday, Friday at 10 am - Club has published a list as em2009 has pointed out.

Unlike the time under Hird the sessions are open but there are restrictions about where you can stand etc.  which are fair enough but if you go outside the cafe you will be ok..  If you see me or Tiffany there say hello.

I think there is a cricket match on the second oval on Friday afternoon.

Wha? They put a cricket pitch in the middle of one of the ovals... :wallbash:

(surely not?)