Training Monday 9/1/17

Glad to hear more about Laverde. He needs to take a few giant steps this season and l feel he is capable. Francis sounds like he is making up for lost time, and is making every post a winner. When these 2 are regulars in the 22, we will be looking in pretty good shape.

What about Watson, howā€™d he look?

Good to hear about McKenna, I reckon heā€™s gonna be in the best 22.

Great report, thanks.

The first hour of the session was spent with players in 4 groups of 8 and rotating to a different drill after about 10 minutes. One group had 2 players evading the couch and working to set up a shot at goal from the pocket. I was particularly disappointed at the number of easy shots missed in this drill from players of all groups.
Maybe they should have had settee shots instead?

ā€¦ seems like they were Lounging around. Would have been worse still if they had someone on the Chaise

My attitude is, sofa, so good

I like the drills where they get their futon the ball as quick as they can.

What about Watson, how'd he look?

Great report, thanks.

Watson was fantastic for the hour I was there. Constantly coaching and supporting everybody. It was noticable that him and Hep were the leaders with their voice out there.

Also I noticed Myersā€™ acceleration from contests was better than everyone else. Very powerfully built.

Hartley kicks at goal like a full back.

Irish kicks like an Irishman.

Parish too couldnā€™t nail many goals in either of the goal kicking drills streaming into 50 on the run, nor Langford.

McKernan had a lot of fumbles going in non-pressure situations and looked to lack confidenceā€¦ Not surprising after the year he had.

Green genuinely doesnā€™t miss and has a great step sideway to get free and get good quality shots on goal. I reckon weā€™ve picked up a ripper there.

Hurley looked polished and skillful on both feet. Anyone worried about him maybe losing a little muscle shouldnā€™t be. Heā€™s still a beast!

Hocking could kill someone in round 1ā€¦ Would not want to be on the receiving end of his physicality.

Stanton looks incredible. Fit, polished and skillful. Heā€™ll surprise a few again this yearā€¦ back him to have a great year.

What about Watson, how'd he look?

Great report, thanks.

Watson was fantastic for the hour I was there. Constantly coaching and supporting everybody. It was noticable that him and Hep were the leaders with their voice out there.

Also I noticed Myersā€™ acceleration from contests was better than everyone else. Very powerfully built.

Hartley kicks at goal like a full back.

Irish kicks like an Irishman.

Parish too couldnā€™t nail many goals in either of the goal kicking drills streaming into 50 on the run, nor Langford.

McKernan had a lot of fumbles going in non-pressure situations and looked to lack confidenceā€¦ Not surprising after the year he had.

Green genuinely doesnā€™t miss and has a great step sideway to get free and get good quality shots on goal. I reckon weā€™ve picked up a ripper there.

Hurley looked polished and skillful on both feet. Anyone worried about him maybe losing a little muscle shouldnā€™t be. Heā€™s still a beast!

Hocking could kill someone in round 1ā€¦ Would not want to be on the receiving end of his physicality.

Stanton looks incredible. Fit, polished and skillful. Heā€™ll surprise a few again this yearā€¦ back him to have a great year.

Giggedy ā€¦

Thanks for the report mate, great stuff.

Would it be fair to say that Laverde has spent most of his pre-season training as a forward, with Langford training mostly as a midfielder?

Also, how has Parish been looking so far? Clearly heā€™s put on some size but I havenā€™t heard an awful lot about how heā€™s tracking after such a strong debut season last year. Cheers again.

Yes I think today was a very good indication of their intentions. The first 3/4 of the session everyone completed all the same drills, it was the last drill where there were clearly separated into forwards, midfielders (where Langford was) and defenders.

As has been pointed out by others previously Langford has put on extra size and is looking more and more comfortable in the midfield group.

Parish is in a different category, he just does everything well and looks like heā€™s been there for years, similar but not to the same level as Zerrett.

Maybe you and I are relatedā€¦ youā€™re not my long lost sister by any chance??

Haha long lost brother, perhaps! :smiley: Thanks again for the updates mate, great to hear that Parish is still keeping up nicely. I like that weā€™re grooming Langford to play as a midfielder, however I suspect that heā€™ll still be used mostly on a HFF when in the seniors this year as spots in the midfield will be tough to come by.

Thanks for the report mate, great stuff.

Would it be fair to say that Laverde has spent most of his pre-season training as a forward, with Langford training mostly as a midfielder?

Also, how has Parish been looking so far? Clearly heā€™s put on some size but I havenā€™t heard an awful lot about how heā€™s tracking after such a strong debut season last year. Cheers again.

Yes I think today was a very good indication of their intentions. The first 3/4 of the session everyone completed all the same drills, it was the last drill where there were clearly separated into forwards, midfielders (where Langford was) and defenders.

As has been pointed out by others previously Langford has put on extra size and is looking more and more comfortable in the midfield group.

Parish is in a different category, he just does everything well and looks like heā€™s been there for years, similar but not to the same level as Zerrett.

Maybe you and I are relatedā€¦ youā€™re not my long lost sister by any chance??

Haha long lost brother, perhaps! :smiley: Thanks again for the updates mate, great to hear that Parish is still keeping up nicely. I like that weā€™re grooming Langford to play as a midfielder, however I suspect that heā€™ll still be used mostly on a HFF when in the seniors this year as spots in the midfield will be tough to come by.

Thread needs more paddy whackers.

Any indication on who might be winning the race for that rebounding HBF spot? Early days with no preseason games played yet I know but would be interested in hearing opinions of the training watchers.

McKenna finally going to live up to the huge hype around him? Well regarded as one of the best kicks on our list but has he got all the other attributes up to a good level?

McGrath already that good that will just walk into that spot?

Morgan? Super excited to see him play with his elite attributes being speed and kicking. But itā€™s not positive to hear about his poor overhead skills which is not ideal for a defender.

Gleeson . Will he just keep surprising the whippers and keep nailing down that spot. Improved massively last year with his intercept marking and all round reliability but definitely has to improve his attacking game which is possible considering he has above average leg speed.

Any indication on who might be winning the race for that rebounding HBF spot? Early days with no preseason games played yet I know but would be interested in hearing opinions of the training watchers.

McKenna finally going to live up to the huge hype around him? Well regarded as one of the best kicks on our list but has he got all the other attributes up to a good level?

McGrath already that good that will just walk into that spot?

Morgan? Super excited to see him play with his elite attributes being speed and kicking. But itā€™s not positive to hear about his poor overhead skills which is not ideal for a defender.

Gleeson . Will he just keep surprising the whippers and keep nailing down that spot. Improved massively last year with his intercept marking and all round reliability but definitely has to improve his attacking game which is possible considering he has above average leg speed.

Apparently Stanton and J Merrett have been training down back as well.

Does anyone know if Jerrett is being trained for this role or if heā€™s been training more to shut down small forwards?

What role does Baguley play? Back pocket stopper or does he move up the field now to a more creative role?

Donā€™t think Gleesonā€™s spot in the team is in jeopardy. Steadily improved every year, played over 20 games the last 2 years and is still only 22.

The position I am most puzzled about is the wings. I donā€™t think we have natural wingmen like an Isaac Smith, Brad Hill type on pour list. Currently I have Parish and Zaka on my best 22 wings, but I see both as types that are best suited inside the contest. Colyer is a speedy gut runner but seems to flash in and out of games too much and is best suited to a half forward role. In time, McGrath and LAV may be able to play that role but not yet. Stanton doesnā€™t have the leg speed or kicking skills for the role IMO. Any ideas based on what youā€™ve seen at training?

Just book Daniher's surgery already...

Come on. You JUST know they are going to wait until a week before the season starts to do the deed ā€¦

:wink:

Stantonā€™s skills are fine. What he lacks in leg speed he more than makes up for in endurance and repeat efforts. He plays the link man role pushing to create options as well as anyone in the league though his lack of explosiveness does make him tagable.

Zaharakis is actually turning into a pretty similar player with a better top end speed but he doesnā€™t have that explosive acceleration either.

Parish also seems to have that in endurance but is vastly superior to either of them when played close to the contest.

I think in colyer, Fanta, tippa, lav, and McGrath weā€™ll have enough pace running through half forward/wing to balance the slow and steady types. The big problem with the team circa 2012 through 15 was that we didnā€™t have enough genuine pace to counter balance the big bodied plodders and station types. It was why our best form corresponded very closely with lichaā€™s fitness.

I think this year Stanton and zaha will still be easy to tag but sides will be unlikely to sit on both and may well try to shut down hepp or jobe or zerret instead.

Donā€™t get me wrong, Iā€™d love a winger with both elite speed and endurance like Smith but Hawthorneā€™s pace has never purely been about hill and Smith. Rioli, Poppy, and breust all take it in turn to provide a bit of run up the ground.

The position I am most puzzled about is the wings. I don't think we have natural wingmen like an Isaac Smith, Brad Hill type on pour list. Currently I have Parish and Zaka on my best 22 wings, but I see both as types that are best suited inside the contest. Colyer is a speedy gut runner but seems to flash in and out of games too much and is best suited to a half forward role. In time, McGrath and LAV may be able to play that role but not yet. Stanton doesn't have the leg speed or kicking skills for the role IMO. Any ideas based on what you've seen at training?

Jake Long?

And I think Colyer will surprise a few. Is a player that took a while to get his kicking sorted. He came good but it was while he was being royally Sagaā€™d. And he hasnā€™t ever really had a consistent run at it, given the most games he has played in a season is 12. So I donā€™t think weā€™ve seen anywhere near the best of Trav. Given he is 25, he is right in the middle of what should be the peak of his footballing career. Lid off.

Just book Daniher's surgery already...

I heard positive news last week from someone at the club. They are really confident he is fine. Heā€™ll be in full training very soon. Mid Jan most likely.

Oh good so itā€™s just a ā€œknockā€ā€¦

Francis outpointing Hooker 3 times in marking contests is pretty amazing. He is going to be unstoppable for us in years to come.

Great to see Green also as he building up to fitness winning over the fans and his teammates. Will be an inspired pick up.

The position I am most puzzled about is the wings. I don't think we have natural wingmen like an Isaac Smith, Brad Hill type on pour list. Currently I have Parish and Zaka on my best 22 wings, but I see both as types that are best suited inside the contest. Colyer is a speedy gut runner but seems to flash in and out of games too much and is best suited to a half forward role. In time, McGrath and LAV may be able to play that role but not yet. Stanton doesn't have the leg speed or kicking skills for the role IMO. Any ideas based on what you've seen at training?

Stanton, Goddard, Zaka, Colyer and Laverde are my top picks. I think all offer different dimensions that could really throw oppositions off.

It seems so trite to worry if Hirdyā€™s situation will impact our season but worry I doā€¦

Hopefully the boys hold up.

Iā€™m expecting a good year from Stanton if he has retained his running ability. The rules moved in his favour while he had a year off. Removal of subs and cap on rotations, meant that last year there were less clearance contests and the game opened up towards the end of quarters and especially in the last quarter as players became exhausted - which is why the bulldogs running linkup and continual ball movement became so potent as the game progressed.

Injury free Stanton could have his best year ever.

I'm expecting a good year from Stanton if he has retained his running ability. The rules moved in his favour while he had a year off. Removal of subs and cap on rotations, meant that last year there were less clearance contests and the game opened up towards the end of quarters and especially in the last quarter as players became exhausted - which is why the bulldogs running linkup and continual ball movement became so potent as the game progressed.

Injury free Stanton could have his best year ever.

Depth of midfielders on bulldogs list was also so important for them. Hrovat, honeybunch, jong, Stevens, one of webb or Williams all played roles over the course of the year.