Training Notes: Wednesday 13th February

It’s the E talking

Just a small rehab group training so far

1 Like

You’re scared of the dating convention on a new training thread huh?!

3 Likes

He certainly didn’t impress me in the VFL matches I saw last year.

Although he was our first pick in 2017, it was a lateish third rounder.

Wrong thread maybe, but we have had some success with our “mid range” picks (say 20-40) in recent years.
I would say, allowing for early calls on potential from what we have seen so far,…
Tick - Begley, Redman, probably Ridley
Cross - Morgan, Houlahan
Likely big tick, but too early to call - Mozzie
Mutch just outside the range (40s) is also pretty good for a pick that high.
That’s not bad.

Depending where you stretch it back to, Laverde (pick 20) looks OK without being a confirmed win and Zerrett the year before was steal of the century.

I think you guys are forgetting someone…

Jason Ashby?

3 Likes

Think…more Italian

Fantasia was 55

1 Like

Zaharakis was (23) 20-40 but long time ago

Oh - that’s not what we’re talking about?
Carry on then, don’t mind this fool.

Older folks tend to use more hands on, old fashioned terms. Like shelving.

1 Like

Whatever floats your boat

Water?

1 Like

Has been known too

There’s a pretty big difference between pick 20 and pick 49 (houlahan’s pick). I’d think of 20 as a fairly early pick, while a late 40s one is in the back half of the draft

Yes I agree. The likelihood is that a Pick 49 won’t play 10 senior games. I hadn’t actually recalled that Houlahan was that high, I was thinking mid to high 30s.
It makes our “mid range” drafting in recent years look even a little better.

On that basis its not looking good for Dylan Clarke (63, 2016) and Koby Mutch (42, 2016) who are starting 3rd year / second preseason.
Even though Dylan Clarke finished 3rd, just 2 votes behind Nick Hind in the 2018 best and fairest and is a ball magnet inside mid who has had a good preseason so far, and Mutch plays pretty well also, they are down in the midfielder pecking order and either or both need very very strong seasons at VFL level to stake a claim to play in the AFL team. Even then it will need an injury for them to get games.

It doesn’t help that we are a top 4-6 team ( on paper )